Ferrari 2018 concept with Aeroscreen

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Manoah2u

Re: Ferrari 2018 concept with Aeroscreen

Jef Patat wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 16:00
RedNEO wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 13:52
Generally you don't look at f1 cars from the side. Check some frontal views
It's a beauty isn't it... #-o
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... _HiRes.jpg
that looks so bad. and not in a good way.

Vettel mentioned he got dizzy from it, probably because of the curved shape which deforms the view. not good news at all.

i'm all positive for keeping cars full open-cockpit and perhaps there are more solutions to be found in the helmet, though that too has it's limits.
still the problem here is that the bianchi crash above all moved this caravan. despite the fact that this would not have changed anything, at all for bianchi's outcome - it might have made it worse even. bianchi's death was the result of abrupt decelleration against an nearly immovable object. no matter what you do to protect the head of the driver, if you plow a f1 car 200kph+ into a concrete wall nose first, no decelleration, it will be fatal.
and above all, none of it would have happened if the race was redflagged for too dangerous driving conditions atleast 5 laps before like it really should have.

the absolute truth is that the responsibility for Bianchi's death was and is Charlie Whiting. there is no denying it, no matter how some 'intern' investigation of the FIA offcourse would claim otherwise. I think if a completely independant crime scene investigation team would have thoroughly investigated the situation, Whiting should have been charged with guilty of manslaughter. for that though, bianchi should have perished right there, right then. but well, that's another discussion and another issue where justice will never be served unfortunately.

still, it doesn't take away that this is an unneccesary solution.
be it that it will be implemented one day, then so be it, but don't do it half-baked.

i like the suggestion above that it needs implementation rather than slap-on, like the cams and t-bars.

F1 needs to change these things thoroughly and start re-baking it all. implement camera's the right way, not hideous slap-on things. and so with this thing.

just pay for a thorough professional investigation on how to implement a aeroscreen/halo like device - especially the example of the OP, and build a modern F1 car around it. step away from 30 years of similar design, open up for atleast some change.

do research on making a safety cell with frontal head protection, make it as light as possible, and as small as possible, and as narrow as possible, but make several ideas. from narrow and long and tall, to wider/thicker and shorter and lower. there's so much possibility. it would also open up nose designs, aero designs, wing designs.

basically, have a safety cell and have the ability of the engine connected behind it and done. let the rest be total artistic and technical engineering freedom.

including design excersizes with wings and without wings.
with bigger rim sizes or similar rim sizes.
with ground effects or not.
with or without airboxes.

and do a thorough calculation on costs and implementation costs.

find the solution that has the most potential for development, competitiveness, and cost effective. cheapest is not the best per sé, but most expensive neither is.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Redragon

n_anirudh wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 13:40

There is a significant amount of distortion for objects closer to the aeroscreen. Look at the mechanic's left arm.
Would this be a problem during overtaking? or the first corner? or will drivers get used to ?

Maybe some drivers wear prescription glasses/contacts. could this make things worse for them?
That distortion is minimise when you are closer from the aeroscreen, at the moment this picture is taken with a zoom lens from a long distance that also creates distortion it self so the picture how it has been taken maximise even more that distortion. So the only ones to have a real determination of the look through are the drivers. Let's see what it is their statement and opinion.

Sniffit

“I’ve made myself clear since the beginning: we don’t need anything,” the Haas driver said at Silverstone on Friday. “Obviously the test was not very conclusive today.

“I’m against every Halo or shield or whatever, it’s not Formula 1.”

When asked if the shield was at least the best solution to appear so far, Grosjean added: “No, it’s as bad as the Halo.

“I tried the Halo last year, I hated it, it made me sick, so we haven’t yet found a good solution.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gros ... 30664/?s=1

Thank you GRO, atlast a sensible comment on this travesty.

Shrieker

Jef Patat wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
It needs some tint maybe ? Don't be so dismissive. These are just baby steps :wink:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Edax

Jef Patat wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
Though I am not against a screen, and this is better than the halo......

..... from that side it looks like they simply took a helmet visor, enlarged it and stuck it on the hood.

There must be better ways of doing this.

