FIA ruining F1 in the name of safety

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sniffit

FIA ruining F1 in the name of safety

The FIA also wants to see the traditional gravel traps be replaced by portions of asphalt like what's seen at other F1 tracks.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/key- ... 95791/?s=1

Another example how FIA is ruining the sport. The sport is dangerous, mistakes should have consequences, introducing asphalt run off areas mitigates this and deprives the public of crashes.
Imagine if FIA ran NASCAR or Indycar? The ovals would either be remade into straights, a speedlimit of 80km/h would be enforced or they would make the walls out of marshmallows.

When are they going to realize that things are and should be dangerous and that there should be consequences for mistakes (ie. end up in a gravel trap, smash the car to bits etc.).

FW17

Re: FIA ruining F1 in the name of safety

If you put walls where gravel traps are, we would have cautions like in indy, every few laps.

All teams and FOM prefer it with less interruptions and damage bills

The_table

I'd rather have drivers being able to continue a race after a cock up to be honest...
I do think they should add those tyre destroying strips like at paul ricard and abu dhabi.

Sniffit

FW17 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:32
If you put walls where gravel traps are, we would have cautions like in indy, every few laps.

Which hasn't been on the table, what they are doing now is removing gravel traps and replacing them with run off areas, if they keep this up every track will be like Sochi, a big parking lot, just asphalt and some painted lines.

Sniffit

The_table wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:35
I'd rather have drivers being able to continue a race after a cock up to be honest...
I do think they should add those tyre destroying strips like at paul ricard and abu dhabi.
I agree, to an extent and I would love to see marshals be able to help cars out of gravel traps.

Thing is, racing should be dangerous, you should need to be of a special breed to do it, daring to do it.

FW17

Sniffit wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:50
FW17 wrote:

Which hasn't been on the table, what they are doing now is removing gravel traps and replacing them with run off areas, if they keep this up every track will be like Sochi, a big parking lot, just asphalt and some painted lines.

When was the last time you say a driver retire after being stuck in a gravel trap? Where ever it is left, it has not provided the entertainment you are craving for. So what changes if it is asphalt?

The_table

It already takes an incredibly special person to strap himself in an F1 car as it is and people seem to forget that when comparing F1 drivers to each-other.
F1 is dangerous enough as it is, ask the families of Jules Bianchi and Maria de Villota (Both very special cases but still..) :(
Where exactly was the danger again in gravel traps? cars digging themselves in and flipping over... that's a stupid risk to take.

On another note, why don't they put those red paul ricard strips at the exits of corners riight outside the white lines? I think that should keep everyone neatly on track?

Tim.Wright

The_table wrote:
Again the myth of the tyre destroying strips at Paul Richard.

They are just high grip abrasive strips - if you drive over the top of them they don't do anything to the tyres as far as I have seen.

There are however dozens of sites around (non with reliable sources) that claim that these strips attack the tyres and therefore act as a deterrent to drivers leaving the track.
Not the engineer at Force India

kaepernickus

Sniffit wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:24
... and deprives the public of crashes.
I've never watched a race for crashes , so I'm probably not part of "the public" that gets "derived" of them...

That whole "racing should be dangerous" thing is a load of BS.
There will always be certain risks involved, as there's no 100% safety guarantee, but everything possible should be done to minimise those risks.

Crashes and injuries are the worst case.
Racing is and should be about car control, close fights for positions, ...but never about the worst case.
Last edited by kaepernickus on 19 Apr 2017, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Sniffit

FW17 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:59
Sniffit wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:50
FW17 wrote:

When was the last time you say a driver retire after being stuck in a gravel trap? Where ever it is left, it has not provided the entertainment you are craving for. So what changes if it is asphalt?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8NGkqCz4qg[/youtube]

Edit: I have no idea why the tag isn't working :/

The_table

Tim.Wright wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 21:06
The_table wrote:
Again the myth of the tyre destroying strips at Paul Richard.

They are just high grip abrasive strips - if you drive over the top of them they don't do anything to the tyres as far as I have seen.

There are however dozens of sites around (non with reliable sources) that claim that these strips attack the tyres and therefore act as a deterrent to drivers leaving the track.
Agreed, "destroying" was the wrong word but that effect you describe is exactly what i was hoping from those strips.
(Those red ones are more abrasive than the blue ones right?)

Manoah2u

Sniffit wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:24
The FIA also wants to see the traditional gravel traps be replaced by portions of asphalt like what's seen at other F1 tracks.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/key- ... 95791/?s=1

Another example how FIA is ruining the sport. The sport is dangerous, mistakes should have consequences, introducing asphalt run off areas mitigates this and deprives the public of crashes.
Imagine if FIA ran NASCAR or Indycar? The ovals would either be remade into straights, a speedlimit of 80km/h would be enforced or they would make the walls out of marshmallows.

When are they going to realize that things are and should be dangerous and that there should be consequences for mistakes (ie. end up in a gravel trap, smash the car to bits etc.).
in essense, you're saying, you are okay if the consequence is death or severe injury after a tiny mistake, or by somebody else's mistake, like Guiterrez and Alonso and Guiterrez flipping around.

Because your personal morale of F1 should be; balls to the wall, bloodsport, make a mistake you die?
Who then are you to decide that F1 is ruined because you prefer deaths?
How about Bianchi?

If a driver goes offtrack due to a mistake, he's scr*wed either way. He loses enough time, and at the very best, he is able to reconnect and go again, but his tires surely are flat so he needs to stop for tires anyway hurting him once again. punishment enough.

there doesnt need to be blood against a wall for f1 to be 'cool'
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan

Sniffit wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:52
deprives the public of crashes. [and]
Thing is, racing should be dangerous, you should need to be of a special breed to do it, daring to do it.
This young man, 17 years of age, lost both lower legs in this crash only a few days ago. Enjoy watching this crash. Wouldn't want you deprived of it. :roll:
https://youtu.be/n23XkCX5IJ8
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bhall II

I think Alex Wurz has the right idea...

Motorsport.com, Dec 29, 2016 wrote:"If I am a visionary for F1, I would make the cars ever safer, but I would than [sic] make them way faster," Wurz told Motorsport.com.

"But I talk of way faster, because we can make cars which go 450 [km/h] and have way more downforce. We can then, when the cars are safer, race on the most extreme race tracks, city tracks."

Wurz, who this year lobbied for the 2017 introduction of the Halo cockpit protection before it was ultimately delayed to 2018, believes that a further safety push could allow F1 to do away with a number of current rules and features that make the championship less exciting for its fans.

"We wouldn't need miles of run-off areas, so we wouldn't have the infringements which nobody understands anymore," he continued.

"The sole underlying aspect is that the fan at home needs to sit and think: 'I could never do that. Only the most courageous, talented drivers can do that.'

"Then I don't care about the rest. Because then my [inner] fan is excited. And we've moved so far from excitement.

"And if the cars are not safer, the race director will be forced to look after [the drivers], because he doesn't want to go to jail if something happens - and then we are backed into a dead-end road.

"My opinion is - make the cars safer and go very aggressive with the rest, because then we can, because a human life is less likely at stake. It will always be dangerous, if you drive at these speeds, as we have seen, but we are working against the probability factor."
For those scoring at home, Wurz is chairman of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association.

Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 22:45
Sniffit wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:52
deprives the public of crashes. [and]
This young man, 17 years of age, lost both lower legs in this crash only a few days ago. Enjoy watching this crash. Wouldn't want you deprived of it. :roll:
https://youtu.be/n23XkCX5IJ8
ouch my goodness. that's rough stuff right there. horrible.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"