Politics in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: 2017 Formula 1 suspension designs

FrukostScones wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:54
So you think there is no case? FIA is acting as Ferrari International Assistance? Oh man.
huh?
197 104 103 7

FrukostScones

dans79 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
So you think there is no case? FIA is acting as Ferrari International Assistance? Oh man.
huh?
then tell me what Ferrari was doing aside from being incompetent?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Big Mangalhit

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:43
Big Mangalhit wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:33
Actually Ferrari sent a letter asking clarification because they wanted to pursue the same suspension. Then the FIA said it was illegal. The rest is just press and people's interpretation (that ferrari did that to make the others' suspension illegal).

It would be way worse if the FIA had told Ferrari they couldn't develop that kind of suspension and then let other teams compete with that concept
Something is still very shady.

If I asked you is this concept of mine legal, what would prompt you to decide that you should inspect every other competitors car?

In general I hate all the F1 politics, as it's always slimy and self serving.
If you ask fia to do X and they say no and then you think that other teams are doing X, it is only normal you complain about it, no?

dans79

The "huh?" means I don't understand what you are trying to ask.
197 104 103 7

dans79

Big Mangalhit wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 18:06
If you ask fia to do X and they say no and then you think that other teams are doing X, it is only normal you complain about it, no?
Have you seen news about them complaining to the FIA? All I've seen is the initial inquiry letter, and then Charlie deciding he needs to look at everyone's systems.
197 104 103 7

Mr.G

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:46
AnotherAlex wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:34
Ferrari seeking clarification on the suspension design well before the pre-season test, giving themselves and others time to react to the FIA's pronouncements, was positively gentlemanly by comparison.
That makes no sense to me personally. If I think you (generalized you) are cheating, I'm not going to give you a way to weasel out of it. I'd be doing everything in my power to ensure you receive the maximum amount of punishment possible.
Well it depends how much integrity is in the generalized you...

Conspiracy alert - Ross Brown mentioned they want to change some technical rules and he describe especially the suspension. He mentioned that teams invested hundreds millions of dollars into this segment and it's not visible for fans... He generally don't like this path... He can play some game, ask Ferrari to seek for clarification and open the doors for the technical comity to ban the suspension...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

giantfan10

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 18:07
The "huh?" means I don't understand what you are trying to ask.
Youre coming off as a disgruntled fanboy....
No clue if thats your position but thats the way it came across.
8 teams opted not to go the "active suspension " route and the 2 that did were pulled back in line .
Biggest loser if you ask me is Red Bull who magically jumped Ferrari last year with no apparent updates to their cars aero. Rumors were that it was their trick suspension ....how does that affect them now?
How much was mercedes trick suspension responsible for their dominance?
Mercedes and red bull use the exact same tactics so no clue why you try to make ferrari into the bad guy just because it affects your team.

Mercedes seeks rule clarifications on F1 listed parts/aero testing
"The reasoning behind Mercedes' approach to Whiting, and now the stewards, is it is seeking clarification with regard to opportunities in the regulations it is considering."
this was in response to the ferrari/Haas partnership.

Red Bull Racing says it is ready to question the implementation of the forthcoming change to the blown diffuser regulations when Formula 1 teams get together this week to discuss it.
With the FIA having made it clear in Montreal last weekend that it is pushing ahead with plans to ban teams from off-throttle use of blown diffusers from the British Grand Prix, many outfits are currently working on necessary changes to their car designs and engine mapping.

However, with Red Bull Racing being singled out as the team that stands the most to lose - because it is believed to have perfected the implementation of the concept the best - the outfit is obviously eager to ensure it does not lose any competitive advantage it has.
Its all par for the course and ALL the top teams do it

dans79

giantfan10 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 21:55
8 teams opted not to go the "active suspension " route and the 2 that did were pulled back in line .
This is the part that seems very shady to me. If the governing body knows you used this suspension last year, and are now telling you can't do that, it's illegal, why are Merc & RBR not being penalized? If you brake a law, and the cops don't find out until 6 months or a year later, you still have to face charges, and deal with the consequences of your actions.
giantfan10 wrote:
How much was Mercedes trick suspension responsible for their dominance?
No one outside of Mercedes would know that. However it has been mentioned here and in a few news outlets, that they didn't run the suspension at some number of races last year. Thus, I think its safe to assume any advantage it gives, is either negligible, or very track specific.
giantfan10 wrote:
Its all par for the course and ALL the top teams do it
It's still super childish, no matter who does it.

It reads like "I want to get you in trouble if your are breaking the rules, but I don't want to make to much noise in case it's OK, because if it is I'm going to do it."
197 104 103 7

Phil

I think the problem can be narrowed down to the complexity of both the rules, their intepretation and the scope of sheer creativity and abilty of engineers to push limits the rule makers didnt/couldnt predict.

This creates the consequence that sometimes, innovation takes place in areas that arent intended. Either it creates dangerous features (the user controlled F duct) or perhaps in this case too complex suspension systems that may be legal within the technical rules, but not intended to be.

I have no opinion if this should be right or wrong, but the sport obviously allows the process in which a team can seek clarification, so who are we to judge them if they do?

Instead of discussing the (quite obvious) motivation of a team to go this route, i'm far more curious how much it will set both Mercedes and RedBul back...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

BanMeToo

I enjoy the Machiavellian tactics, development battles, rulebook spats, and of course it all boils down to how many points your team and drivers can score on race day. I love all of it (though quali and race day are the main draw, of course.) The goal is to win. The teams are filthy rich, hard working, and self-serving. Accept it and enjoy the show 8)