New starting format

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lupacexi
lupacexi

New starting format

New idea for a starting grid format.
Award points for qualifying, for example the pole sitter gets 10-15 points, P2 gets 8-10 points etc.
On the starting grid, P1 starts on the 10 position, P2 starts on the 9 position, P3 on 8th etc.
Enough points have to be awarded in qualifying to motivate the drivers to go as fast as possible.
With this format, the passing will be incredible.

wesley123
wesley123

Re: New starting format

1. Drivers already go as quick as possible, rotating grid positions will actually be counter productive as you need to qualify 10th to start on pole.
2. There wont be much more overtaking, as, just like you saw in Monza, the quickest cars have no problem getting back to the front.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jolle
Jolle

those types of rules are nice for show racing like the A1GP was. F1 is about who is fastest on Sunday. Punishment or a mini race (what qualifying is then) for going faster is unlogical.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

lupacexi wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 05:35
New idea for a starting grid format.
Award points for qualifying, for example the pole sitter gets 10-15 points, P2 gets 8-10 points etc.
On the starting grid, P1 starts on the 10 position, P2 starts on the 9 position, P3 on 8th etc.
Enough points have to be awarded in qualifying to motivate the drivers to go as fast as possible.
With this format, the passing will be incredible.
stop inventing a fix for a problem that does not exist.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zac510
zac510

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 08:55

stop inventing a fix for a problem that does not exist.
+1! =D>

Ennis
Ennis

I think this creates more problems, where there's not a problem to solve.

Something I would like to see, which will annoy the purists - final race weekend to have 2 races (Qualify on Friday, Race 1 on Saturday, Race 2 on Sunday). Race 2 will be a reverse grid based on Race 1 finishing positions.

Phil

I fail to see how that would work on a track like Monaco.

I think most solutions here are targetting more overtakes, more entertainment right?

Instead of shuffling the grid, why not just make overtaking easier by making the cars less aero dependant?

The problem is on one hand, you want a Formula that encourages team performance and variety (vs. spec series), you want it to be the pinnacle of motorsport (faster and faster) and at the same time more entertainment.

Its just not possible. There will always be some trade off.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

zac510
zac510

When the poster of these miracle ideas doesn't list one single negative point of his idea, you can tell they haven't thought it through at all. Instead of seeing reality they only see what they can want to believe; more overtaking.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I understand the original poster's position.

When there isn't any rain, or engine penalties (more artificiality people will say), etc... grids will largely be determined by pure performance. Fastest in the front, slowest in the back. The fastest - who already hold an advantage by being the fastest - gain an additional advantage; the slowest are penalised doubly, especially when taking field spread into account.

Starts in the modern era have become very orderly, very processional, not as much fluctuation in order.

Dynamics within races appear to largely have been tamed. I don't see evidence to suggest some cars perform better on light fuel loads than others, or vica versa, and tyres are not significant performance differentiators either (anymore). Those that are fast to begin with will be fast throughout.

Added to this, its never been easier for a faster car to clear a slower vehicle. In the event a slower car succeeds in finding itself in front of a faster vehicle, track position has been significantly undermined with the advent of DRS.

In addition, blue flags only work in favour of cars at the front of the field. Net effect: present rules and circumstances reinforce the performance of the fastest cars.

If you really want to promote overtaking, and good racing, the first step would be to do away with the entirely artificial privileges that have already been introduced. This would generally mean no DRS and, especially, no blue flags.

While both of these decisions would result in fewer overtakes, every overtake would be legitimate, we'd have more close racing, and backmarkers wouldn't be doubly and triply penalised by having to constantly move out of the way.

flynfrog

Id rather see 3-2-3 grids back

marmer
marmer

Just remove aero from the cars to a level like gp3 but allow unlimited mechanical grip development. Overtaking would be fine

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

NathanOlder

How about each track having to build a new starting grid off at the side so all 20 cars can start side by side. With qualifying only there to determine who starts on the inside. Wow that would be carnage.

I think what id really like to see is maybe at the end of the year is all the F1 boys put into identical cars (Formula 2 for an example) for a weekend to compete for a special trophy. Have all Fp1 - Fp3 plus qualy and a race. Each driver can take 5 engineers to set thier cars up.

Would be the best way for some of the back markers to show their skills. Imagine if Palmer finshed in the top 10! Imagine if Vandoorne won!! Both Champions in a GP2 (F2) car.
Id pay a box office subscription to see that for sure!!!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

flynfrog

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 23:40
How about each track having to build a new starting grid off at the side so all 20 cars can start side by side. With qualifying only there to determine who starts on the inside. Wow that would be carnage.

NathanOlder

Yeah thats it!! Wouldnt that make a great start to a race. Maybe try it just once.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zac510
zac510

marmer wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 18:51
Just remove aero from the cars to a level like gp3 but allow unlimited mechanical grip development. Overtaking would be fine

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Can you not think of a single negative thing about your idea?