HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

roon wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 19:33
Clown wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 11:42
https://i.imgur.com/9twI2pB.jpg
Many have speculated upon how the halo will hinder ingress and egress from the cockpit. Might this image suggest that it will improve? A more ergonomic "pull-up/chin-up" motion from the arms, instead of pivoting on the elbows atop the cockpit sides with a "chicken wings" motion.

FrukostScones wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 18:05
RIC crashed... maybe it was because of the Halo, maybe wet races are history from now on...
as I still think ,Halo will hinder some drivers ... driving fast.
looks might be not th eonly problem with this device.
From the driver himself:

Daniel Ricciardo wrote:So far I can see fine with the halo. I’d only done a couple of installs with it before so it was pretty new today but I really didn’t notice it was there, which is pretty good. Honestly, unless there’s stuff above, I don’t see any issues at all on a flat track. news/21509
thx. so far so good.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 12:02

how about the floor with a Halo cut slot in it where the halo rips through the floor and side pod. Its all possible, So like the pro Halo camp saying a wheel to the head is possible, this is also, yet its over looked for some reason ?
I'm not pro-halo but I'm aware that it solves more potential problems than the aero screen does so far. If the aero screen can be shown to be as effective then great, adopt it. But the anti-halo types just hate the halo on looks alone (some hate the idea of any protection, of course). Making up increasingly unlikely situations as a way of showing that the halo won't work is daft. In any of those same situations, the aero screen will also likely fail. So the halo has net benefit over the aero screen so far.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 14:06
NathanOlder wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 12:02

how about the floor with a Halo cut slot in it where the halo rips through the floor and side pod. Its all possible, So like the pro Halo camp saying a wheel to the head is possible, this is also, yet its over looked for some reason ?
I'm not pro-halo but I'm aware that it solves more potential problems than the aero screen does so far. If the aero screen can be shown to be as effective then great, adopt it. But the anti-halo types just hate the halo on looks alone (some hate the idea of any protection, of course). Making up increasingly unlikely situations as a way of showing that the halo won't work is daft. In any of those same situations, the aero screen will also likely fail. So the halo has net benefit over the aero screen so far.
Fair enough, and for the record I have always said the Halo will solve problems, but it adds different problems that weren't there before. It's just a few people won't accept the Halo can do any bad at all.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Moose
Moose

The "some reason" that debris puncturing through the floor is overlooked is simple. It doesn't happen commonly.

Meanwhile, debris or solid objects to the head *do* happen pretty regularly if you examine a large enough sample size with all open wheel racing series, rather than just staring blindly at F1 and asserting "see, wheels to the head never happen".

Head debris has been the biggest cause of serious injury in open wheel racing for quite some time, so the FIA are addressing it. The halo has proven to be the most effective method of dealing with head debris so far thought of in their testing; so they're pursuing that approach at least until a better solution is shown to them.

I don't get how this has become such a big issue... quit whining about something so --- insignificant.

NathanOlder

If "debris puncturing through the floor is overlooked is simple." is aimed at me, then I think you have misread my post, or just missed the point i was putting across. I was referring to the Floor being damaged on the Halo as it enters the cockpit.

Just out of interest, how many examples of serious injury because of head debry has their been in open wheel racing ? and of those how much will the Halo help, just as an example the Halo probably did nothing for Massa in 09.

I have Justin Wilson, Henry Surtees saved by the Halo, and WIlson would have been saved by the canopy. So only Surtees would have been saved by the Halo alone.
I dont know about Dan Wheldon could he have been saved, the forces involved were mesmerising. So thats a debate not worth getting in to.

Serious injuries where the Halo would do nothing,

Massa 09, Schumacher 99, Hakkinen 95, Billy Monger 17, Jules Bianchi 16, Sergio Perez 11, Robert Kubica 07.

These were just examples i could think of , of the top of my head. Im struggling to see how you can call Big debry to the head as the biggest contributer to serious injury?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

djos

I still contend that the halo would not have saved Henry, he was stuck on top of his head and only a closed cockpit would have prevented his death.

The videos imo clearly show the wheel on a downward trajectory at the time it hit him. The wheel was bouncing in a sine wave like fashion and did not hit him from the side, it hit him directly on top of his helmet while on its way back down to earth.
"In downforce we trust"

Daliracing

Williams and Sauber painted the halo white but will the inside of the halo reflect sunlight because its white? Ferrari made it black on the inside, is this better?

Jolle
Jolle

Daliracing wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 00:43
Williams and Sauber painted the halo white but will the inside of the halo reflect sunlight because its white? Ferrari made it black on the inside, is this better?
I thought I saw a directive somewhere that the inside of the halo should be non painted. Maybe it’s just a tip. The top of the halo is outside of the drivers view anyway (because of the sun visor) and glare would come from the nose/cockpit even worse anyway

Daliracing

Jolle wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 00:51
Daliracing wrote:
I thought I saw a directive somewhere that the inside of the halo should be non painted. Maybe it’s just a tip. The top of the halo is outside of the drivers view anyway (because of the sun visor) and glare would come from the nose/cockpit even worse anyway
But can the top of the cockpit reflect it inside the halo? Maybe its a weird angle but i was just thinking about it

Jolle
Jolle

Daliracing wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 00:57
Jolle wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 00:51
Daliracing wrote:
But can the top of the cockpit reflect it inside the halo? Maybe its a weird angle but i was just thinking about it
The sun visor will block that. Drivers really see just a very small band. Everything above the horizon is basically blocked. The top of the halo is far above that.

jagunx51

make me dizzy just watching the first minute....look at that massive bar in the middle & above !! :shock: :shock:

how could they see the starting light, the pitstop light ?

............!!!!

djos

jagunx51 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 01:43
make me dizzy just watching the first minute....look at that massive bar in the middle & above !! :shock: :shock:

how could they see the starting light, the pitstop light ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... dH_-KKP7JE
I dont think the camera angle is quite right ... but Ugggh, that's awful!
"In downforce we trust"

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Has anyone on the action side said the halo is a good thing (as opposed to "its ok")
Toto Wolff thought a chainsaw would be appropriate

The_table

A normal person will look at a picture of these new cars and say "why the hell do they have a bar in front of their face?" .

jagunx51

johnny comelately wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 02:06
Has anyone on the action side said the halo is a good thing (as opposed to "its ok")
Toto Wolff thought a chainsaw would be appropriate
for the 1st time, I agree with Toto Wolf :)
............!!!!