HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Morteza

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Leclerc's onboard from the 360-degree camera
https://twitter.com/F1/status/1034015162640945158?s=19
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

nmoleiro

Amazing!... if watch the crash frame by frame you can see the front wheel was going to hit him head on! We must agree that pretty or not, halo did its job.

In my opinion function should always precede aesthetics.

strad

Amazing!... if watch the crash frame by frame you can see the front wheel was going to hit him head on
How can you get that from this video?
Alonso's car did not damage the air intake/roll hoop or knock the camera off.
There wasn't any mark on the roll hoop. It's clear to me that his car cleared the top of LeClerc's helmet.
It obviously helped deflect the tire from the witness marks on the HALO though albeit a good two foot in front of his head..
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

vikram_d

Watch in slow motion. 5 second mark. Alonso's front right wheel would have smacked Leclerc in the face as it spun around had the halo not been there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC6ZcYfH7FQ

ivanlesk

strad wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 00:41
Amazing!... if watch the crash frame by frame you can see the front wheel was going to hit him head on
There wasn't any mark on the roll hoop. It's clear to me that his car cleared the top of LeClerc's helmet.
It obviously helped deflect the tire from the witness marks on the HALO though albeit a good two foot in front of his head..
have you even watched videos form different angles, expecially form TR car?

j2004p

ivanlesk wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 09:45
strad wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 00:41
I agree, the shot from Hartley's car appears to show that the rotation of Alonso's car would (likely) have put the front wheel somewhere very close to (if not on top of) LeClerc's head. The Halo deflected it to an extent that Alonso's car came off with less rotation almost perpendicular to LeClerc's car.

ecapox

Why are we still arguing this? As indicated by the marks on the Halo, it would have either been death or a VERY close call. I personally don't care which one it would have been. Because the Halo was on the car, the argument is null and void.

It worked. Period.

strad

I have watched half a dozen videos and a frame by frame.
Is it good we have the HALO? Probably. But in this case I don't "think it saved Leclerc's life.
I "think" many people are not taking depth perception into account when looking at these videos.
Once again we have a difference of opinion. I'm allowed one as are you, each of you.
I'm not trying to force mine on you so why do you try to force yours?
If you want to think it saved Leclerc's life that's fine, you are entitled to that.
There are probably many areas where my opinion and yours would differ. That's life.
Last edited by strad on 29 Aug 2018, 20:13, edited 2 times in total.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ecapox

Do we not agree that it was a good thing that the Halo was on the vehicle?

nmoleiro

strad wrote:
I never said it saved it’s life, I just said it did it’s job... off course your free to your opinion.

I think the pic speaks for it self

Best regards.

strad

quote Martin Brundle:
"""Martin Brundle quote from his sky sports column after the Spa 2018 race on the halo – “I’ve twice worn an F1 car on my head flying in from behind courtesy of Patrick Tambay at Monaco in 1986, and Jos Verstappen at Interlagos in 1994, and so I have some first-hand experience of this. Looking at the footage and stills I’m not convinced that the Halo saved Charles Leclerc’s life but it sure didn’t do any harm, and may have saved serious injury if the angles were slightly different. Pre-halo the rollover bar and cockpit sides have done a pretty good job too in these circumstances ”"
I feel the same.
Sir Stirling Moss

NathanOlder

Im with Brundle on this one, and strad.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

jjn9128

strad wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 22:59
quote Martin Brundle:
"""Martin Brundle quote from his sky sports column after the Spa 2018 race on the halo – “I’ve twice worn an F1 car on my head flying in from behind courtesy of Patrick Tambay at Monaco in 1986, and Jos Verstappen at Interlagos in 1994, and so I have some first-hand experience of this. Looking at the footage and stills I’m not convinced that the Halo saved Charles Leclerc’s life but it sure didn’t do any harm, and may have saved serious injury if the angles were slightly different. Pre-halo the rollover bar and cockpit sides have done a pretty good job too in these circumstances ”"
I feel the same.
I find it very interesting that you left out the end of that particular quote.
Just as when we lost Jules Bianchi I would have been as distraught as anybody if we lost Charles, so I guess I'm going to have to change my mind on the halo.
Source: http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... belgian-gp
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

strad

Just as when we lost Jules Bianchi I would have been as distraught as anybody if we lost Charles, so I guess I'm going to have to change my mind on the halo
That wasn't included in the story I read.
I have said elsewhere it, the HALO, is probably going to save somebody, sometime but I sure don't think it did this time.
Sir Stirling Moss

nmoleiro

Well I never said it saved his life, I said it did it’s job. Which I think it is to deflect an object from hitting the drivers head/helmet.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 15873?s=20

How about that footage?... more convincing?