Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

GPR-A wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 15:16
marmer wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:59
PlatinumZealot wrote:It is mind games. It is a sport. Perez is getting into Ocons head and smartly so. Crowd his gearbox and show him he's nothing! I call that tactics.
Should Out qualify him to show him up sitting behind doesn't show a great deal of anything. Just talking on the radio saying your faster just makes you look childish. And if he is such a big dog at force India he should just overtake him like any other driver
The year started with Checo beating Ocon with decent margin in qualifying. But Canada seems to have to instilled fire in Ocon. After Canada, for a number of races, the difference in qualifying was just a tenth between the two, where Perez was ahead. But in the last 4-5 races, Ocon has been outqualifying Checo by quite a big margin. The margin is increasing, which shows that Ocon is really finding his feat in F1.
To be fair there were good reasons why Ocon out-qualified Perez in the last two races and it wasn't Checo's fault.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

adrianjordan

djos wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 06:47
PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 06:39
I really want to see Perez in a Ferrari even if it means being Vettel's lap dog.
Lol, he had his chance at McLaren and blew it, no top team will ever hire him now.
I thought the only reason he left Mclaren was because of a contractual cock up on Martin Whitmarsh's part which meant they had to give Magnussen the seat??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

djos

adrianjordan wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 19:05
djos wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 06:47
PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 06:39
I really want to see Perez in a Ferrari even if it means being Vettel's lap dog.
Lol, he had his chance at McLaren and blew it, no top team will ever hire him now.
I thought the only reason he left Mclaren was because of a contractual cock up on Martin Whitmarsh's part which meant they had to give Magnussen the seat??
That might also be true but he also underperformed badly against Jensen and made lots of stupid unforced errors.
"In downforce we trust"

ringo

It wasnt that bad. The car was undrivable half the time. We coudldnt expect him to do what a well seasoned jenson was doing.
He did ok in my books that year.
In the same way we have to write off the years alonso drove against jenson in a rubbish car that context has to be aplirf to checo's time at mclaren.

Anyhow massa is leaving williams.

Looks like the race for that williams seat just got more heated.
For Sure!!

Ennis
Ennis

ringo wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 18:01
It wasnt that bad. The car was undrivable half the time. We coudldnt expect him to do what a well seasoned jenson was doing.
In the same way we have to write off the years alonso drove against jenson in a rubbish car that context has to be aplirf to checo's time at mclaren.

To further add to Perez's defence..

Young guy. First big move. Up against a WDC who is fully embedded in the team. Replacing the team's prodigal son. Coincides with a massive dip in form & an internal power struggle. You now have complete disharmony in the team, fingers are pointing everywhere including you, you're being told to speed up and slow down, a team who aren't used to performing as badly as they are....

Drivers are human, and sometimes not being in the right place or there at the right time can mean you don't get to show your potential.

Jolle
Jolle

Ennis wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 15:41
ringo wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 18:01

To further add to Perez's defence..

Young guy. First big move. Up against a WDC who is fully embedded in the team. Replacing the team's prodigal son. Coincides with a massive dip in form & an internal power struggle. You now have complete disharmony in the team, fingers are pointing everywhere including you, you're being told to speed up and slow down, a team who aren't used to performing as badly as they are....

Drivers are human, and sometimes not being in the right place or there at the right time can mean you don't get to show your potential.
Indeed, 2013 was probably one of the worst times to step into McLaren. Don't forget they build a complete new car to try to do an "1988" and it was McLarens' first season all on their own for years (the Mercedes sell off of stock completed in the end of '12).

Perez is a good driver, but I think he is in the seat he deserves, top midfield (of course, not having acces to all data and briefings). He has good races, know's how to bring the car home, podium finishes.

ringo

I think Perez has some of the best results a midfield car can provide. He has also challenged for wins a few time. To me he is a top driver in the making who just needs a top car. He would likely do a much better job than Bottas and Raikonen in the Merc and Ferrari respectively. He is by no means slow or lacking in race craft. It's actually hard to say if he has any glaring weaknesses. He is a pretty good all rounder who knows how to challenge at the front.
He will give any top driver trouble if he was their teammate. I would love to see him in the other Ferrari car in 2019.
For Sure!!

NathanOlder

Its possible, but i feel if he had a year alongside Lewis, Seb or Max he would take a beating in Qualy over the year something like 15:5 and that kind of thing knocks drivers back.

Yes Perez is a great driver, but only 2nd tier in my opinion. He lacks the raw speed so he is a good team mate type. Like Kimi Bottas Massa ect.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

Perez is fast, faster than Magnussen, but not faster than Ocon has become.
Saishū kōnā

Schuttelberg

Red Bull get a lot of flak for mistreating drivers, but I don't think McLaren handled Perez and Magnussen well at all. I thought both did well in their first year. The signing of Perez was a sham in the first place in my opinion. I think Whitmarsh felt Mercedes got one over him by stealing McLaren's prodigal son so he decided to steal Ferrari's. I thought McLaren was one of the most prestigious seats at the time and he could have waited it out. But, his haste to announce and sign someone was a clear sign of desperation. He seemed to completely ignore the fact that literally every driver on the grid would have stalled all negotiations till they had a shot at the McLaren seat.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

Which teams have not yet confirmed their drivers for 2018? I haven't been keeping up to date with F1 recently.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

Jolle
Jolle

Nathanael F1 wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 01:07
Which teams have not yet confirmed their drivers for 2018? I haven't been keeping up to date with F1 recently.
Only Massa’s seat available.....

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

....which is 99% going to Kubica
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Just wish they'd get around to announcing it!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Webber2011
Webber2011

Ricciardo now saying he could wait until as late as mid 2018 to make a decision on his future.

I'd like to see him stay at Red Bull, a title battle with Max would be epic to watch.

I fear the Renault PU might let him down and force a move though.