Banning the T-wing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zac510

Banning the T-wing

It seems unlikely (based on previous lack of co-operation) that there will be agreement amongst the teams to ban the T-wings.

Prompted by some discussion about flex in the Mercedes W08 car thread, I thought that if the FIA were to apply a flex test to these wings then they might need to be made so heavy as to be impractical.

FIA have been able to adjust the flexibility test parameters without approval from teams, but I'm not sure if they can add a whole new test.

Quite a devious way to ban it, I know.

mclaren111

Re: Banning the T-wing

Totally agree. Shark Fin as well [-o< [-o< [-o<

Ross Brawn said he wants to get rid of the Shark Fin asap

roon

The T-wings are actually quite conveniently shaped for a load test. Just hang a weight from them.

FW17

I don't like the shark fin

but don't mind the T wing, just wish it was mounted off the rear wing rather than how it is now. Williams tested something alike last year, looked okay.

santos

I read it many times here and in many commentary boxes: "FIA should open up the rules and let engineers do their job." Well how do we stand? It's because you don't like the way it looks? If it is a question of aesthetics... i think this is the wrong forum to debate that. I belive that every aero guy in here doesn't have any problem with the way these wings look.

Manoah2u

FW17 wrote:I don't like the shark fin

but don't mind the T wing, just wish it was mounted off the rear wing rather than how it is now. Williams tested something alike last year, looked okay.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... _HiRes.jpg
that actually might have been a way to test the t-wing back then........
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FW17

Manoah2u wrote:
FW17 wrote:I don't like the shark fin

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... _HiRes.jpg
that actually might have been a way to test the t-wing back then........
Not really the T wing dimensions

The T can be only 50 mm wide and as long as last years wing

Manoah2u

santos wrote:I read it many times here and in many commentary boxes: "FIA should open up the rules and let engineers do their job." Well how do we stand? It's because you don't like the way it looks? If it is a question of aesthetics... i think this is the wrong forum to debate that. I belive that every aero guy in here doesn't have any problem with the way these wings look.
agree,
its a bit hypocritical to say "we need less regulations as it's killing the sport"
and then say "FIA should ban this and the sharkfin"

we have something fitting with freedom and then it needs bannned?!!!

we want to get rid of Charlie Whiting, and party (me included) when he's off,
as 'we' criticise his 'banning' of stuff and not being 'consistant'.
and now we scream ourselves to get done exactly what we criticise charlie for?

somethings not right there.

personally, i dont think the fin and t-wing are overly pretty, but i dont see that as a problem though.
i don't understand either why people are so adamant to call the 1995 Mclaren ugly, aswell as the 1996 Ferrari.
aswell as the 1997 Tyrrell. To me , these were exactly the kind of things that were grand about F1.
trying stuff. they weren ugly, they looked different.

i loved that high nose on the 1995 Mclaren AND i loved that engine cover wing.
i also loved both the low nose on the 1996 Ferrari and the high nose on the 1996 Ferrari, aswell as it's sidepods.
i also loved the 1997 tyrrell with its single-pillar front wing attachment. Looked fantastic. The high wings on the sidepods
looked less fun, but still, its F1 to it's core, just like the wings on the 2008 F1 cars.
Also absolutely loved the U-pod Mclaren, the F-duct, the double diffuser, blown diffusers, S-ducts, flexi-wings, etc etc.
it's innovation, don't hold that down.

2017 F1 cars look amazing, i can't believe how much better they look than the 2016 cars.

and i really dont think anybody really bothers the sharkfins when they are racing on sunday for position.
they only 'bother' because we see reveal pics. that's really all that there's to it.
The male genitalea formed nosecones we saw a couple years ago, those were hideous.

i for one am really hoping there won't be a ban on the sharkfin and the t-wing.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

CBeck113

Amen! These are engineers and not designers - they do everything they can with the budget they have to make their car as fast as possible while staying within the regulations. Where is there a demand for "pretty" in that task? I would rather have extremely fast cars which demand 100% of their drivers to be successful than pretty ones.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

zac510

I definitely would like to open up regulations, but we need to strike a balance between aesthetics (which is the commercial aspect and allows F1 to become popular) and engineering (which is the bit you all want). I think it is definitely possible to do that. I'd rather have more freedom inside the rear wing regulatory box than the T-wing. That's the trade off I'd make.

And further by several teams' own confessions, this regulatory space is a mistake, so we shouldn't feel bad about fixing the mistake.

cliffgamerz

My only worry of T-Wings are on safety grounds, that it could break at high speed and cause the driver behind an serious injury or even death without cockpit protection. Aesthetic wise i have no problems with T-Wings or Shark-fins.

Scuderia1967

At first I wasn't a big fan of sharkfins, but now I don't mind them. Its all a matter of liveries (I still find the Force India one horrible, for instance...)
But the VHF antenna from Merc, that's a big no no.
Anyway, I agree that at the end of the day we should just let engineers do their work