HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RS200E

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

djos

RS200E wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 00:20
Has anyone signed the petition?

https://www.change.org/p/federation-int ... er_receipt
I have.
"In downforce we trust"

RS200E

Me too. We allowed to make a thread about the petition?

djos

RS200E wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 01:16
Why not discuss it here?
"In downforce we trust"

RS200E

djos wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 01:44
RS200E wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 01:16
Why not discuss it here?
It'll get lost. Made a thread.

djos

imo Halo would have actually been more dangerous than nothing in Massa's heave spring incident as it risks deflecting the missile down into the the drivers chest potentially causing much more serious injuries or even a fatality.

The halo would not have saved Bianchi either.

and the halo would not have saved Surtees either as the wheel literally landed on top of his head (coming from the side) causing extensive brain injuries.

The shield style design is the only acceptable option from an aesthetic pov and realistic safety pov. It would have prevented Massa's injuries and would have saved Senna's life too as he died from being struck in the head by a piece of his own suspension iirc.

You can't make F1 100% safe as unfortunately freak incidents do happen, but at least the shield would increase safety and look good.
Last edited by djos on 22 Jul 2017, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

awizul

RS200E wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 00:20
Has anyone signed the petition?

https://www.change.org/p/federation-int ... er_receipt
Done [-o<

FW17

I previously had mentioned a polycarbonate piece between cockpit and halo. I think they can have an alternative.

Carbon strings spanning vertically 1/2 inch apart, the thickness of the string I going to be quiet minimal.

notsofast

Well, this being a technical forum, would it be possible to make the halo strong enough so that the front vertical beam isn't needed? In other words, a halo that is supported from behind the driver's head only?

Jolle

notsofast wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 14:06
Well, this being a technical forum, would it be possible to make the halo strong enough so that the front vertical beam isn't needed? In other words, a halo that is supported from behind the driver's head only?
It could be very strong, just never as strong as with a pillar. The problem with just an ring, you have no deflection when something gets stuck in there, like a FW or a piece of barrier. You would turn it in a guillotine basicly. The front pillar is essential.

Just_a_fan

It seems that the teams will be able to "trick up" the halo. They're allowed to add fairings to the hoop and these can be up to 30mm either side of the hoop itself. They're not allowed to do anything to the strut. This is obviously sensible in order to maintain visibility.

Will we see the hoop as downforce device or just a flow conditioner? It could potentially be quite powerful in the latter role.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

Pfff, i still like my design better from a purely aestetical point of view.... :(
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Manoah2u

Jolle wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 14:29
notsofast wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 14:06
It could be very strong, just never as strong as with a pillar. The problem with just an ring, you have no deflection when something gets stuck in there, like a FW or a piece of barrier. You would turn it in a guillotine basicly. The front pillar is essential.
jeesh talk about exxegeration. Image how many drivers have been decapaticed through a complete frigging front wing slamming into them? it's not essential, we've been driving FOREVER without. #-o #-o :roll: :roll:

also, drivers wear a HELMET. even IF there was no vertical beam, AND for some INSANE reason [that NEVER happened] a wing [INTACT!] flies off into it's direction, AND hit the face of the driver, it's still PROTECTED by a HELMET, AND, the chin, thus the head, is BELOW the top of the tub. :roll:

fabricating the most theoretically dangerous stuff is not science.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

morefirejules08

I can't help but think the halo would look much better if the centre support started where the nose kinks down and followed that line and the top hoop finished further up, just below the engine air intake.
Although the width of the halo would still look cumbersome I think from the side it would flow with the lines of the car more.

Redragon

I guess the regulations would be clear, otherwise can be another area to develop aero as the T wing this year.
becoming even uglier