2017 Pecking Order Speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
continuum16

Re: 2017 Pecking Order Speculation

I'd say 10:1 odds on a McLaren back row lockout in a few weeks.

According to Alonso they have less power than last year atm (meaning even less than Sauber) and are only on day 2 of testing and development 6 days in...plus it's unlikely that both cars will even be functioning come qualifying anyways. :?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... eliability

Elsewhere we have Massa targeting podiums: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/188 ... diums-2017

and Force India with "weaknesses"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... essesEURTM

I think these can be the bookends of the midfield (at the beginning) with STR, Renault, and Haas in between.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

GPR-A duplicate2

dren wrote:Mclaren (I expect Mclaren to fight for best of the rest towards the end of the year)
At what race can we expect Alonso announcing his retirement? OR an announcement about joining RENAULT?

IamLegend

continuum16 wrote:I'd say 10:1 odds on a McLaren back row lockout in a few weeks.

According to Alonso they have less power than last year atm (meaning even less than Sauber) and are only on day 2 of testing and development 6 days in...plus it's unlikely that both cars will even be functioning come qualifying anyways. :?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... eliability

Elsewhere we have Massa targeting podiums: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/188 ... diums-2017

and Force India with "weaknesses"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... essesEURTM

I think these can be the bookends of the midfield (at the beginning) with STR, Renault, and Haas in between.
With all their "weakness" they did a 1:20:161!?? Would be wonderful to see what they can do at their best! :D

Sevach

Ok, updated.

Ferrari> Mercedes> unsure between Williams and Red Bull> Force India> STR>Renault> Mclaren> Sauber.

IamLegend

Sevach wrote:Ok, updated.

Ferrari> Mercedes> unsure between Williams and Red Bull> Force India> STR>Renault> Mclaren> Sauber.
Agreed as of today. :mrgreen:

santos

I wouldn't be so sure about who's first... Ferrari is looking strong, but Mercedes... i'm sure they have something more to show when they get to Australia. The midfield is where the fun is. FI, STR, HAAS and Renault, will give plenty of nice shows.

f1316

OK, I think we're now at a stage where we can be slightly more informed:

Mercedes/Ferrari
Red Bull
Williams
Haas
Renault/McLaren
Toro Rosso
Force India
Sauber

McLaren, imo, depends on whether Honda candeliver some more power by Melbourne; if they had delivered the Mercedes 2016 PU performance they were originally projecting, I'd have put them 4th, but if they can get a decent jump - let's say up to Renault 2016 levels - I think maybe they can be there or thereabouts with the Renault and Haas cars (with Alonso finishing the race ahead of those cars).

Ray Okay

Based on testing so far and my crystal ball [-o<
  • 1 Mercedes
    2 Ferarri
    3 Red Bull
    4 Williams
    5 Toro Rosso
    6 Force India
    7 Renault
    8 Haas
    9 McLaren
    10 Sauber

f1316

How about we also speculate intra team battles (or am I asking for trouble)?

My guess:

Hamilton over Bottas (fairly convincingly)
Vettel over Kimi (fairly convincingly)
Max over Ricciardo (close but definite edge)
Massa over Stroll (but neither turn in anything too spectacular)
Grosjean over kmag
Alonso over stoffel (quali battle might be close but Alonso has way more points)
Hulk over palmer (fairly convincingly)
Sainz over Kvyat (fairly convincingly)
Perez over Ocon (but close)
Wehrlein over Ericsson

FrukostScones

1. Mercedes 2. Ferrari 3. Red Bull
4. Williams
5. Toro Rosso 6. Force India 7. Renault 8. Haas (very hard to judge these 4)
9. McLaren (because of PU)
10. Sauber
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ripper

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Pecking Order Speculation

FrukostScones wrote:1. Mercedes 2. Ferrari 3. Red Bull
4. Williams
5. Toro Rosso 6. Force India 7. Renault 8. Haas (very hard to judge these 4)
9. McLaren (because of PU)
10. Sauber
Well i agree, i expect a decent margin between Mercedes and Ferrari/RB. I think that there will be a good battle between the two teams.

Midfield is very hard to judge. Haas looks solid, TR is fine but has some reliability problems. FI has to work on the package and Renault is still a mystery to me.

bosanac1

1Mercedes
gap 0.2-0.3
2. Ferrari
gap 0.4-0.5
3. Red Bull
4. Williams
gap 0.5
5. Haas
6. Force India
gap 0.5
7. Toro Rosso
8. Renault
gap 1 second
9. McLaren
10. Sauber

continuum16

I think this year will be exciting. Ferrari and Mercedes are clearly ahead. Red Bull is near Williams now, but I think they can join the top two before the end of 2017.
Williams will be like force India in the back end of last year—in their own zone in 7th and 8th each race—but should surprise at some tracks (monza, Canada, etc.). Then there will be an almighty scrap for the last points between STR, Renault, Haas and FI.

Sorry McLaren (read honda), but points will be hard to come by. More 2015 than 16. Sauber is the new manor.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

ripper

Honestly I expect a good leap by RB: Renault will bring a new engine spec and I suppose the aero dep will bring some news

matt_s

Ray Okay wrote:Based on testing so far and my crystal ball [-o<
  • 1 Mercedes
    2 Ferarri
    3 Red Bull
    4 Williams
    5 Toro Rosso
    6 Force India
    7 Renault
    8 Haas
    9 McLaren
    10 Sauber
This would be my close to my prediction, but I think McLaren could be above Haas by Aus. The last set of runs that Alonso did today were close to what Grosjean has been doing, and I reckon that Honda have more room for improvement than Ferrari do. ;) :lol: