limited DRS or radar DRS solution?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
notsofast

Re: limited DRS or radar DRS solution?

F1 is like tennis. One spends the whole match waiting for a few breakpoints. And yet, lots of people watch.

GM7

Why not using a system of countdown, all drivers has 10 seconds per lap to use the DRS, but if a driver is under an one second gap with the driver at the front he can use the DRS as much as he wants.

First, it's allows to the driver at the front to defend is position with his 10 sec DRS "battery".
Secondly, it's allows low drag during 10 sec for all the drivers, so less fuel saving.
Thirdly, it's allows a faster speed, so longer brake distances and more energy recovery.
Lastly, drivers can take risk if they are using the DRS a little bit too soon at the end of a corner and makes a mistake.

Wass85

We need to keep it clear and simple. I think my proposal of allowing DRS until you are within 1 second is a great idea.

Another proposal is to give them a usage limit per race with a KERS type bar for the fans to see on screen, both ideas are better than what they have now.

GM7

We need to keep it clear and simple. I think my proposal of allowing DRS until you are within 1 second is a great idea.

Another proposal is to give them a usage limit per race with a KERS type bar for the fans to see on screen, both ideas are better than what they have now.
That's exactly what i said :lol:

Wass85

GM7 wrote:

That's exactly what i said :lol:
10 seconds per lap is way too much though, it would basically be the same as it is now.

GM7

10 seconds per lap is way too much though, it would basically be the same as it is now.
The Kers was about 6.67 sec per lap, so let's do 7 sec with the DRS. I'm not sure but FR3.5 is using a system like this.

Shrieker

The OP brings up a valid point, and it was discussed here and here in detail before.

I for one am glad some of you guys aren't in charge of F1. DRS -or some sort of other compensation- is needed as long as dirty air has a cornering effect on the following car - which will only increase this season and the upcoming years . Unfortunately this effect prevents close racing, much more so for cars that are at the pointy end of the grid. So much so that we rarely see fights for the lead in a race and lets's face it, it is what matters the most.

What is disliked about DRS is the fact that it nullifies braking duels and side by side racing on some (most ?) of the tracks. The OP makes a plausible suggestion; a simpler one would be putting transponders on the cars so the car being attacked can open up it's DRS flap when the attacking car gets within one meter.

Hence it could be called the one second/ one meter rule. The technology and the infrastructure to do it is there - the will however, is not unfortunately.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

krisfx

Shrieker wrote:The OP brings up a valid point, and it was discussed here and here in detail before.

I for one am glad some of you guys aren't in charge of F1. DRS -or some sort of other compensation- is needed as long as dirty air has a cornering effect on the following car - which will only increase this season and the upcoming years . Unfortunately this effect prevents close racing, much more so for cars that are at the pointy end of the grid. So much so that we rarely see fights for the lead in a race and lets's face it, it is what matters the most.

What is disliked about DRS is the fact that it nullifies braking duels and side by side racing on some (most ?) of the tracks. The OP makes a plausible suggestion; a simpler one would be putting transponders on the cars so the car being attacked can open up it's DRS flap when the attacking car gets within one meter.

Hence it could be called the one second/ one meter rule. The technology and the infrastructure to do it is there - the will however, is not unfortunately.

That's because F1 (led by the masses, apparently) has thrown itself into a state of "needing more overtaking". This means, that if FOM see 25 overtakes per race, that's better than 5 overtakes per race.

What real racing fans want to see is the battle, the chase, the race craft. As a fan, I would rather see Hamilton and Vettel duelling, than Vettel sailing past with the rear wing wide open half way down the 7364783624 mile long straights, which have become staple in the Tilke tracks. I think this thought process was lost on the rule makers.

