Should McLaren return to Mercedes?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Reckoner

Should McLaren return to Mercedes?

With Manor gone Mercedes would welcome supplying another team.

Surely McLaren would Achieve more with Mercedes HPP?

I understand they wanted to be a works team but Honda can't supply a race winning engine.

Seems like a good option for them.

Discuss?

Reckoner

Steven
Owner

Re: Should McLaren return to Mercedes?

Should? No. Better stick with Honda and make the cooperation work.

I've approved this topic to keep this speculation out of the McLaren Honda thread, but please keep it decent...

jonas_linder

No!!

Anthropolyte

Not a chance. They've invested millions (both in terms of actual money and man hours) in Honda and their expertise. Honda have the chops, they just need to deliver.

Hail22

Not happening, Mclaren's moves and collaboration with Honda is a lot more deeper than Formula 1. Especially seeing as Mclaren wishes to diversify into other industries.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

WaikeCU

Do they have resources to produce a PU themselves? Their roadcars all have Mclaren build PU's. So can't they make it themselves?

Reckoner

I honestly can't see that the above reasons would trump the desire to be further up the field.

If they stick with Honda because of man hours and money already invested they are already deep in danger of becoming a lower midfield team for the next decade.

This is a pure results driven business, if they do not resolve on track performance nothing else will plug that hole.

Going back to Mercedes will give them back the competitive angle they need as a team to survive........ and sell more road cars.

Reckoner

Sevach

WaikeCU wrote:Do they have resources to produce a PU themselves? Their roadcars all have Mclaren build PU's. So can't they make it themselves?
Mclaren doesn't build engines in Woking, they order it from Ricardo(think Cosworth).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_M838T_engine

Anyways, if Mclaren splits from Honda they become a "poor" team, no big sponsors, paying for engines, no huge prize money due to recent performance, they oughta think this decision very well.

mclaren111

Sevach wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:Do they have resources to produce a PU themselves? Their roadcars all have Mclaren build PU's. So can't they make it themselves?
Mclaren doesn't build engines in Woking, they order it from Ricardo(think Cosworth).

McLaren bought Ricardo some time ago.

taperoo2k

They could but it would require a lot of investment and Eric said yesterday that it does not align with McLaren's plans for it's road cars in the short term (not his exact words, he looked annoyed at the question). As for going back to Mercedes ? I think that relationship has been soured for the time being. Of course the risk for McLaren is they ditch Honda, another team strikes a deal with Honda and Honda finally delivers. Leaving McLaren with egg on it's face and no closer to the sharp end of the grid when they started with Honda in 2014.

Scuderia1967

mclaren111 wrote:
Sevach wrote:

True, but that doesn't mean Ricardo's technology and expertise became automatically McLaren's technology and expertise.
As for the topic, I think McLaren cornered themselves here: the partnership with Honda isn't working, and they know a custom deal with another manufacturer won't serve their ambitions of WC wins.
Seeing no other engine supplier will appear in F1, at least in the foreseeable future, I don't know how is McLaren going to sort themselves out of this

mclaren111

Scuderia1967 wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
Sevach wrote:

True, but that doesn't mean Ricardo's technology and expertise became automatically McLaren's technology and expertise.
As for the topic, I think McLaren cornered themselves here: the partnership with Honda isn't working, and they know a custom deal with another manufacturer won't serve their ambitions of WC wins.

Seeing no other engine supplier will appear in F1, at least in the foreseeable future, I don't know how is McLaren going to sort themselves out of this
Like any partnership, you go through thick and thin, good and bad together. Both have done it before and will do it again !!

Time is our enemy at the moment :( :(

The Aero on the MCL32 looks good to me personally - not an aero expert in any way, shape or form !!

Not sure about suspension yet since we are not doing laps to confirm one way or the other, so the jury is still out on that.

Let's hope Honda gets to a reasonable position soon [-o< [-o<

etusch

Can mclaren use merc engine at Melbourne. İf you can say yes then thinking about engine supplier change, and talking about it make sense. Otherwise nonesense
Last edited by etusch on 09 Mar 2017, 23:23, edited 2 times in total.

Wass85

Not at all, I don't want them dragging Mercedes down to their level..... :lol:

nanocustic

Is this case like the MP4/9?
Meliora