HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Any pics from Hungary test of teams testing the halo??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

cplchanb

adrianjordan wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 14:11
Merc is testing it
Apparently theres a thinner halo with a thin central pillar.... So the fia still can't learn...its that damn donut over the driver not the pillar thats the most problematic....they neeed to thin that filth out and MAYBE... there MIGHT be something to think a bit about

ChrisDanger

adrianjordan wrote:

cplchanb

ChrisDanger wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 15:29
adrianjordan wrote:
https://img.f1today.eu/x/full/photos/59 ... be48b7.jpg

https://img.f1today.eu/x/full/photos/59 ... b0d900.jpg
:sick: ....especially the side profile....cant they make that slant less extreme and more parallel with the monocoque lines?

well i guess since this was merc's idea that was incepted into our french friend's mind....they should be the ones responsible for making this half stomachable....

jjn9128

I don't know if Merc were testing a thinner central pillar (20mm vs 16mm is a bit tricky to tell) but they were definitely testing a 'aerodynamic' fairing around the halo. Looks like it's made of machined foam or something else non-structural just taped around the front and back faces of the hoop. Can't see if they have but I imagine there are probes in the airbox to compare to the unfaired version.

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Chene_Mostert

its hideous.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

ChrisDanger

Is there any point in complaining about it any more? I don't get complaining, generally. The only thing I seem to complain about is people complaining all the time... :roll:

Anyway, a video to help it all sink in.

Sevach

I don't get the "thong" design where the center pillar meets the halo itself, why? It stands out as the ugliest area on something that is already hideously ugly.
This is the 3rd version and they where all like this...

ChrisDanger

A video of George Russell in the HALO-equipped W08.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/892716781218942976

adrianjordan

Sevach wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 16:52
I don't get the "thong" design where the center pillar meets the halo itself, why? It stands out as the ugliest area on something that is already hideously ugly.
This is the 3rd version and they where all like this...
Agreed. If they could sort that bit out and make the ring itself more streamlined, then maybe it would look somewhat better...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ClarkBT11

Because the black contrast better with the silver it looks slightly better than on the scarlet Ferrari but still looks just as bad as the coat hanger at the back of the car..

ESPImperium

Ive always wondered why the central section isn't taken away for two smaller less obtrusive (but still structurally strong enough) pillars don't come down and join on as part of the wing mirrors mounts?

If it was like this, i think it would get a nod form me as it would be much better looking for me, however still grotesque in the terms of the look of a F1 car.

Manoah2u

ClarkBT11 wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 19:13
https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GDOzRsy.jpg

Because the black contrast better with the silver it looks slightly better than on the scarlet Ferrari but still looks just as bad as the coat hanger at the back of the car..
looks like an umbrella stand lol.

Am i the only one who gets some odd feelings looking at that Red Helmet in the Merc like that, immediately reminding me of Schumacher's helmet when he was @ Mercedes?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ClarkBT11

Manoah2u wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 22:41
ClarkBT11 wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 19:13
https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GDOzRsy.jpg

looks like an umbrella stand lol.

Am i the only one who gets some odd feelings looking at that Red Helmet in the Merc like that, immediately reminding me of Schumacher's helmet when he was @ Mercedes?
No, I think of Schumacher every time I see a red racing Helmut in a Mercedes.

ClarkBT11

ESPImperium wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 21:04
Ive always wondered why the central section isn't taken away for two smaller less obtrusive (but still structurally strong enough) pillars don't come down and join on as part of the wing mirrors mounts?

If it was like this, i think it would get a nod form me as it would be much better looking for me, however still grotesque in the terms of the look of a F1 car.
The centre pillar is the FIA trying to protect the drivers head from another Massa incident... They couldn't organise a stag night in a brewery. Your idea would look better though.