Ferrari 2018 concept with Aeroscreen

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jerreclaus

Ferrari 2018 concept with Aeroscreen

Hi all

Long time lurker and all- I made a thing you guys might like.

So apparently, next weekend in Britain there's going to be some testing of Aeroscreen devices. For the past couple of months I have been doing a spare time project about just that. I began the project back in November 2016, when all we got was the Ferrari Halo device and Red Bull's Aeroscreen canopy. For me, it made good sense to combine the two into a new proposal, and so I set off. My main frustration and reason I wanted to do this was the amount of crappy concept visuals that roamed the internet at that time, showing canopies or other devices mounted on existing F1 cars without any aestethic integration. My goal was to finish it before the start of the winter testing in 2017. Well, that didn't happen :roll:

As it turned out I didn't have as much time to work on the project as I'd hoped for, meaning that I have finished my version just now, at the eve of the next official Aeroscreen test. I wonder how the concepts will look in comparison to my concept!

The concept is on my Behance page with a little more images, comments and information from me. https://www.behance.net/gallery/5470033 ... Aeroscreen

For the record, I'm not an engineer, so be gentle at judging my F1 attempt in terms of aerodynamics and such.
I don't know Jack about that :D
Here's hoping this will spark a nice little discussion. As I made this, I myself am still not sure whether I like it or not.

Thanks for looking!

Manoah2u

Re: Ferrari 2018 concept with Aeroscreen

well i'll be damned, that looks absolutely crazy cool awesome
very impressive work, i'd give you 40 upvotes for this if i could, you'd deserve each of them.

offcourse the black and yellow in the livery instead of the cigarette white looks much better too.

would you mind doing some mercedes, williams, mclaren and redbull liveries too?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Shrieker

Dat lookz sick as fuq

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 21:20
YES PLEASE ! If it's not too much of a hassle.
Last edited by Shrieker on 12 Jul 2017, 21:26, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

F1NAC

Is that some kind of Ilustrator software or something similar?Nice work

TAG

The only reservation I have with this shield is will we be able to clearly see drivers raising their fist in anger towards other drivers?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Manoah2u

Shrieker wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 21:22
Dat lookz sick as fuq
doesn't it? :shock: 8)

i'm just staring at the pictures right now, i can't believe how amazing this looks.

i think you really should show this to the big chiefs. send it to the FIA through an email or just be present there with a big print. i'd really urge you to do that, this is just really above anything i'd ever hope for. lets not get disappoint by the FIA and shove this in their faces. please, do it.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

FrukostScones

Very nice design.
I like the fact that you widened the tub for mounting the aeroscreen device.
Also it is intersting to see that adding this screen device is relatively pointless as we can see the drivers head still very exposed and unprotected.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Tim.Wright

The angle of the screen must be pretty close to total internal reflection.
Not the engineer at Force India

void

Well, if an engine blows in front of you, you have a mandatory pitstop to do

Manoah2u

FrukostScones wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 21:44
we can see the drivers head still very exposed and unprotected.
actually no. it's open on the top and a slight upper part near the airbox, but that's it. a wheel is not able to hit it in any way.

Manoah2u

Tim.Wright wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 22:25
The angle of the screen must be pretty close to total internal reflection.
what on earth are you talking about. there's de-mirroring you know, so that won't be a problem.
the only possible negative thing about this is that the shape of the windscreen might cause a distortion
of the view, but i'm sure with the right material that's also possible to minimize or eliminate.

will it be costly? sure. let the FIA pay for that.

i too like that it's widened for the aeroscreen. the additional side effect this has is that there is room for aero 'fun' inside, but it also lessens complicated carbon fiber crash structure inventions as there's more area that can take a beating.

Singabule

Hmmm, not cool, thats HOT! Thank for your effort mate!

dashboard107k

Pretty cool I think. Lots of bangin' wheels and accidents tho cuz there are no side mirrors. In any case, it still looks cool.

jerreclaus

Manoah2u wrote:
well i'll be damned, that looks absolutely crazy cool awesome
very impressive work, i'd give you 40 upvotes for this if i could, you'd deserve each of them.

offcourse the black and yellow in the livery instead of the cigarette white looks much better too.

Shrieker wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 21:22
Dat lookz sick as fuq

Manoah2u wrote:
YES PLEASE ! If it's not too much of a hassle.
F1NAC wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 21:23
Is that some kind of Ilustrator software or something similar?Nice work
Thanks guys. In response to your questions: this is a 3D model (SolidWorks) rendered in Keyshot. I would love to make some other liveries but it is a little time consuming (set up and rendering) so don't wait up for it :D I'll see what I can do though. I reckon a Senna era Mclaren livery would kick candy covered balls on this one. The MP4-4 had a similar looking screen now that I think of it.

jerreclaus

dashboard107k wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 08:02
Pretty cool I think. Lots of bangin' wheels and accidents tho cuz there are no side mirrors. In any case, it still looks cool.
Thanks dude. I imagined this concept to have electronic rear view mirrors, with tiny screens in the cockpit. I remember the Red Bull X2010 had something similar that could maybe work in this context. Note the HUD, how cool is that!