RedNEO

Jef Patat wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
Lol oh gawd my eyes

Redragon

If the screen and the halo is to reduce a frontal hit as Bianchi, where the helmet hitted the crane, why not to have a mechanism that lower the driver in the cockpit, lowering his head when frontal crash to a level that is protected by cockpit
It will mean I guess higher cars or bigger cockpit but statically will not change much.
As Manoah2u stated Bianchi died of decelleration as your brain has a limit to handle.
The screen will stop accidents as Barrichelo that are 1 in a 1000000 to happen

Manoah2u

i think you ment Massa's incident?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Redragon

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 12:30
yep sorry not much sleep today

Redragon

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 12:30
yep sorry not much sleep today
the mechanism of driver lowing on cockpit I am refering would work as the cat's eye on UK roads. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cat%2 ... 63&bih=597
Don't know if it would be possible but just an idea or sugestion

FrukostScones

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 05:29
FrukostScones wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 21:44
we can see the drivers head still very exposed and unprotected.
actually no. it's open on the top and a slight upper part near the airbox, but that's it. a wheel is not able to hit it in any way.
? yeah sure. that is what you are thinking.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u

No, that's a fact. the windscreen will deflect a window, and the window is high enough at the front to block the wheel from hitting the top part of the helmet. the latter part of the window, where it is near the headrest, is low enough to expose the top part of the helmet, but that does not mean a wheel can hit it.

the window first of all deflects enough that it will alter it's trajectory so that the danger is averted. even in a freak situation where the wheel would somehow find a way to aim at the driver's head from the side, the wheels are too FAT to be able to hit that helmet, because of the 'little' space that is open for the helmet to be exposed.

simply put; because the width of the tires/wheels, the side protection for the helmet paired to the airbox and the window makes it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for a wheel to hit the driver. and again, the front part of the window opening on the top is high enough to block the wheel's trajectory from hitting the helmet.

so no, not opinions at all, it's fact. a fact easily shown by the calculations of the wheel dimensions

and that is not even mentioning the fact that wheels supposedly are NOT able to come off, due to the tethering and restrictions there. it is virtually impossible for that to happen. the likeliness of a wheel coming off is absolutely minimal, and in the freak case that it does come off, it's even less possible to be in the vincinity of the driver's head. let alone if it had the aeroscreen [ or the halo for that matter].

the aeroscreen then is not only and fully for wheels, rather more for debris. and for that, it will do it's job 100% guaranteed.

again. fact, not thinking.

roon

Visual aesthetics, like sound aesthetics, are not typically a primary design criteria for these cars, nor in motorsports in general, I'd wager. Cars that happened to look or sound good were surely accidents. The fat-tire cigar cars of the 60s and the wail of the V10 were not composed to become such, with forethought toward beauty. They were merely solutions to the unique design problem of the era, and the result happened to work while offering the bonus unintended consequence of supreme harmoniousness. Many (most?) racecars don't achieve this. Complaining while waiting for the next masterpiece is useless & annoying. Make one yourself, if you can. I'd rather see a dozen attempts at this, like what the OP has done, than a dozen complaints & vapid critiques.
Last edited by roon on 16 Jul 2017, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

Redragon wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 20:15
n_anirudh wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 13:40

There is a significant amount of distortion for objects closer to the aeroscreen. Look at the mechanic's left arm.
Would this be a problem during overtaking? or the first corner? or will drivers get used to ?

Maybe some drivers wear prescription glasses/contacts. could this make things worse for them?
That distortion is minimise when you are closer from the aeroscreen, at the moment this picture is taken with a zoom lens from a long distance that also creates distortion it self so the picture how it has been taken maximise even more that distortion. So the only ones to have a real determination of the look through are the drivers. Let's see what it is their statement and opinion.
You will get distortion unless the screen is made from a material with a refractive index of 1. Anything else will always cause distortion because of the angle involved.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Manoah2u

jerreclaus wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 17:49
Hi all

Long time lurker and all- I made a thing you guys might like.

So apparently, next weekend in Britain there's going to be some testing of Aeroscreen devices. For the past couple of months I have been doing a spare time project about just that. I began the project back in November 2016, when all we got was the Ferrari Halo device and Red Bull's Aeroscreen canopy. For me, it made good sense to combine the two into a new proposal, and so I set off. My main frustration and reason I wanted to do this was the amount of crappy concept visuals that roamed the internet at that time, showing canopies or other devices mounted on existing F1 cars without any aestethic integration. My goal was to finish it before the start of the winter testing in 2017. Well, that didn't happen :roll:

As it turned out I didn't have as much time to work on the project as I'd hoped for, meaning that I have finished my version just now, at the eve of the next official Aeroscreen test. I wonder how the concepts will look in comparison to my concept!

The concept is on my Behance page with a little more images, comments and information from me. https://www.behance.net/gallery/5470033 ... Aeroscreen

For the record, I'm not an engineer, so be gentle at judging my F1 attempt in terms of aerodynamics and such.
I don't know Jack about that :D
Here's hoping this will spark a nice little discussion. As I made this, I myself am still not sure whether I like it or not.

Thanks for looking!

https://postimg.org/image/xbpu88jd9/

https://postimg.org/image/q249pj4st/

https://postimage.org

https://postimage.org
AFAIW, i've sent the FIA a heads up in regards to this concept.
who knows.

* also to RedBull and Ferrari.