Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

ME4ME wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 22:06
Jolle wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 17:32
With Sainz, although he's an excellent racer, I got a bit of a Vergne/Buemi dejavu. Might wel that he becomes victim of the RedBull strategy again. I hope he is able to release himself from RedBull and gets picked up by Renault for instance.
Some perspective on Sainz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DynhXzBO7f0
I think I said it on this forum before. I think he is fast, but sloppy by times.

Vasconia

Jolle wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 17:32
With Sainz, although he's an excellent racer, I got a bit of a Vergne/Buemi dejavu. Might wel that he becomes victim of the RedBull strategy again. I hope he is able to release himself from RedBull and gets picked up by Renault for instance.
RB seems to be permanently blocking any attempt of Sainz to leave TR. If Verstappen stays at RB he won´t driver for them. He needs to find another team and Renault has been the best option IMO.

Phil

I personally think Alonso may end up at Renault. Either that, or he'll leave F1. And Renault will go maybe with Kubica if he proves to be able to drive a F1 car and is competitive (vs. Hulk).

Can't really see McLaren switching to Mercedes somehow. Too big is the complexity of sponsorship money with McLaren and Honda.

I also think Ferrari will retain Vettel. They may keep Kimi. The other part of the equation may be Bottas. If Kimi leaves, Ferrari may be interested to sign Bottas if Mercedes doesn't.

Which brings me back to Alonso: I seriously doubt he is on Mercedes radar, but who knows? If they [Mercedes] lose the championship to Ferrari this year, they may feel the need to do something extraordinary...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 17:19
Does Wehrlein stay in Sauber? Does he end up in Force India after Ocon goes to the mothership? Bottas back to Williams with Stroll? What about Mystery Chinese team? Would they use Honda engines? Mercedes or Renault? Ferrari?
Wherlein To williams. Massa out.
Bottas stays with merc if he can keep within75% points of Lewis.
Palmer out for 2018. His contract is water tight. Daddy Palmer is no fool.
His replacement is obviously kubica.

McLaren will have Mercedes
Mystery chinese team will have Ferrari with a joint sponsorship fo weichai power.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Phil

Pascal Wehrlein might just be too young for the likes of major sponsor Martini at Williams (the reason Massa is in that car)...

(yes, Pascal is 22, but still... IMO)
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Cold Fussion

Phil wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 13:22
Pascal Wehrlein might just be too young for the likes of major sponsor Martini at Williams (the reason Massa is in that car)...

How does this logic work when there is currently an 18 year old in the car?

i70q7m7ghw

Alonso is almost certainly leaving McLaren at the end of this year, so in my opinion this leaves two possibilities.

2018 - Renault: Alonso/Hulkenberg - replacing the struggling Palmer
2018 - Williams: Alonso/Stroll - replacing Massa, allowing the old champ to retire ;)

Phil

Cold Fussion wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 17:59
Phil wrote:

...because then you'd have two young drivers? Just doesnt look good to promote alcohol by two under 25 year olds?
#Team44 supporter

Cold Fussion

Phil wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 18:05
Cold Fussion wrote:
Phil wrote:

...because then you'd have two young drivers? Just doesnt look good to promote alcohol by two under 25 year olds?
This is an impressive level of mental gymnastics you have going on. Heavens forbid a product be advertised by someone legally allowed to use it.

Phil

Cold Fussion wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 19:02
This is an impressive level of mental gymnastics you have going on. Heavens forbid a product be advertised by someone legally allowed to use it.
https://realsport101.com/news/sports/ra ... this-time/

This has risen a question as Mercedes was rumored to have offered their youth driver Pascal Wehrlein to Williams so why they opted to take Massa?

Old enough to market alcohol

A big reason that can’t be overlooked is the fact that Williams’ main sponsor is the alcohol brand Martini. They have made clear that Williams must have an over-25 driver, as the legal drinking age varies from country to country. As Wehrlein is only 22 and the 18-year-old Lance Stroll being Williams’ other driver this pairing could lead to Williams losing its main sponsor, or at least talks between the two should be held. Signing Felipe then instead of Pascal is an easy choice for Williams to avoid complex talks with a major cash flow.
Welcome to last years news.

You may also want to look into this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age
#Team44 supporter

godlameroso

Should F1 adopt the WTCC and Rally X concept of the "joker lap"? Old Bernie had suggested this while still running the circus, given it's acceptance in those other formulas would this work in F1, be too gimmicky?
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Phil wrote:

Certainly didn't stop stroll from having a swig of that podium champagne!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Phil wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 18:05
Cold Fussion wrote:
Phil wrote:

Bwoah...

It is not a big deal with a 23 year old wehrlein because I think a retired "helper driver" may be hired to do alcohol promotion just as Mika was there to help Lewis at McLaren in 2008 when Jonni walker signed him.

Massa himself or Damon Hill can be the helper driver. Not sure if either is cool enough for the job... But it can work..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmiX_64ZXxc
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Redragon

Diesel wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 18:01
Alonso is almost certainly leaving McLaren at the end of this year, so in my opinion this leaves two possibilities.

2018 - Renault: Alonso/Hulkenberg - replacing the struggling Palmer
2018 - Williams: Alonso/Stroll - replacing Massa, allowing the old champ to retire ;)
After what Vettel did today, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari is on that list too.

Cold Fussion

Phil wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 19:18
Cold Fussion wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 19:02
https://realsport101.com/news/sports/ra ... this-time/

This has risen a question as Mercedes was rumored to have offered their youth driver Pascal Wehrlein to Williams so why they opted to take Massa?

Old enough to market alcohol

A big reason that can’t be overlooked is the fact that Williams’ main sponsor is the alcohol brand Martini. They have made clear that Williams must have an over-25 driver, as the legal drinking age varies from country to country. As Wehrlein is only 22 and the 18-year-old Lance Stroll being Williams’ other driver this pairing could lead to Williams losing its main sponsor, or at least talks between the two should be held. Signing Felipe then instead of Pascal is an easy choice for Williams to avoid complex talks with a major cash flow.
Welcome to last years news.

You may also want to look into this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age
Thank you for linking to me to an article without any quotes or sources listed, as well as a wikipedia page showing the vast majority of the planet has a legal drinking age of 18.