Sporting Regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Daffy911

Sporting Regulations

Hi,

I want to start a discussion on how the sporting regs might be re-worked to improve F1. My concept is as follows:

Overall Aims:
• Mix things up a bit
• Reward good performance
• Encourage max speeds and contested overtaking throughout the race.

1. 2 x free practices on Friday.
2. 1 x practice Saturday morning
3. Saturday afternoon Speed Test. Current Q1, Q2, Q3 format. Each team given one set of tyres in Q1, 2 sets in Q2 and 3 sets in Q3. Tyres to be Ultra Soft Spec. Tyres to be used for Speed Test only. Unlimited runs available.
4. Points awarded for Speed Test: 100, 95, 90 etc. Top 20 positions score points.
5. Interval points awarded as follows based on best speed test times:
0 to ≤ 0.1 second interval: 2 pts
> 0.1 to ≤ 0.2 second interval: 1 pt
6. The same engine and affiliated parts to be used for Strategy Race and Speed Test.
7. Sun morning practice.
8. Sun afternoon Strategy Race. 2 hr max duration.
9. Grid positions determined by reversed order of speed test.
10. Points awarded for Strat Race: 100, 95, 90... etc. Top 20 positions score points.
11. Tyres selected by teams. Limited to a controlled quantity of sets of any dry type for the race. Limit excludes inters and wets.
12. Tyres designed for adequate lifetime to allow aggressive racing throughout the race.
13. Two different compounds required to be used for each race. Choice is free.
14. No fuel quantity limit.
15. The fuel flow rate is limited to encourage efficiency. Set at a level that allows aggressive racing throughout the race. Philosophy of ‘max power from finite fuel’, not ‘conservation of performance to minimise fuel’.
16. Standard specification fuel.
17. Standard specification lubricants.
18. No mandatory blue flag give way. Blue flags informational only.
19. DRS as is currently used.
20. No driver communication except for safety messages.
21. No pit wall car control. All adjustments once the race starts have to be by the driver only.
22. ‘Following Interval’ points awarded as follows based on finishing times:
0 to ≤ 0.5 second interval: 2 pts
> 0.5 to ≤ 1 second interval: 1 pts

Comments welcome......

sprint car76

Re: Sporting Regulations

All F1 needs is less aero more mechanical grip and better distribution of prize money. Gimicks don't work, watch nascar this year.

SR71

sprint car76 wrote:All F1 needs is less aero more mechanical grip and better distribution of prize money. Gimicks don't work, watch nascar this year.

With a focus on mechanical grip Mercedes domination would be 2-4 minutes ahead of everyone else the last 3 seasons.

F1 needs engine parity or regs that engourage low cost PU development.

Once teams have the ability to equalize PU performance through open development the aero regulations allow all teams to close gaps based on engineering and funding.

Formula one should never be for the poor teams, we already have many racing series that cover those financial and budgetary structures.

mclaren111

sprint car76 wrote:All F1 needs is less aero more mechanical grip and better distribution of prize money. Gimicks don't work, watch nascar this year.
And better engine sound / better sound equipment at tracks for TV audiences [-o< [-o<

adrianjordan

mclaren111 wrote:
And better engine sound / better sound equipment at tracks for TV audiences [-o< [-o<
Maybe with a media company running things now we might get decent trackside microphones and audio feed. That would help at least!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

erikejw

2 mandatory pitstops per race would work wonder, they have it in other series.

It will solve the problem of passing and processional races.

It will make the drivers push at all times.

Strategies can differ, early pitstops and pass the field or wait and hope for rain or a safetycar. It will be harder to control the race from the front.

GM7

My sporting regulation concept : What do you think about it ?

zac510

These threads are hilarious; nobody ever reads anybody else's post, they just jump straight to spouting off how brilliant their idea is.

There's never any evidence based analysis either, just an idea and an immediate conclusion, for example "put more fuel in and there will be overtaking." The law of unintended consequences is strong in F1 so I rarely believe that changing a rule will result in such a clear and uncontroversial result.

strad

Once teams have the ability to equalize PU performance
Please tell me when engines have been equal in performance thru individual development .
They weren't thank goodness. Why in the world would you want them to have equal power?
I don't want nor need another spec series. Rather I would turn them loose to develop the entire car.
Open up the rules don't close them down.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ENGINE TUNER

Turn fp3 into a reverse WDC grid qually race approximately 50 minutes long.
Average that result with the qually as currently comprised to set the grid for the GP

What would this accomplish?
Increase spectacle for both saturday(and sunday), thus increasing saturday ticket sales, increased revenue for the track operators.
also increase tv viewership on saturday, increasing advertising money.

Also, more mixed grids for sunday= better races... increased revenue... yadda yadda yadda

Also, It would force the drivers to be better at passing, defending and battling without contact. No longer could a lower quality driver in a vastly superior car just qually at the front and cruise home to victory.

Oh and the driver and team with the most wins should always win their respective championships. F1 should be about winning more than everything.

WaikeCU

Mclaren are struggling right now and it actually got me to think.

First, I was thinking about following scenarios:

Considering Mclaren having tremendous PU issues at the moment. Would it be better if they didn't participate the first three races and use the time to fix the issues until they have a performance worthly car to participate in race weekends, because at the moment I can only see them breaking down on every day of the weekend.

But then, a brand like Mclaren has to be present on race weekends. It would be a devastating loss marketing wise, economically and financially if they aren't present on race weekends. So that's a no go.

So finally, it gave me an idea. Would it be interesting if teams who didn't managed to score any points on a race weekend be granted an extra day of testing during the season?