HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
J.A.W.

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Yeah, ok, but it might be better yet, if it could also transmit a 'virtual view' to the driver's helmet visor,
& eliminate the blindspot.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Shrieker

Still bothered with the halo ? I think am not. If I was, it was certainly overshadowed by the racing and tension this last race. We might see a trend where people not giving much of a fook if the racing is goood, and whinge about the halo when the racing's pooor.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Manoah2u

i don't even really notice the halo that much tbh. i don't think the helmet needs some virtual nonsense to 'filter' it out, but i do think there's lost potential with using the V shape of the halo to make use of things now located at the steering wheel or stuff like that - like for example the rev lights, but it might be located too high. instead, additional information can be shown on a small sized screen like position, time, gear, laps left to, distance or time between driver in front or behind or target driver, target times, green flag, yellow flag, laps, etc. tire temps or pressure would be another benefit i'd say.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 18:20
i don't even really notice the halo that much tbh. i don't think the helmet needs some virtual nonsense to 'filter' it out, but i do think there's lost potential with using the V shape of the halo to make use of things now located at the steering wheel or stuff like that - like for example the rev lights, but it might be located too high. instead, additional information can be shown on a small sized screen like position, time, gear, laps left to, distance or time between driver in front or behind or target driver, target times, green flag, yellow flag, laps, etc. tire temps or pressure would be another benefit i'd say.
I believe the rev lights on the dash are more or less a backup for the beep they have in their ear and they only use the screen when they have a relative pause on a straight. To keep the HALO on the inside so clean a possible helps with keeping the focal point far beyond it so you won't see it at all.

Manoah2u

good point!
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Pramesi

As much as I understand the use of the halo and how important it is for a driver's head to be protected, I see that many people are concerned mainly for its looks (despite how some argue about it being "less safe"). Personally, I've learned to ignore the halo, but has anyone heard anything from the FIA regarding the development of head protection, i.e. moving towards something both aesthetically pleasing as well as providing head protection while giving easy access for drivers to come out?

zac510

I also barely noticed it during the race telecast (although I don't have a modern, enormous television). I do notice it a bit more in close-up photographs, however.

I'm looking forward to the FIA outlawing the fairings and tidying up the top of the airbox (ie remove T-cam) - it would make the HALO'd car look a bit cleaner. See the new Formula E's cockpit and HALO area for how the smaller airbox makes the cockpit area look cleaner.

adrianjordan

Pramesi wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 03:47
As much as I understand the use of the halo and how important it is for a driver's head to be protected, I see that many people are concerned mainly for its looks (despite how some argue about it being "less safe"). Personally, I've learned to ignore the halo, but has anyone heard anything from the FIA regarding the development of head protection, i.e. moving towards something both aesthetically pleasing as well as providing head protection while giving easy access for drivers to come out?
Jean Todt has said that they'd be open to looking at other options if they're proven to be as effective.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

adrianjordan wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 12:51
Pramesi wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 03:47
Jean Todt has said that they'd be open to looking at other options if they're proven to be as effective.
there are various renderings of halos with improved looks. one of them is this one :

has been posted here several times but is a great example of how much better it could look,
IF the device itself in such a shape/design is able to achieve the same goals or atleast
within the requirement 'window'.

my personal favourite is this one

just compare it with the evolution of the headrest"

there's plenty of room for improvement, and i'm sure it'll improve throughout the years. it bothers me a lot less than expected and the drivers are humongeously better protected.

Manoah2u

btw, it never looks like a 'looker' - in it's current shape though - but somehow it doesn't look so bothersome in older gen f1 cars than today's.

Rodak

Watching the race last week I saw that Haas has a graphic with the drivers name and number on the halo, seen during in-car camera shots. I really liked this, it made the car/driver easy to identify without looking for an on screen graphic. I would suggest the FIA make a driver identification graphic mandatory on the halo for in-car shots; it was helpful not to just be seeing some flat black halo. I'm sure some of you can instantly identify the driver by helmet design, but not me. The drivers are pretty much hidden now; anything to help identify who we are watching is useful IMHO. Plus, it wouldn't actually cost anything.

zac510

Manoah2u wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 18:17
btw, it never looks like a 'looker' - in it's current shape though - but somehow it doesn't look so bothersome in older gen f1 cars than today's.
That HALO looks far too thin to be the same as the ones on the current cars?
If they were all that thin the visual impact would be much less.

johnny comelately

johnny comelately wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 10:18
The halo effect — the tendency to judge people on the basis of their characteristics (such as ethnicity, age, religion etc) or past events unrelated to the situation at hand :wink:
Tough room, this one :wink:

Manoah2u

johnny comelately wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 10:47
johnny comelately wrote:
The halo effect — the tendency to judge people on the basis of their characteristics (such as ethnicity, age, religion etc) or past events unrelated to the situation at hand :wink:
geesh, can you just cut it out?

J.A.W.

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 11:55
johnny comelately wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 10:47
johnny comelately wrote:
geesh, can you just cut it out?
Yeah so M-2, aint that exactly what most of the drivers are saying - about the halo..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).