Proximity Warning

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DiogoBrand

Re: Proximity Warning

Perhaps just stick some of these on Vettel's car.

If he's stupid enough not to realize that not leaving space to the left would cost him the championship, perhaps these would help.

Shrieker

Prevented by auto spotter / proximity warning:

Prevented 1
My comments: Poor driving from Alonso, BUT it's the start and he can't pay attention to everything. Small beep in the left rear and he stops moving to the left. No contact.

Prevented 2
My Comments: Personally I think Button knew Hamilton was there, and was just being a c*nt. But let's give him the benefit of doubt (he had claimed that he could see nothing out of the mirrors after all, because of the spray); "left side" warning, he stops moving to the left. No contact.

Prevented 3
My Comments: Beep and increasing tone in right ear. He stops moving to the right. The race is not f@cked. But taking into account how Grosjean was back then, probably not :-) You can't solve everything with technology, after all.

In all of the above, the drivers had well over a second to react to an audible warning. In the case of Vet/Max/Kimi, and probably But/Ham, it was physically impossible for the drivers to tell in what kind of a situation exactly they were in. Not unless they have x ray vision like superman and we don't know about it.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Phil

Shrieker wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 21:35
Tim.Wright wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 20:51
why would you want to introduce yet another active system that replaces a component of driver skill?
I don't want to sound smug (am not) or sh!t, but I think I've written it two times already in this thread. It was physically impossible for the drivers on either side of Max Verstappen to see that there was another car on the far side. Their view was blocked by Max's car...
The issue here is rule of engagement. Vettel took a risk by trying to defend his lead from a rather weak getaway. Sometimes it pays out, sometimes it's futile and doesnt. This case, it didnt.

It's all about gambling risk vs reward. If you want to see a driver who specializes in risk? Watch Verstappen. Neither attempt is right or wrong and is what make certain drivers who they are.

By proposing fancy systems to overcome that, you are simply trying to reduce risk, which will therefore also reduce potential reward.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

i70q7m7ghw

Spacial awareness and racing experience are key racing driver skills, I don't understand why you would want to take that away with such a silly driver aid. You are basically talking about adding parking sensors to formula cars.

Yes maybe it was impossible to see Verstappen's car, but it wasn't impossible to anticipate that he might make a fiery start and cause some sort of incident, he's done it before and his team mate even joked it would happen. Alonso/Hamilton both expected something might happen which is why they took the far outside line. Alonso in particular has always had a good sense for the start and you commonly see him benefit from taking the approach that the inexperience drivers will probably tangle and it's actually quicker to go wide and drive around all of them.

This really is a non-issue, boo hoo some drivers crashed, it wasn't the first time and it won't be the last time.

Shrieker

Diesel wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 20:15

This really is a non-issue, boo hoo some drivers crashed, it wasn't the first time and it won't be the last time.
Aand if you get a race like Indy 2005 because of it ? We don't have spare cars anymore. It would be a fiasco. F1 cars already carry transponders for jump start detection. You just need to add a few more to prevent avoidable crashes.

And no, my proposal is not a goddamn parking sensor. A parking sensor won't let you know a three wide.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SectorOne

They could have used a spotter. In simracing it is used all the time and helps in situations where you just can´t possibly see more then one guy next to you.

Vettel´s guy could have simply said "3-wide" and Vettel would immediately understand and diffuse the situation.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Shrieker

SectorOne wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 09:29
They could have used a spotter. In simracing it is used all the time and helps in situations where you just can´t possibly see more then one guy next to you.

Vettel´s guy could have simply said "3-wide" and Vettel would immediately understand and diffuse the situation.
Yes, that's what I've been trying to explain, in fact that's the exact reason why the thread starts with a link to an iracing video. The only difference with my proposition is that it would eliminate human response time and errors a human response may contain. And that's it; a human spotter without a human. We're in the age of the ai, ffs I can't understand why so many people feel the idea is useless/contrived/complicated/whatever in a technically oriented forum. Maybe they'd like the show to retain some form of 'human' aspect, but I'd rather have the human aspect in the form hard BUT fair racing, and not stemming from crashes that are simply unavoidable as things stand.
-Atatürk