Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hemichromis

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Just a thought about Verstappens choice.

Vettel's contract ends at the end of 2020, Hamilton will probably sign a contract of equal duration.
Verstappen has placed himself as a free agent when not just A seat but the No 1 seat is available in both teams at a time when both may be considering retirement.

This may be a happy accident but i do find it interesting that He renewed now instead of next year. I expect Red bull would want a 3 year contract ending after 2021. Verstappen may have hada hard time explaining why he would only want a 1 year contract!

I also expect he now has performance clauses he didn't before.

Jolle

hemichromis wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 14:36
Just a thought about Verstappens choice.

Vettel's contract ends at the end of 2020, Hamilton will probably sign a contract of equal duration.
Verstappen has placed himself as a free agent when not just A seat but the No 1 seat is available in both teams at a time when both may be considering retirement.

This may be a happy accident but i do find it interesting that He renewed now instead of next year. I expect Red bull would want a 3 year contract ending after 2021. Verstappen may have hada hard time explaining why he would only want a 1 year contract!

I also expect he now has performance clauses he didn't before.
There is quite a chance that this contract made him the best earning dutch sports star ever...

He is quite sharp in what he wants, so good chance there are a lot of clauses in there.

hemichromis

True, He had no clauses at all in his contract that ran until the end of 2019. Now he has more money (probably), performance clauses(probably) and only has 1 extra year on his contract taking him to the grand old age of 23!

Manoah2u

I'm sure it's full of worthwile clauses, and i'm sure there will be a lucrative financial outcome out of it all too, BUT both Jos and Max have stated they are not going to make the same mistakes Jos took and one of those was Huub Rottenganger (Jos' Manager) going for the money instead of the cars. That could mean that Max' renewed contract might see him aiming less for a paycheck and much more for - as mentioned - clauses that make him able to go to the fast cars OR well, if the rumours are true - which i doubt though - that he gets 'Nr1' status in the team.

Personally i think the contract will be much more about having more input and pressure and getting a car more to his preferance. I wouldn't be surprised too if he wants to do less PR stuff and focus more on racing.

As for those clauses, i think they would be more in the atmosphere of if RB ends up giving Max another season like this with a bunch of cars breaking down on him (whilst Danny keeps scot free somehow) then he has a release clause that would grant him other opportunities or benefits. I don't know which specifically, but, well, that'll be the case.

I think Max had a good position to demand and pressurise RB in getting him a better car OR they'll see him go somewhere else.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Horner said on SkyF1 that Max wont be the highest earner they have had.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 17:09
Horner said on SkyF1 that Max wont be the highest earner they have had.
easy quote with Newey in your team ;-)

NathanOlder

Lol true. I'd imagie he was referring to Vettel in his title days
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

ChrisDanger

For Toro Rosso, Marko has been quoted as saying "We will look at the performance of Kvyat, Hartley and Gasly and then decide about next year."

And according to the Google Translate of this totally unbiased Polish article "Veteran F1 Journalist: Kubica in Williams, missing only confirmation".

godlameroso

Bummer for Gasley, compelled to do Super Formula only to have it all be for naught.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

What if Wehrlein in over at Haas replacing Magnussen?
Saishū kōnā

kptaylor

Wehrlein needs to show promise or he'll be out. The lure of cheaper Mercedes engines can only take you so far. He's already a Merc driver in a non-Merc car. What does that say for his future with the mother team?

Gerhardsa

I am very happy about this Verstappen in RBR till 2020.
I also think Dan Ric is smiling about this. It just about seals it that the will be either at Merc or Ferrari 2019.
If he manages to beat either Ham or Vet, that would make things interesting for the 2020 market. Daniel also said he would love to be Hamilton's team mate. Should be interesting.

NathanOlder

2 problem there for Daniel could be,

Charles Leclerc and Esteban Ocon. If they deliver again next season, i could see both in the top 2 teams. Leaving Daniel 2 options, Stay at Max's team or jump to maybe Renault and replace Sainz who will be going to Red Bull.
Mclaren will keep Alonso with Vandoorne if they are quick, if Fernando leaves then Mclaren will still be poor and Daniel wont want to go there.

Daniel has to be careful and needs to get talking to Ferrari and Merc asap.

Its not beyond belief that Mercedes and Ferrari could soon be like red bull and only promoting from within their own academy, Ocon Leclerc Giovanazzi, Wehrlein ect ect
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

hemichromis

I must admit I had the same thought. I really want Ricciardo to head to Mercedes (I don't like the Ferrari attitude) but Ocon is fantastic and in 2019, he will be a near finished product.

Why go outside to get a driver who has a good attitude but will be nearing thirty and getting increasingly desperate to get his first title.

Now if Mercedes are expecting Lewis to leave in the next few years they would need a new number 1, Ricciardo would fit that role and the team perfectly.

ringo

kyvat is the best candidate for the Williams seat.
He has been seen talking to Paddy Lowe at the US GP weekend.
He is more talented than the available options. i feel once he is managed correctly he can be much improved as a driver. Similar to Grosjean who had issues and got himself sorted out.
The good thing is that he isn't taken seriously, unfortunately, to be a long term driver so would not be a threat to Stroll career.
But he is fast for sure and cheap, and available. Williams stand to gain by hiring him. Massa is more expensive and basically washed up.
For Sure!!