HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

adrianjordan wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 10:56
Manoah2u wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 22:30
i just don't get why people still discuss it. it's here, it's implemented, whatever. deal with it. the reason has been given, done.

if your/my boss decides, from tomorrow on, you are going to wear a helmet and goggles because there have been freak accidents where a brick fell on somebody's head, does it also get milked or poked endlessly despite it being a dead horse? it's that simple, really.

mathematically, chances are as good as non-existant that whilst on a construction site, a brick or other object can fall on your head. in reality, it happens more than once. not all the time, but it happens plenty enough. plenty enough times bricks fell inches short. plenty times they hit. and everytime, if somebody HAD protection, it would have resulted either in no injury or minimal injury, but at the very least, not life-threatening. do we also get people complaining 'the worker should decide it for themselves'. 'its aesthetically unpleasing'. 'the cap and goggles hinder sight and maneuvrability'. 'real men dont wear it'. 'if you can't handle the danger, you shouldnt be a construction worker'.? you just grab the cap/helmet, put on the goggles, and go do your thing. end of story. it saves your and other peoples lives form own or other peoples mistakes. no matter how relatively small the chances.
so honestly, why still the endless moaning. deal with it.

and as todt said. if something better or more advanced comes along, we'll take it. done.

if the halo was really an issue for driving an f1 car, we would have had plenty concerns, problems and issues with various testing during the 2017 season, and during post-season testing.
we would also have had concern during the pre-season testing.

we have had none, no driver at any point ever said 'i can't drive the car with the halo'. really, that's all that's to be concidered.

next week, first race of 2018. finally. may the moaning stop.
It's called democracy and free speach. Just because it's here, doesn't mean we stop discussing it. If you don't like the conversation, don't come into the thread.
with all due respect, but who do you think you are or what position do you think you hold to decide about that? if you don't like a differing opinion, don't come to a forum - or just ignore it.

and democracy has nothing to do with it. the halo has not been democratically implemented, designed or appointed. neither is there any democracy for 'fans' as if their opinion matters in any way to the existance or non existance of the halo.

and free speech at that, means somebody also is allowed to give their critical opinion on endless repetitive arguments that have been discussed to death. so i repeat - dont put yourself into a position that you're not in. it goes both ways, you are free to stay out of the thread too, thank you.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

strad

if your/my boss decides, from tomorrow on, you are going to wear a helmet and goggles because there have been freak accidents where a brick fell on somebody's head, does it also get milked or poked endlessly despite it being a dead horse? it's that simple, really.
I have said that I am not in favor of it but you are absolutely correct on this. They, the FIA make the rules if you don't like it try a different series. The discussion is basically over.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bauc

Any chance can we see slimmer and more aesthetic HALO next year? I haven't read any news on any HALO development going on. By all means F1, this ''thing'' should get lighter and more aerodynamically efficient as the years go by....
Last edited by bauc on 21 Mar 2018, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

santos

You will get used to it. And the problem of being difficult to identify the driver, i had it before the halo. Some helmets are easy to identify the driver, others are just full of stickers and looks all the same. Teams could use the halo to help to identify the driver. Like some cars had in the 90's. One car had yellow marks, the other had red.

zac510

bauc wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 13:38
Any chance we can see slimmer and more aesthetic HALO next year? I haven't read any news on any HALO development going on. By all means F1, this ''thing'' should get lighter and more aerodynamically efficient as the years go by....
I agree (and made a similar post a few pages ago). Certainly making it more aero-neutral by design would remove the 20mm of add-ons that the teams have added, making it less bulky.

I also think removing the T-cam might make the car seem less cluttered around that area.

FW17

zac510 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 14:09
bauc wrote:
Any chance we can see slimmer and more aesthetic HALO next year? I haven't read any news on any HALO development going on. By all means F1, this ''thing'' should get lighter and more aerodynamically efficient as the years go by....
I agree (and made a similar post a few pages ago). Certainly making it more aero-neutral by design would remove the 20mm of add-ons that the teams have added, making it less bulky.

I also think removing the T-cam might make the car seem less cluttered around that area.
Maybe V2 will be flat sections rather than pipe section for the halo element, similar to the support column

bauc

FW17 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 14:31
zac510 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 14:09
bauc wrote:

Maybe V2 will be flat sections rather than pipe section for the halo element, similar to the support column
Yeah, that would be nice!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

johnny comelately

Apparently lacking an appropriate topic/ thread, I post this here as it engenders much to consider.
Before those who trawl the site looking for what they perceive as negative (rather than positive) and get out their ach-ach guns, have a read and build on the positives, whether or not you see it as technical (some of it is)
I see some flaws with some ideas, but there is some good thinking as well.
Well written by a knowledgeable (does that spelling look right to you?) Australian motor racing lawyer of all things.

https://primotipo.com/2017/08/31/halos- ... ed-wheels/

strad

My God if only I could have put it so well.
Thank You for passing along the finest article and ideas on F1 that I have heard in all my long years of following F1.
Some of us have over the years tried to put forth many of these ideas only to be laughed at and derided.
Except for one or two things it my full support.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

That article was great when talking about the governance stuff at the beginning. =D>
When he got to the detail of the cars etc. he just went back to what he first watched in the 70s. He doesn't want F1, he wants 70s F1. #-o That still exists, of course, as people do still race those old cars. =D>

It's the same old problem - nostalgia isn't what it was. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cplchanb

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 11:04
That article was great when talking about the governance stuff at the beginning. =D>
When he got to the detail of the cars etc. he just went back to what he first watched in the 70s. He doesn't want F1, he wants 70s F1. #-o That still exists, of course, as people do still race those old cars. =D>

agreed. This whole back to the glory days is just getting old and slightly annoying now. Manual GB and no radios? forget it! I can see simplified aero to some degree but just trying to unthink everything that has happened in the last 40 years is just utopian dreamworld. Theres always the Australian F5000 series if you want to see the old school cars again in 2010s spec.

johnny comelately

cplchanb wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 15:38
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 11:04

agreed. This whole back to the glory days is just getting old and slightly annoying now. Manual GB and no radios? forget it! I can see simplified aero to some degree but just trying to unthink everything that has happened in the last 40 years is just utopian dreamworld. Theres always the Australian F5000 series if you want to see the old school cars again in 2010s spec.
Wouldnt be good to see you annoyed :wink: , so what do you think about Mr Mears' opinion in this article I posted (sometime in my world) ? - https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... r-warning/

strad

I see it differently.
He's not trying to go back to the 70s but rather go back to those things that made F1.
You can blend the old with the new and have much better racing in my opinion.
Sir Stirling Moss

Jolle

strad wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 20:25
I see it differently.
He's not trying to go back to the 70s but rather go back to those things that made F1.
Cigarette companies, drug money and small English barns with a cosworth V8? :D

johnny comelately

strad wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 20:25
I see it differently.
Precisely