HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Daliracing

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Rodak wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 23:16
Watching the race last week I saw that Haas has a graphic with the drivers name and number on the halo, seen during in-car camera shots. I really liked this, it made the car/driver easy to identify without looking for an on screen graphic. I would suggest the FIA make a driver identification graphic mandatory on the halo for in-car shots; it was helpful not to just be seeing some flat black halo. I'm sure some of you can instantly identify the driver by helmet design, but not me. The drivers are pretty much hidden now; anything to help identify who we are watching is useful IMHO. Plus, it wouldn't actually cost anything.
Was thinking the same. Force india did the same.

strad

I am with Nigel Mansell on the HALO.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

MtthsMlw

Just read that the teams are now allowed to mount the mirrors on to the HALO under certain circumstances.
Source (german)

snowy

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 17:19
Just read that the teams are now allowed to mount the mirrors on to the HALO under certain circumstances.
Source (german)
I've been looking at this topic on Autosport https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13557 ... lo-mirrors

My first thought was that mounting something on the Halo will concentrate forces. Then I thought were a wheel to hit that mirror it would become a very well pre-targeted missile, aimed directly at the drivers head!

ian_s

snowy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 12:33
My first thought was that mounting something on the Halo will concentrate forces. Then I thought were a wheel to hit that mirror it would become a very well pre-targeted missile, aimed directly at the drivers head!
the mirrors have to fit in the same regulation box as before, so what difference does it make if they are mounted from above or below?

snowy

ian_s wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 12:57
snowy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 12:33
the mirrors have to fit in the same regulation box as before, so what difference does it make if they are mounted from above or below?
It occurred to me that a tyre hitting an upright mounted mirror would have a downward trajectory, resulting in chest or shoulder injury... that's not good is it? And the suspended mirror be more inclined to have upward rotation and be aiming higher. Perhaps they should consider cameras and a screen in the cockpit...

I suppose the point I am trying to make is that the Halo underwent extensive testing and a Halo with two mirrors on it hasn't.

ian_s

snowy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 13:44
It occurred to me that a tyre hitting an upright mounted mirror would have a downward trajectory, resulting in chest or shoulder injury... that's not good is it? And the suspended mirror be more inclined to have upward rotation and be aiming higher. Perhaps they should consider cameras and a screen in the cockpit...

I suppose the point I am trying to make is that the Halo underwent extensive testing and a Halo with two mirrors on it hasn't.
i'm not sure whats worse, projectile hitting shoulder/chest, or projectile hitting the helmet. both are not good!

and i'm with you on the untested part, but taking that further was the halo tested on a real car? with mirrors of any kind?

I like the idea of cameras though, panoramic widescreen across the inside of the halo! 180 degree view from the T cam

Manoah2u

if i'm correct in my assumption helmets have been sufficiently reinforced after massa's incident that the same carbon-copy incident of massa would not have the same result as the object wouldn't penetrate the helmet as much - or at all - like with Felipe, then i'm rather confident a mirror is of no concern, at all.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FrukostScones

unnecessary, FIA just trying to make the thing more "useful".
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zac510

Woud the mirror and its housing shatter into carbon pieces when struck by a wheel?

Anyway I am disappointed with this decision because it's going to look aesthetically terrible. I think the primary complaint about the HALO is the aesthetics and how cluttered the cockpit area now looks with HALO, aero shrouds, shoulder high protection, tall airbox with T-cam. This won't help the cluttered appearance.

FW17

Are the Halos used in F1 and FE same?

Somehow the FE looks slimmer and we get a better view of the driver

zac510

The FE one looks slimmer because it doesn't have the aerodynamic addons, and the roll hoop is smaller (because it doesn't have an airbox, T-cam, etc).

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 28 Apr 2018, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NathanOlder

I guess this appeals to the kids who play ridge racer or need for speed ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

JonoNic

NathanOlder wrote:I guess this appeals to the kids who play ridge racer or need for speed ?
All they need now is a rotating map graphics.

Always find the gap then use it.