HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

i think it's going to evolve that way anyway. and as i mentioned before, the path to the halo is shorter, and has been walked upon for a while now in 'development'.
it is quickly applyable and that same doesn't go for the aeroscreen. Even if Indy impresses with the screen, still have to see ballistic testing [if you want to call it like that]
and it doesn't cover the ground and mandates F1 imposes [easiest mention is helmet exposing].

the halo will evolve too, just like the headrests have done upon their first inception.
and meanwhile indy impreoves their screen, and i'm sure the aeroscreen also will be further developed.

give it 3 to 5 years tops and the aeroscreen/indyscreen will be 'mixed' with the halo and you'll see the 'final' product.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dans79

I'm not sure if this had been posted or not, but it shows why the screen is garbage.

197 104 103 7

TAG

dans79 wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 17:48
I'm not sure if this had been posted or not, but it shows why the screen is garbage
Does it? To me is shows that a canopy works just as well would have been far superior from an appearance factor and would have been lighter. Seems like the FiA compromised and rushed a half thought out solution in order to cover themselves from liability.

Massa's spring would still hit him in the face.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

TAG wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 18:09
Does it? To me is shows that a canopy works just as well would have been far superior from an appearance factor and would have been lighter. Seems like the FiA compromised and rushed a half thought out solution in order to cover themselves from liability.
Read my post again, I said the screen specifically because it failed the test. I said nothing about the canopy.
197 104 103 7

cplchanb
cplchanb

dans79 wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 18:37
TAG wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 18:09
Read my post again, I said the screen specifically because it failed the test. I said nothing about the canopy.
imo the shattering of the windscreen can be down to the material or screen angle; both relatively easy to correct.
RB's screen already showed that with a few modifications over the years the concept can work.

dans79

cplchanb wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 19:43
imo the shattering of the windscreen can be down to the material or screen angle; both relatively easy to correct.
It has a lot more to do with the fact that the top is unsupported, and thus is incredibly weak.

The angle isn't going to make much difference, and frankly the range of possible angles is fairly limited, because you have physical constraints related to the tub itself, and optical constraints related to drivers visibility.

for example:
https://jalopnik.com/f1s-new-windshield ... 1796925984
“Forward vision is not very good. I think it’s because of the curvature – it’s got quite a bit of distortion, plus you get quite a bit of downwash down the straight pushing the helmet forward, so... We had a run planned with it but I didn’t like it, so we took it off.
Thus you're really only left with making it thicker, and that to has constraints, related to optics and the ability to manufacture it. not to mention the weight penalty.

A fully enclosed cockpit style canopy would work much better, but that opens a whole other can of worms.
197 104 103 7

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Yeah, that quote from Vettel, concerning the (1/2-arsed) Ferrari aero-screen test - is of highly questionable value.

Given that Ferrari had declared their pick, ( halo) already, that supposed 'test' was a decidedly dubious stunt,
- if not a frankly biased set-up.

Either way, the lack of variables control shown by the FIA, & duly noted by posters here, was overtly unscientific,
& seemingly hurriedly performed, thus also seemingly predicated - to quickly dismiss the aero-screen,
- rather than offer an objective/comparative appraisal - versus the putative 'efficacy' of the halo.

This conclusion is borne out by Dixon's promising track-test of the prototype Indy aero-screen,
& the (IMO), somewhat 'huffy' defensive response to it, demonstrated by the halo-backer brigade.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Late two bobs worth (probably 20 cents):
History will judge this new regulation poorly.
It's like being half pregnant (so i hear) or the Claytons drink.
There have been enough accidents (young Surtees and Massa for example) to show the need for a solution. (foresight or one accident should have been enough, glacial comes to mind)

FW17

Fia will soon test a piece opticor and publish the video on youtube, will show everyone that a wheel is not going to change direction in any way

djos

FW17 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 15:23
Fia will soon test a piece opticor and publish the video on youtube, will show everyone that a wheel is not going to change direction in any way
Let's see if they test a properly engineered solution first before jumping to conclusions!
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 22:26
FW17 wrote:
Let's see if they test a properly engineered solution first before jumping to conclusions!
Like last time??

djos

Zynerji wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 22:38
djos wrote:
FW17 wrote:
Like last time??
I hope that's sarcasm because the last windscreen test they did was a joke. For starters the poly carbonate they used wasn't molded and secondly it was quite thin. Looked like something you'd find on a motorcycle.
"In downforce we trust"

strad

In my opinion the test itself is flawed and the results darn near worthless.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 23:15
In my opinion the test itself is flawed and the results darn near worthless.
Agreed, it really does not reflect 70 years of F1 accident profiles.
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 23:11
Zynerji wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 22:38
djos wrote:

Like last time??
I hope that's sarcasm because the last windscreen test they did was a joke. For starters the poly carbonate they used wasn't molded and secondly it was quite thin. Looked like something you'd find on a motorcycle.
Obvious joke and sarcasm..