Should McLaren return to Mercedes?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Stormy

Re: Should McLaren return to Mercedes?

erikejw wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 01:57
Stormy wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 22:37
McLaren is a very successful business outside of F1. So, when it comes to chassis, i think they are on par with Red Bull. However, they do need a premium engine partner. Returning to Mercedes means that they will depend on Mercedes as well because they can't be partners like they were. So, either way, McLaren has bad times ahead.
If they were on par with the RB chassis they would not be 1.7 seconds off the qualy pace in Monaco last year. That is maximum a few tenths engine performance and the rest chassis.
Sorry, i meant they are on par when it comes to budget.

toraabe

DarkSurferZA wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 17:30
McLaren do not have bottomless pocket backing. Even if they are on par with RBR, RBR has sponsors, McLaren do not have that same level. Even if they did, Horner still asks his technical team how much a development path costs before they venture down that route.
McLaren have a car that could use some money actually. Even if we take away 2 second of lap time from the Honda PU, the McLaren is still 1.5 second off the Merc.
McLaren have also said that they couldn't win a WCC without works backing, so would you bankroll a car with top dollar only to see them move up from tenth to fourth?

McLaren desperately need to support Honda if they want to be successful. This position they are in may be Honda's fault, but a winning team, like a winning marriage only fights behind closed doors, and are super protective of each other in the public eye. Honda actually has good potential if they can iron out their technical issues. Fourth place seems really attainable this year.

Lastly, if McLaren allowed Honda to bring in RBR as a customer, they may have had more data, more skills, better PUs.

They are in this together, or they will lose out. Both of them. There is no quick fix.

Edit:one thing you can't take away from Honda, is that they picked up the F1 challenge when the other manufacturers said no, and they didn't just pitch up to put on a respectable performance, they went all in to put in a winning performance.

A few details different in the decision tree of the Honda history book and who knows, what if Honda nailed it?

I am not a Honda fan, but this Honda bashing is rediculous. McLaren weren't exactly the fastest car with Merc power back then either

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk
Remember in 2014 Mc Laren used Mobil fuel instead of Pretronas.
They were 50 hp down on the others Merc customers

DarkSurferZA

50 seems a bit much in terms of up loss. But I agree that if you are not a works team, you don't get all the winning bells and whistles

Thunder

Seems like McLaren is still committed. If that stands in the case of lacking progress over the Season is the question. I just hope they can make it work. Not sure how much i believe in it though.
http://en.f1i.com/news/263665-mclaren-h ... brown.html
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

toraabe

DarkSurferZA wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 20:53
50 seems a bit much in terms of up loss. But I agree that if you are not a works team, you don't get all the winning bells and whistles

The current mercedes customer are forced to use Petronas Primax fuel, and I am sure if Mc laren goes back to Mercedes they also have to :)

Stormy

The question is, does McLaren have any choice? What if Merc actually doesn't want to give McLaren an engine? What if they see them as a threat as they saw RB?

Manoah2u

lol how many threads of this must there exist and be commented in
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"