John Surtees

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

John Surtees

John Surtees, the only person to win both motorcycle and car world championships, died today from respiratory problems

350cc champion 1958, 59, and 60
500cc champion 1956, 58, 59, and 60
MV Agusta

F1 champion 1964
Ferrari

R.I.P.

dobbster71

Re: John Surtees

John Surtees: A true great of motorsports. His achievements will, probably, never be repeated.

R.I.P
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

bdr529

Very sad to hear of his passing
having the unique distinction of being a champion on both 2 and 4 wheels, certainty is an incredible achievement
but accomplishing some thing like that , or should I say "surviving some thing like that" during the 50's and early 60's
that's the stuff of legends

Wonderful film about John Sertees

Pierce89

Goes without saying that he was the best all around racer ever. RIP
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

g70
g70

I saw him in Syracuse (1964? 1965?) on the Ferrari F1.
I remember very well the way he led made by very small steering corrections and motor at a constant speed. Other than that Jim Clarck who corrected with the engine.
Enzo Ferrari in his book quoted him as a great champion! I share

stefan_
stefan_

Very, very sad news yesterday.

Along with a great sportsperson, having a performance that I think will never be equaled, we lost a very kind person, jolly, always up for a chat and for making a joke and laugh.

Farewell, John.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

The epitome of the real Englander as a no-bullshit, tell-it-as-it is, but well mannered splendid bloke,
& his achievements against such large odds, speak volumes about his capabilities, even doing it 'his way.'..

To win the top awards in G.P. racing on 2, & 4 wheels, in pre-slick/pre-downforce days clearly demonstrates his
most excellent feel for maximising chassis/tyre grip, along with determined will-to-win...

To a high rank in motorsport Vahalla you go, with full honours, John Surtees..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

OneAlex

Lots of great stories coming out from people who had the chance to meet him; he seemed a really down-to-Earth and approachable chap. The fact he was seemingly such a gentleman makes it an even bigger crime he was never knighted.

RIP

stefan_
stefan_

Just re-watched this. What a gentleman John was.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985