Mufflers & motorsport

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JonoNic

Re: Mufflers & motorsport

Santozini wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 21:37
DiogoBrand wrote: Why are they all pointed to the left side? I know this will sound silly, but is the noise measured from the right side of the car?
You are right. The track runs clockwise. Sound check must surely be infield... so why point muffler infield?
Laguna seca is anti-clockwise 8)
Correct. Sorry
Always find the gap then use it.

Santozini

JonoNic wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 12:02
Santozini wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 21:37

You are right. The track runs clockwise. Sound check must surely be infield... so why point muffler infield?
Correct. Sorry
No worries. I'm still curious about why they are pointing to the left though! Anyone? :D

JonoNic

Santozini wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
Santozini wrote: Laguna seca is anti-clockwise 8)
Correct. Sorry
No worries. I'm still curious about why they are pointing to the left though! Anyone? :D
I know that pro drifters do something similar that keeps their exhaust parallel with the track during drifts... Used to blow smoke (blind them) at competitors maybe?
Always find the gap then use it.

BanMeToo

Santozini wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 12:05
JonoNic wrote:
Santozini wrote:
Correct. Sorry
If the microphone is set up on the outside of the exit of turn 5 (see my link on the previous page) then pointing the mufflers infield directs sound away from the mic which is exactly what you'd want.

Fifty

Yeah, and it's a ticket from the state so it's fricking expensive. I did a couple track days there and raced once and only once. That year they were cracking down on race day cars as well. They said that since we are all professionals with timely warning that we would suffer the highest financial penalty, as well as be black flagged.

It sucked.

It's a local ish track to me and I refuse to give them any of my money.

The corkscrew ain't what it's legend is. I would say 5 is trickier and 11 is more fun.

bill shoe

It's a great track to drive. My humble claim to fame is the Laguna-Seca lap record for cars on tires with tread-wear ratings over 600.

The sound-check mic is on the outside of the track midway between 5 and 6. It's just a straight pull up a hill, so you either have effective mufflers or you have to go quarter-throttle the whole way up.

The noise limit is a bit of a pain, but Laguna Seca is a glorious track. Its long-term future is in some doubt. Drive it while you can. At least it's not another "motorsport country club".