F1 2017 drivers helmets :

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GM7

F1 2017 drivers helmets :

Sneak Peek of Romain Grosjean's helmet design :

Last year helmet :

GM7

Re: F1 2017 drivers helmets :

Scuderia1967

Gosh, I hate those bling-y Red Bull lids! As for Grosjean, I don't get why he is posting these daily teasers, the paint job isn't that different from the last year's one

GM7

Grosjean's 2017 helmet :

It's look like Microsoft is now a Haas's sponsor.

Jolle
Jolle

Although the FIA had banned a new design at every Grand Prix, I won't see any of these over designed flashy helmets from the last couple of years becoming icons like the ones from 30-40 years ago. With colors and shades, less is definitely more.

RA168E
RA168E

I think that Vettels helmet he started using when he joined Ferrari will become iconic, its simplistic and genuinely beautiful to the eyes, in the same what that Buttons, Prosts, Sennas and Schumachers are.

Scuderia1967

GM7 wrote:Grosjean's 2017 helmet :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C36QgGGWcAALT0m.jpg

It's look like Microsoft is now a Haas's sponsor.
It already was last year

F1HelmetCollector

Stoffel Vandoorne posted a sneak peek of his new helmet on twitter
You can follow me on my twitter: https://twitter.com/F1HLM

diego1960

My God, these are terrible...
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

j2004p
j2004p

diego1960 wrote:My God, these are terrible...
I honestly mourn the loss of JB's helmet design now he's retiring.

A clean identifiable design which worked well with one off 'specials' and alternative colour schemes.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

most look like helmets you would find at your local helmet store flashy enough to catch the eye of your average scooter-driving 16 year old.

and agreed with the above statement about less is more.

I vividly recall the helmets of Schumacher, Alesi, Mansell, Berger , Senna , Prost , Hill, Coulthard, Hakkinnen, Hunt, Irvine, Villeneuve, Barrichello.

modern times helmets i could only remember more or less Alonso's helmet, Button's normal and Pink helmet and Heikki's Angry Birds helmet,
and Vettel's current helmet.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diego1960

Hakkinen's design and colour scheme was my personal favorite, although I am heavily biased as he was the first driver I ever watched, the team I supported as a kid etc.

Schumacher's was lovely up until 2004 if I am not mistaken when he dropped the black/yellow. Of course in his comeback it was one of the best helmet designs, a sign that things went south in the aesthetics department in the years he was not racing.

Senna had a lovely helmet too, Prost, although I really disliked Villeneuve's helmet, however it was instantly recognisable, something we can't say now about 80% of the grid.

The question is, do drivers have no taste anymore (ok sunbective that is), or do teams "force" them to choose a heavily cluttered design with crome and fade and all this nonsense? If I recall Red Bull influences driver's helmet designs although I might be wrong.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

cplchanb
cplchanb

diego1960 wrote:Hakkinen's design and colour scheme was my personal favorite, although I am heavily biased as he was the first driver I ever watched, the team I supported as a kid etc.

Schumacher's was lovely up until 2004 if I am not mistaken when he dropped the black/yellow. Of course in his comeback it was one of the best helmet designs, a sign that things went south in the aesthetics department in the years he was not racing.

Senna had a lovely helmet too, Prost, although I really disliked Villeneuve's helmet, however it was instantly recognisable, something we can't say now about 80% of the grid.

The question is, do drivers have no taste anymore (ok sunbective that is), or do teams "force" them to choose a heavily cluttered design with crome and fade and all this nonsense? If I recall Red Bull influences driver's helmet designs although I might be wrong.

well as you can clearly see with RB...their corporate logo must pretty much dominate the helmet leaving little room for any creativity except for the top as we saw with danny ric's one offs

PlatinumZealot

If you gave me some names plus a few colouring pencils and told me to scribble their respective helmets on a piece of paper I would probably make good enough renditions for the drivers below....

Aint gonna lie!

Old drivers: Schumacher (red one), Senna , Hill, Coulthard, Barrichello.

Not so old drivers:
Button, Alonso, hamilton (both designs), hulkenberg, massa, rosberg ( both yellow one and the new black one), vettel (new design), heikki (anry birds), heideld (full black),kubica (the black one with the yellow lines)

As a guy who started watching in 2001 I admit I cannot realy remember any other designs if you had asked me to draw them!

Some drivers have complicated designs like alonso and hamilton but the overall colour scheme is simple.

It is arguable if simpler designs are better but they sure are easier to remember!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GTO99

I'm looking fwd to seeing the new helmet color scheme of Bottas and Stroll.
I will miss Rosberg's very simple carbon black & silver colors.
I much prefer the simple designs of Alonso, Rosberg, Bottas, Senna, Hakkinen, Schumacher, Villeneuve (Jacques), Coulthard, Mansell, Piquet Sr.
My top 3 would be Senna, Mansell & Piquet
Last edited by GTO99 on 13 Feb 2017, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.