HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
roon

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

strad

Even Brundle said that yes the HALO got hit but with Charles might not have been hit even without it. WHere it was hit was well forward of the driver.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

santos

strad wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 01:00
Even Brundle said that yes the HALO got hit but with Charles might not have been hit even without it. WHere it was hit was well forward of the driver.
Thankfully, we will never know if he would or not been hit. The HALO was there, and it did the job.

mycadcae

safe...to head
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

mycadcae

F1 halo: Charles Leclerc 'could have been saved' by protection at Belgian GP

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45316834

Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

doji desu

I don't like the halo appearance but this shot would suggest a worse result without it.

henry

This seems like a useful viewpoint to evaluate the likihood of the McLaren striking Leclerc.

The relative movement at the beginning of this sequence is McLaren towards Leclerc.

It looks like it is the Halo that kicks the McLaren up and away from further contact.

Not conclusive but it does raise the probability that the Halo reduced Leclerc’s risk considerably.

Picked this image up from @TennisUK on Autosport.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Jolle

henry wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 10:22
This seems like a useful viewpoint to evaluate the likihood of the McLaren striking Leclerc.

https://prettygoodwebhost.com/a/fff.gif

The relative movement at the beginning of this sequence is McLaren towards Leclerc.

It looks like it is the Halo that kicks the McLaren up and away from further contact.

Not conclusive but it does raise the probability that the Halo reduced Leclerc’s risk considerably.

Picked this image up from @TennisUK on Autosport.
The HALO broke the front suspension of Alonso's car, just next to Leclerc's head. I assume wishbones are stronger then vertebra.

Alonso's car was spinning and the McLaren was almost at the same speed as the Sauber at the moment. Basically his wheel came toward his head.

DVB

The halo saved LeClerc from further injuries. Anyone who thinks different should watch the footage where the Mclaren bounce's off the halo. If the halo wouldn't have been there, the Mclaren would have bounced off LeClerc his head.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

Just_a_fan

Alonso's car was rotating about a vertical axis such that his front right wheel was coming back, relatively, towards Leclerc's head. See the front right tyre's location here:

Witness mark on halo and top of tub. Without the halo, it's more than likely that the tyre would have gone across the top of the cockpit. Would it have hit the helmet? Who knows. But with the halo there it absolutely didn't hit his helmet. That chalks up one for the halo in my opinion.

Interestingly, Alonso's car cleared Leclerc's roll hoop - the camera is in place and intact (on board video continued after the impact.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ivanlesk

Speed to 0.25

Sieper

So the Halo killed Ricciardo's race, as otherwise Alo's car wouldn't have been lifted as high (and far) that it would have touched his rear wing. On second thought, Alo seems to have already been slammed in to Ric's rear wing before he hits Leclerc's halo.

I think the Halo is not so much that needed when a car is sliding over you from the back, the airbox/top intake will lift the car away from your head in that case anyway, but imagine that for some reason Leclerc would have already been turned 180 degrees (and looking into oncoming traffic) such things can happen In a start melee, and then a car comes flying in like Alo's hit car, then the Halo for sure will direct the incoming car away from your head. That seems like the worst case scenario (sideways can also be dangerous, as this specific accident partially was already).

In any case, now that it has been engineered we can never race without it anymore (liability suits prospect) and it makes it more safe, which is a good thing. It is sad we can hardly (Hartley?) see the helmet anymore but that is just something we will have to live with.

Tim.Wright

From Hartley's onboard it definately looks like the tyre that hit the halo was moving backwards towards Charles helmet due to the spinning motion of Fernando's car.
Not the engineer at Force India

Just_a_fan

Exactly so. The halo looks to have prevented the tyre impacting the helmet. Of course we have no way of knowing whether an impact would have been merely uncomfortable or fatal. Nice thing is we can argue about it but no one is dead - see the thread after Bianchi's death for example.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ESPImperium

I have to say this, i was against the Halo at first, then i grew to accept it was coming, then over the 12 races till Spa grew to ignore it and grew to know it was going to be there.

Now I am glad to say I am glad to know it has saved two lives this year, one in F1 in Le Clerc and one in F2 in Fukuzumi (i think) in Spain.

Whilst I agree with the Purists its ugly, however it is a life saver now. Lets learn to get used to it, like the ultra wide front wings of 09.... Wait, we are getting those again next year!!!