HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
iulian_florea

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

I wonder how Eau Rouge would be seen with a halo.
Anyone tried it in F1 2018 game? :)

Jolle

iulian_florea wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 22:59
the HALO has a line of sight of about 25-30 degrees upwards, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to simulate what a driver really sees in a video game, you should tape off all of the screen just above the horizon. Their sun-visor blocks everything. Plus, because you have stereo vision instead of a flat screen, you won't notice or see the middle beam.

garygph

Jolle wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 22:18
garygph wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 19:18
I am not sure if this has been discussed already, if so my apologies.

Am I the only person who is concerned about the aero guide vanes on the Halo becoming carbon spears if debris hits it, or a roll over, another car ( Raikkonen/Alonso type collision) and so on? https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/ ... r1/013.jpg
(small) carbon parts are too light to have any energy to penetrate the drivers suits (3-ply nomex), belts with HANS or their helmets.

Carbon looks heavy and solid, when you hold it it's more like paper.
Yes I have held carbon before it was impregnated with epoxy and cured and it is like thick paper but not afterwards andI do not think those vanes( cannot think of a better description) are like paper otherwise they would distort under load. Also a straw has has not strength untill it is end on. Maybe my imagination is taking me on a joy ride :)

Jolle

garygph wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 23:39
Jolle wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 22:18
garygph wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 19:18
I am not sure if this has been discussed already, if so my apologies.

Am I the only person who is concerned about the aero guide vanes on the Halo becoming carbon spears if debris hits it, or a roll over, another car ( Raikkonen/Alonso type collision) and so on? https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/ ... r1/013.jpg
(small) carbon parts are too light to have any energy to penetrate the drivers suits (3-ply nomex), belts with HANS or their helmets.

Carbon looks heavy and solid, when you hold it it's more like paper.
Yes I have held carbon before it was impregnated with epoxy and cured and it is like thick paper but not afterwards andI do not think those vanes( cannot think of a better description) are like paper otherwise they would distort under load. Also a straw has has not strength untill it is end on. Maybe my imagination is taking me on a joy ride :)
The only part of the driver sticking out of the tub is their head with bullet proof helmet. The only way if their suit will be "hit' by a winglet that is falling off, if is the car is stationery and there is no wind (so light are they). So no, there is no danger.

NathanOlder

So If a large hard object (example a 1kg spring) hits the halo at 210mph, the Halo fairing cannot be smashed to bits and deflected downwards ? Let alone the possibility of the spring being deflected down ?

did have to chuckle at something though,

We now have bulletproof helmets, and we are all panicking over being hit by some hypersoft ultrasoft supersoft rubber :lol: :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 00:40
So If a large hard object (example a 1kg spring) hits the halo at 210mph, the Halo fairing cannot be smashed to bits and deflected downwards ? Let alone the possibility of the spring being deflected down ?

did have to chuckle at something though,

We now have bulletproof helmets, and we are all panicking over being hit by some hypersoft ultrasoft supersoft rubber :lol: :lol:
spring deflected into the cockpit -> from the front, impossible. If for some reason you're at more then a 45degree angle spinning, possible, but then your speed is lower or there will be an accident so great that a spring is the least of your worries. There are no trajectories that end up on the drivers body. For small pieces, it could, but without any energy (the air resistance is too great for their density) to make any impact on the nomex clothing.

NathanOlder

I'm glad every shaped object made from various materials have been tested at various speeds =D> =D>
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Just for an example , if a spring was bouncing carelessly across the race track from the driver left to right and bounced up and hit here in this photo, how can you guarantee it cant enter the cockpit?

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 01:01
Just for an example , if a spring was bouncing carelessly across the race track from the driver left to right and bounced up and hit here in this photo, how can you guarantee it cant enter the cockpit?

https://i.imgur.com/tcfwSko.jpg
From where the front wheel is located?

WaikeCU

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 01:01

https://i.imgur.com/tcfwSko.jpg
Are you trying to say that debris could ricochet off the halo towards the head of the driver? Plausible... :roll:

FW17

iulian_florea wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 22:59

zac510

Of course it's possible, but its energy will be dissipated after deflecting off of the halo so there's still a net gain.

The petty HALO arguments (for example about visibility which are no issue in other forms of racing like LMP1 or tin-tops) are just getting repetitive and boring now. The FIA aren't suddenly going to come out and say "oh we were reading the forums and we didn't think of Eau Rouge.. Quick, everybody remove the HALO before Melbourne."

Of course the HALO is not perfect safetywise, nor appearancewise. F1's rule changes are rarely perfect the first time, they take a season or two for the balance of teams vs FIA to sort itself out. Like breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, it's better to accept it at first and look forward to the future instead. At first there's an initial shock but over time we will get over it. I'm looking forward to F1's efforts to minimise its visual impact by reducing the thickness of the bars, or reduce the size of the airbox so that the driver does not look so hidden. Or move to an aeroscreen entirely.

johnny comelately

There will be zero visual impairment as proven by this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY

strad

I have a piece of carbon fiber from Alonso's big wreck that is 6inches by 2 ½ inches and it is 22 grams. Quite frankly more than I thought when holding it.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Restomaniac

johnny comelately wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 15:41
There will be zero visual impairment as proven by this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY
Indeed. Hold a pencil in front of your eyes whilst watching something on the TV, wear scratched glasses, etc and after a while you won't even see it. Stereopsis and the complex brain is brilliant at solving this. Drivers will easily see through the middle part of the halo.