McLaren looking to replace Honda with BMW?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GoranF1

McLaren looking to replace Honda with BMW?

Wazari wrote:
GoranF1 wrote: Why was Honda PU during 1st test whit less power than in AD 2016?

Why didnt Honda see oil tank problem in their state of art Dyno benches?

What is Honda's plan to find 80hp gap from 2016 to Mercedes and 70hp Mercedes find for 2017?

Is it normal that a team drives so litlle during tests due to engine problems, when there is only 4 days of tests per driver?

Is it true Honda 2017 ERS system is not efficient enough?

If Mclaren Honda does not make it out of Q1 in AUS, will it be more because of Honda or Mclaren(in your opinion)

Is Honda happy whit Mclaren chassis during Test1?

Why were Mclaren drivers last in speed traps during Test 1?

If engine was detuned in Test1, by how much was it?

;)
Seriously???
1. Was it? Maybe detuned? 2. Maybe because "dyno benches" don't brake from 260 to 50? 3. You better check your HP figures.. 4. What do you think? 5. Is it? 6. Neither, it would because the other cars are faster. 7. Not important if Honda is happy. McLaren and its drivers need to happy. 8. I don't know, I think you already know. 9. A lot.
You see! You just need to be aske same queation a few times to get an an answer....you answered my qustion 1 in answer 9.

Thank you.

BTW my power numbers are correct, Honda will be weakest engine in 2017 again.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

RS200E

Re: Honda Power Unit

GoranF1 wrote:
kasio wrote:
GoranF1 wrote: Why was Honda PU during 1st test whit less power than in AD 2016?

Why didnt Honda see oil tank problem in their state of art Dyno benches?

What is Honda's plan to find 80hp gap from 2016 to Mercedes and 70hp Mercedes find for 2017?

Is it normal that a team drives so litlle during tests due to engine problems, when there is only 4 days of tests per driver?

Is it true Honda 2017 ERS system is not efficient enough?

If Mclaren Honda does not make it out of Q1 in AUS, will it be more because of Honda or Mclaren(in your opinion)

Is Honda happy whit Mclaren chassis during Test1?

Why were Mclaren drivers last in speed traps during Test 1?

If engine was detuned in Test1, by how much was it?

;)
apparently it does not matter. if you read info provided before in this forum it was stated that they are wery short on time to finish it all till testing. for me it looks good enough answer to all those q.
Absolutly no excuse for Honda in 3rd year, they had time they had money, lets see what they did in AUS.

Mclaren has BMW in reserve waiting and interested.
Source please.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

gdogg371

RS200E wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
kasio wrote: apparently it does not matter. if you read info provided before in this forum it was stated that they are wery short on time to finish it all till testing. for me it looks good enough answer to all those q.
Absolutly no excuse for Honda in 3rd year, they had time they had money, lets see what they did in AUS.

Source please.
http://www.thisisf1.com/2017/02/03/mcla ... 1-rumours/

The last time they were building engines with BMW they had just signed a works F1 deal with Mercedes. Would imagine the rumour mill was going then too. Would be risky coming back in now for them with Mercedes so strong.

RS200E

gdogg371 wrote:
RS200E wrote:
GoranF1 wrote: Absolutly no excuse for Honda in 3rd year, they had time they had money, lets see what they did in AUS.

Source please.

The last time they were building engines with BMW they had just signed a works F1 deal with Mercedes. Would imagine the rumour mill was going then too. Would be risky coming back in now for them with Mercedes so strong.
Manuel Franco, the correspondent for the Spanish sports daily AS, said he has heard rumours that BMW is in fact working on a “V6 turbo”, which is the configuration of today’s F1 power units.
“It is also inevitable to recall that there was recently talk of BMW’s return to F1, and that there may be a secret hybrid V6 turbo project ready to launch,” Franco said.

I'm not convinced by that article or its source and I don't think any reasonable person would be.

GhostF1

RS200E wrote:
gdogg371 wrote:
RS200E wrote:
Source please.

Manuel Franco, the correspondent for the Spanish sports daily AS, said he has heard rumours that BMW is in fact working on a “V6 turbo”, which is the configuration of today’s F1 power units.
“It is also inevitable to recall that there was recently talk of BMW’s return to F1, and that there may be a secret hybrid V6 turbo project ready to launch,” Franco said.

I'm not convinced by that article or its source and I don't think any reasonable person would be.
It has no source. McLaren announced they are partnering with BMW to design a new performance engine for their road car division. This sparked rumours of an F1 collaboration. But McLaren have since shot down those rumours as being completely untrue and that BMW has no desire to reenter this late into a layout and a divorce from Honda will just not happen.
And just being smart... Why would they risk teaming up with another new ougside manufacturer lol

GoranF1

BMW is just an rezerve option for Mclaren if Honda continue to underperform.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GhostF1

GoranF1 wrote:BMW is just an rezerve option for Mclaren if Honda continue to underperform.
Even if that were true... Why would they risk teaming with a manufacturer that isn't even established in this period.... Potential for another few years of "catching up". It just seems so unbelievable.
One would think if any conversations were had at all it'd be with Merc or Renault...

BrunoH

they will only switch engines in 2020 for sure... when the new engines will come by.. im sure it will not be turbo engines... everyone wants noise, it will be like the V8 hybrid era... or something along those lines.. but with the same level of electric energy of today cars..so.. i think then its a very feasible option for Mclaren to go to bmw..

RS200E

GhostF1 wrote:
RS200E wrote:
gdogg371 wrote:

It has no source. McLaren announced they are partnering with BMW to design a new performance engine for their road car division. This sparked rumours of an F1 collaboration. But McLaren have since shot down those rumours as being completely untrue and that BMW has no desire to reenter this late into a layout and a divorce from Honda will just not happen.
And just being smart... Why would they risk teaming up with another new ougside manufacturer lol

Exactly. I think certain people are trying to look into a crystal ball coated in crap.

RS200E

BrunoH wrote:they will only switch engines in 2020 for sure... when the new engines will come by.. im sure it will not be turbo engines... everyone wants noise, it will be like the V8 hybrid era... or something along those lines.. but with the same level of electric energy of today cars..so.. i think then its a very feasible option for Mclaren to go to bmw..
Why for sure? Honda will most likely improve significantly this year and in 3 years time be a very good engine.

gdogg371

Re: McLaren looking to replace Honda with BMW?

V10 hybrids please!

Peter1919

BrunoH wrote:they will only switch engines in 2020 for sure... when the new engines will come by.. im sure it will not be turbo engines... everyone wants noise, it will be like the V8 hybrid era... or something along those lines.. but with the same level of electric energy of today cars..so.. i think then its a very feasible option for Mclaren to go to bmw..
As far as I am aware the way the current cars gain their electrical energy is largely reliant on the turbo so a none turbo hybrid era with the same electrical energy would be almost impossible.

BrunoH

well 3 years in F1 is a lot.....

BrunoH

RS200E wrote:
Why for sure? Honda will most likely improve significantly this year and in 3 years time be a very good engine.

because before then they cant.. they are stuck... if they will ever change engines will be in the 2020 new engine regs...

Vasconia

gdogg371 wrote:V10 hybrids please!
plus 1000000000000 to this. V10 were the best engines, what a sound!! =P~