A question regarding brakes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer

A question regarding brakes

Lance at Monaco under safely car asked his team to help him heat the brakes as he was unsure how to do so. Team never replied on tv
Martin brundle said he could just press the brakes and the throttle at the same time. This makes perfect sense in a road car or older f1 before recharging batteries and brake by wire.
Does this still work with brake by wire setups.
Also does energy harvesting use the normal brakes or just make it harder to turn the driveshaft. Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

rscsr

Re: A question regarding brakes

marmer wrote:
29 May 2017, 01:07
Lance at Monaco under safely car asked his team to help him heat the brakes as he was unsure how to do so. Team never replied on tv
Martin brundle said he could just press the brakes and the throttle at the same time. This makes perfect sense in a road car or older f1 before recharging batteries and brake by wire.
Does this still work with brake by wire setups.
Also does energy harvesting use the normal brakes or just make it harder to turn the driveshaft. Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
The harvesting of the MGU-K can be seen as additional engine braking and can be used basically whenever they want (until they filled or emptied their energy store). So when you press the brakes and the energy store is empty the MGU-K is charging the batteries by applied a negative torgue on the crankshaft. Basically working as an additional engine braking. And when the batteries are full, no more energy flow from the MGU-K to the storage is allowed therefore they can't use it anymore and you only use your mechanical brakes.
As far as I know the BBW is just a hydraulically operated brake balance adjuster that moves the brake balance forward when the MGU-K can't harvest anymore. And I would believe that the mechanical brakes are always used because the mechanical brakes dissipate more than 2000kW and the MGU-K is only allowed to produce ±160kW.

So to summarise I think that braking harder and more often should help you warming your brakes, even under safety car conditions.

marmer

thanks.

additionally can they harvest anything from the front brakes or is it not allowed/not worth it

rscsr

marmer wrote:
29 May 2017, 10:08
thanks.

additionally can they harvest anything from the front brakes or is it not allowed/not worth it
It would be way more worth than the rear brakes but it is not allowed.
And I would suspect that with the current packaging it would be difficult, but not impossible packaging wise.

The MGU-K is limited to 120kW not 160kW.