Spa - The Slope - Tour De France

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JAA17

Spa - The Slope - Tour De France

Hi, My name is Jon. I have been following F1 for years (and Indy when I can). I have been lurking here on this forum and many others, but never could think of anything to say.

At last I think I have something interesting to add.

Did anyone see the coverage of the Tour De France cycling this year? They went around the Spa circuit. It was amazing seeing them on pedal bikes going around a circuit that I am sure is very familiar to all of us here.

BUT it was soooo different.

When you see the camera angles in F1 you realise there is a bit of a slope around the Eau Rouge bit, but wow you really get a sense of it when you watched the Tour de France footage.

Here is a link on youtube. (Hope it is ok to post it).

The really good bit is around 50 seconds:

www . youtube . com/watch?v=hqBdDxx3rIA

They had a motor cyclist in front of the pack filming them as they climbed the hill. From this perspective looking back, and from the higher vantage point of a guy sitting on a motor bike, you really got a sense of how really steep that slope is. It really took your breath away.

I also found it really unnerving seeing all those people right at the edge of a track you typically associate with 200kph F1 cars. It is the craziest thing I have seen in years.

So my question is this. There are other circuits like Brazil who seem to have a bit of a slope going on and off of the start/finish straight. What effect does this have on the car? Do the teams do anything special in the car setup for these circuits to compensate for these really steep bits?
[Alonso Fan]

ChrisDanger

Re: Spa - The Slope - Tour De France

The video from the above post:

bdr529

ChrisDanger wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 20:43
The video from the above post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBdDxx3rIA&dummy=1
OK cyclist, hands up, Who didn't take Eau Rouge flat

Cold Fussion

A big component of this comes from filming a close subject with a wide angle lens, wheres in F1 you typically have a far away subject filmed with a telephoto lens (and one that is potentially very long), which very much compresses the space. If you look for rear facing onboard cameras you'll get a similar view of eau rouge and raidillon.

As a cyclist it must be quite an interesting feeling to hit such a steep wall like eau rouge traveling close to 100 km/h.

JAA17

Cold Fussion wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 11:39
A big component of this comes from filming a close subject with a wide angle lens, wheres in F1 you typically have a far away subject filmed with a telephoto lens (and one that is potentially very long), which very much compresses the space. If you look for rear facing onboard cameras you'll get a similar view of eau rouge and raidillon.

As a cyclist it must be quite an interesting feeling to hit such a steep wall like eau rouge traveling close to 100 km/h.
Interesting stuff. Now I am hoping they show a lot of rear facing cameras in the eau rouge and raidillon section this weekend.
[Alonso Fan]

Jolle

https://youtu.be/HQBC74JC4gU

Still one of the best eau rouge shots. Kimi 2005

JAA17

Jolle wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 18:31
https://youtu.be/HQBC74JC4gU

Still one of the best eau rouge shots. Kimi 2005
Amazing video. Thanks.
[Alonso Fan]

marmer

would quit like to see a cycling championship run along side f1 at the tracks as a little side event just something more for the fans without the need for support pit lanes etc