Shrieker

Did you watch the season finale in Abu Dhabi last year ? Even with Hamilton BACKING EVERYONE UP, and not one but TWO drs zones, how many overtakes did we see ? Hell, how many attempts even ?? Rosberg overtook VES who was on very old tires. And IIRC there was one more overtake and that was it. It was a convoluted train with no hope of even an attempt occurring. If things had run their normal course we woudln't have seen any attempts AT ALL, period.
krisfx wrote:
What real racing fans want to see is the battle, the chase, the race craft.
Which is hampered by dirty air, and we see none of it. A car arrives behind another and that's it. Except on the rare occasion where the leading car makes a mistake.

A solution to occasions where DRS is overcooked is being offered, is simple enough and plausible. You get rid of DRS completely, and you'll get your Trulli trains back. Especially with the aero formula we're going into now.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

krisfx

Shrieker wrote:Did you watch the season finale in Abu Dhabi last year ? Even with Hamilton BACKING EVERYONE UP, and not one but TWO drs zones, how many overtakes did we see ? Hell, how many attempts even ?? Rosberg overtook VES who was on very old tires. And IIRC there was one more overtake and that was it. It was a convoluted train with no hope of even an attempt occurring. If things had run their normal course we woudln't have seen any attempts AT ALL, period.
krisfx wrote:
What real racing fans want to see is the battle, the chase, the race craft.
Which is hampered by dirty air, and we see none of it. A car arrives behind another and that's it. Except on the rare occasion where the leading car makes a mistake.

A solution to occasions where DRS is overcooked is being offered, is simple enough and plausible. You get rid of DRS completely, and you'll get your Trulli trains back. Especially with the aero formula we're going into now.

The first part of your argument more or less leans towards removing DRS, as it's clearly not working anyway. In regards to the dirty air, it's not going away any time soon so there must be better solutions out there

notsofast

krisfx wrote:DRS... not going away any time soon so there must be better solutions out there
Well, I like the solution that Shrieker is suggesting. If you're within 1 meter, then you're most likely side-by-side already, and at that point the attacking driver no longer needs the benefit of DRS.

Shrieker

krisfx wrote:
The first part of your argument more or less leans towards removing DRS, as it's clearly not working anyway. In regards to the dirty air, it's not going away any time soon so there must be better solutions out there
No, it's not. My point was, even with drs AND the leader bunching everyone up, drs wasn't enough to even balance out the effect of dirty air, let alone overcome it. Of course in some other tracks and DRS zones, the opposite is true and people hate it when a car zips past another and disappears. And they are right to.

As for the second part.. They toyed around with the front wing flap adjuster, and then there was something about increasing floor area by means of movable aero when following another car closely. The point of the DRS is that probably it's less of a technical challenge (and cheaper) with the same or similar effect.
-Atatürk

Cold Fussion

Wass85 wrote:They are doing it the wrong way around. Instead of gaining DRS when within a second of the car in front all cars should be allowed to use DRS until they are within one second of the car in front, after that it's down to the driver.
So what purpose does DRS serve then?

Drewd11

Cold Fussion wrote:
Wass85 wrote:They are doing it the wrong way around. Instead of gaining DRS when within a second of the car in front all cars should be allowed to use DRS until they are within one second of the car in front, after that it's down to the driver.
I can't speak for you guys, but what I find really entertaining is side by side racing, with one car close enough to the one behind to realistically stand a chance of passing. I think what is missing in DRS right now is a scaling factor: the goal was to enable the car behind to make up enough space on the straight to put them into the braking zone side by side with the car they are challenging, but instead between similar cars we see almost lap by lap trading of position based upon who has DRS for that lap. The issue with DRS for me is the 'free pass' that it gives to the car behind, but this is simply a matter of scale. In/decrease the length of the DRS zone based upon circuit-specific data to ensure that the DRS zone is sufficient to get the car behind NEXT to the car in front (but not past it) in the braking zone, and alter DRS activation length based upon data generated in qualifying (when they are allowed to use DRS).

Wass85

Cold Fussion wrote:
What it is meant to do and what it actually does do are you two different things.