HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AJI
AJI

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Vasconia wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 11:34
AJI wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 10:24
The Halo has completely ruined all on-board camera angles. I'd rather they didn't show them at all anymore.
It's the gift that keeps on giving...
Same here, I found them completely annoying.
How about a camera mounted in the centre of the 'vagina' part of the Halo? That'd be a pretty good view.

Honestly, no pun intended...

DarkAlman

What happens if the car gets flipped?

Will they even be able to get out?

Moose

DarkAlman wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 05:33
What happens if the car gets flipped?

Will they even be able to get out?
Yes - in fact, the drivers who have tested it said it's easier to get out of a flipped car with a halo than one without.

J.A.W.

So, Moose, can you state the names of the drivers - who 'signed off' - on that 'turned turtle' halo egress appraisal?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Moose

J.A.W. wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 05:52
So, Moose, can you state the names of the drivers - who 'signed off' - on that 'turned turtle' halo egress appraisal?
Turns out, not a driver - the drivers have just seen the footage and agree it's better:
Autosport wrote: Mekies points out that marshals are trained to right any upside down car but says the FIA still tested the halo in upside-down scenarios.

It conducted a simple test with a dummy chassis, with its own safety expert Andy Mellor strapped in.

When the chassis was tipped upside down, the halo kept the front of the chassis higher off the ground than it would normally be and Mellor had no trouble getting himself out. Drivers have been shown a video of that test.

"It is actually preserving a better space for drivers," says Mekies, "because the car is resting on the front part of the halo, offering more space than they currently have compared to the ground.

"It's basically raising up the car compared to where it would be without it."

NathanOlder

:lol:

Moose and Jolle have shares in the halo for sure. Its like that guy trying to sell you something you don't want. No matter what you ask him he has an answer for it that doesn't actually answer your question.

The upside down part is no way answered as discussed at length in this thread. Dummy Car with no ,wings , wheels , PU ect, hard floor very slowly rolled over by hand ect ect

I will wait until I see it happen at the track before I beleive so BS video.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

J.A.W.

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 07:22
:lol:

Moose and Jolle have shares in the halo for sure. Its like that guy trying to sell you something you don't want. No matter what you ask him he has an answer for it that doesn't actually answer your question.

The upside down part is no way answered as discussed at length in this thread. Dummy Car with no ,wings , wheels , PU ect, hard floor very slowly rolled over by hand ect ect

I will wait until I see it happen at the track before I beleive so BS video.

Sure seems that way N-O, seeing as Moose yet again boldly claims "drivers" support the halo, but cannot
provide a single name, let alone a quorum/majority of drivers - going on the record - to back his contention.

strad

Drivers may like the concept of more safety but that doesn't mean they like the implementation. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

johnny comelately

Very good example of the canopy option at Melbourne (on the FA18 :wink: )

J.A.W.

Quote from Webber, just now, on Aussie TV, re: halo topic, & how he 'likes' it..

"Hate it", & "...so do the drivers".

strad

I caught that as well. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FrukostScones

actually I am shocked how fast I got used to it. And sometimes I even like it for its "rawness" rollcagey look. :o
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

adrianjordan

I think if they banned the little aero add ons and mandated that any fairing must fully enclose the halo then the T cam footage would be better (I found all the little aero bits unsightly).

On the C4 coverage they mentioned that Ross Brawn confirmed they were looking into putting a camera in the halo.

Now imagine if they could put one at (effectively) driver eye level...that WOULD be pretty cool!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

J.A.W.

Yeah, coz why would the driver need to see anything ahead of him, anyhow? L.o.l...

& I see that Formula E has now been lumbered with the halo bandwagon too..

As if those slow 'electric egg-beaters' really warranted having any more needless weight - lumped aboard.

adrianjordan

J.A.W. wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 10:26
Yeah, coz why would the driver need to see anything ahead of him, anyhow? L.o.l...

& I see that Formula E has now been lumbered with the halo bandwagon too..

As if those slow 'electric egg-beaters' really warranted having any more needless weight - lumped aboard.
Well there's already a ruddy great pillar there. I'm simply suggesting a camera in it. Wouldn't have to be any bigger than the pillar currently is.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️