2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marmer

Re: Design the Hyper-Soft tyre!

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 01:14
I want to see more sliding like what we had in 2008. Not sure how that can be engineered into the tyre though.
make it really hard and low grip. hard so drivers can push longer and low grip to make skidding easy

ojlopez

Keep the new ultra mega soft (or whatever it is going to be called), the Ultrasoft and the Soft plus Inters and Rain, and you have more than enough compounds.

PlatinumZealot

Pirelli confirmed that more compounds are coming . They do read F1 technical after all!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ChrisDanger

From the OP:

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 May 2017, 00:05
Visual and technical: colour, compound, construction, heat range, profile.. you name it! 8)
Well now you have your chance.

[media]https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 4631077888[/media]

NathanOlder

Can we not just let the teams puck their tyres each race. Only Rule being they have to be 3 compounds next to each other e.g supersoft-soft-medium.

That way they cant just pickthe ultrasoft for qualy and then put a hard tyre on to run the whole race after the 1st pit stop. This way drivers like Perez could take 1 step softer than the rest as he's good on his tyres and have a genuine chance at a front row start.

As for a new compound name, just move the names down a compound so the new tyre is called the ultrasoft, the old ultrasoft is now named supersoft all the way up so the old Hard tyre is now named SuperHard or UltraHard.
Otherwise we could have a race where the SuperSoft will be thehardest slowest tyre to be on. How does that make any sense.

"Don't use the SuperSoft, its too Hard" ?!?!??
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ripper

Force India explains why you shouldn't use SuperHard

https://twitter.com/ForceIndiaF1/status ... 5347137537

turbof1

ripper wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 12:24
Force India explains why you shouldn't use SuperHard

https://twitter.com/ForceIndiaF1/status ... 5347137537
There are all kinds of synonyms to get around it. Some of them: solid, stony, firm, severe,... . Yes, yes: we all can look at those in an ambigious fashion. Just like we can look at supersoft, ultrasoft and extremesoft in an ambigious way.

The superlatives for soft tyres are getting out of hand. What's the next step going to be: superduperubersoft?

And maybe this will make marketeers cringe (it does with me, trust me), but why not just throw all these superlatives overboard and go for Tyre Spec1, Tyre Spec2, etc.?
#AeroFrodo

ripper

I was just joking :D

Tyre 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 would be so easy and understandable that they won't even consider to use it because... no

hemichromis

Why don't they just call the hard tyre that no one ever uses 'too hard' the medium can now be hard.

It seems silly that in the race it is rarely anything harder than the soft tyre.

notsofast

Let's just limit Pirelli to 3 types for the entire season.

This new tyre, let's call it soft.
Rename ultrasoft to medium.
Rename supersoft to hard.

Might make some of the races more interesting, requiring perhaps 3 or 4 pit stops.

turbof1

ripper wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 13:08
I was just joking :D

Tyre 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 would be so easy and understandable that they won't even consider to use it because... no
Well, it was not obvious but my message wasn't all too serious as well :D .
#AeroFrodo

jjn9128

This is getting ridiculous. I worry for F1 at the moment, there just doesn't seem to be any common sense behind the decision making.

Why not call the 3 tyre compounds taken to each race the soft, medium and hard?? With the sidewalls red, white and yellow in whatever order. For those who care about which specific compounds of black sticky rubber you could call each grouping 1,2,3 or a,b,c or whatever. So medium in group 1 is the same compound as the soft in group 2?? Or call each tyre 1-6 for the teams and so the commentators can say "we're using tyres 2, 3 and 4 this week" but the graphics only show s,m or h in the little circles. If we get a 'hypersoft' the tyre identifiers will be h,m,s,s,u,h. Likewise 'megasoft' would be h,m,s,s,u,m... how's that logical??
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

PlatinumZealot

ChrisDanger wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 09:56
From the OP:

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 May 2017, 00:05
Visual and technical: colour, compound, construction, heat range, profile.. you name it! 8)
Well now you have your chance.

https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 4631077888
=D> =D> :mrgreen:

See it was a matter of time. :mrgreen:

I nominate Hypersoft of course. 8)

A lot of people seem to be agains the wide range and most of it being soft, but I don't believe we should rename the established tyre types because name changes present too much confusion, and racing tyres by their characteristics are SOFT! So no surprise there that most of the range is soft.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

KeiKo403

Seems like Pirelli are in a tyre war with themselves over who can produce the softest rubber. So long as it promotes better racing I don't care. Softer rubber can generally mean more stop allowing different strategies, however I want to see on track overtakes (without silly DRS) and not drivers getting under/over cut from pit stops.

Shrieker

Next year: Pirelli brings hypersoft. It is deemed 'too soft' in places.
With the development of the new cars and increasing downforce, the teams run into problems.
A call is made to make the tires a bit more durable.
Pirelli obliges. In 2019 the hypersoft is deemed too hard. Teams can 1 stop using the hyper and ultrasoft tires.
Hence, for 2020 Pirelli brings another softer tire that will "spice up" racing. They 'introduce' the super-duper soft tire.

Rinse, repeat.
Last edited by Shrieker on 15 Nov 2017, 14:06, edited 3 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk