What would make you interested in playing Fantasy F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rizzmonkey
rizzmonkey

What would make you interested in playing Fantasy F1?

Hello!

First time poster here. I have been passionate about F1 for the past 15 years and have recently become more and more intrigued by Fantasy Sports. Fan Duel and Draft Kings have provided a fun experience for sports fans to engage with the game and even do so with real money. But aside from Nascar, they don't offer anything in the auto racing space.

So it makes me wonder, if Formula 1 has one of the largest audiences in the world (i've heard figures as much as 500,000,000 viewers) how come it hasn't caught on?

My passion got the best of me and recently launched GridRival.com. It is BY FAR the only good option for Fantasy F1 as most of the sites I previously used were built 15 years ago, weren't even mobile responsive, and had terrible UI/UX. But I'm really curious as to what is needed in this sport for more people to be interested in Fantasy Leagues? It just hasn't caught on in the same way as Basketball, Baseball, Football etc. When people play Fantasy Sports, their engagement with the sport skyrockets which is why it would be great for it to catch on in F1 right now.

Curious if anyone has thoughts about this. What would make you excited to be in a Fantasy F1 league? Of if you're not, why?

Appreciate the feedback!

Schuttelberg

Re: What would make you interested in playing Fantasy F1?

I'm in.

I think F1 in general has been a bit too predictable in the past few years. All sport need rivalries and competition to attract viewerships and F1 is being ruled by 1 team at the moment, so it does not help.

Might I add, this is not in any way a dig at Mercedes-Benz, but more of a disappointment with other teams, if anything.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

orchman92
orchman92

I've just signed up to grid rival myself and will be playing along with that this year! The only thing that im not keen on is the pick 5 drivers but only for a maximum of 5 races etc... not sure how thats going to play out!

I did also see a post on this forum for one set up through F1 Technical i think? might be worth a crack.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26054

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Hey awesome.

I played last year and really liked the whole format. I actually set up a league for this site a few days ago if anyone wants to join. Just create a team and then click the link below to join.

https://www.gridrival.com/league/join/401

League Name: F1technical
Password: f1technical.net

See you guys there (hopefully below me in the table! [-o< ).

orchman92
orchman92

joined! Happy racing!

skoop
skoop

The thing that annoys me is that the drivers/teams aren't exclusive. After 8 races everyone will have the WCC leading team and the WDC leading driver.
Buuuuuut I'm gonna sign up the next days anyway. Somebody has to show you guys how it's done :D

Pierce89

In response to the title: Having more money or less kids.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

3dron
3dron

A fantasy team more like real F1. Check out F1Sport.net. You select 2 drivers and one constructor. Then you can spending an extra cash on weekly upgrades and/or mark one of your drivers with a franchise tag. Values change for swapping to other drivers and/or buying more swaps or more upgrades. Even add a pit crew for a small bonus. Lots of variables to run your team and thus lots of strategies. Very interactive and engaging all season long.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

I don't do fantasy sports or really understand how they work, but with regard to Fantasy F1: I don't get it!

Wouldn't everyone pick Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton? I'd pick them to win the constructor's championship, and with a few exceptions, I'd pick Hamilton to win pole and the race at every track they go to this year. Who wouldn't? (And I'm a Ferrari fan).

I don't know how you make a competitive game out of that.