Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who will have the better car in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda?

Poll ended at 20 Dec 2017, 18:59

1. McLaren-Renault
72%
2. STR-Honda
28%

Total votes: 105

ispano6

Re: Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

Then the poll should ask who will finish higher at the end of the 2018 season. Think about it. If Redbull didn't have as many DNFs one of their drivers could have actually been leading the DC and perhaps even Red Bull could have been ahead in the CC. So it is possible to be ahead in car performance and behind in points. If you ask me, STR Hondas 4th place finish in Rd.2 showed me where they are and can be if they can keep up with their rivals development and avoid incidents that prevent them from scoring in the points.

Sure, some will say that 4th was thanks to retirements but that goes the same for most of McLaren's points.

zeph
zeph

I think you are overthinking this, dude.

Big Tea

TBH when I voted I did not know how Hartley was going to (under) perform.

The Poll should probably have been " Who will finish the season with most points. STR or Alonso. "
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon
roon

Big Tea wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 18:44

The Poll should probably have been " Who will finish the season with most points. STR or Alonso. "
Or, "Gasly or Alonso."

Big Tea

roon wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 19:46
Big Tea wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 18:44

Or, "Gasly or Alonso."
We may as well include all Hartley's points. Just to be fair like. :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

ispano6 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:40
Then the poll should ask who will finish higher at the end of the 2018 season.

And that´s what it does. Or you were assuming it was asking about some arbitrary point mid-season? That would be a weird poll

ispano6 wrote:
Think about it. If Redbull didn't have as many DNFs one of their drivers could have actually been leading the DC and perhaps even Red Bull could have been ahead in the CC. So it is possible to be ahead in car performance and behind in points.

So you think RBR is ahead of Mercedes and Ferrari in perfomance? I don´t, not even for a moment.

ispano6 wrote:
If you ask me, STR Hondas 4th place finish in Rd.2 showed me where they are and can be if they can keep up with their rivals development and avoid incidents that prevent them from scoring in the points.

Sure, some will say that 4th was thanks to retirements but that goes the same for most of McLaren's points.
So one lucky result as best of the rest means STR is there, but the same does not apply to McLaren?

Both teams have been best of the rest (with one car) once this season, STR was 4th because three cars of the big three teams DNF, McLaren was 5th because Max and Bottas had some problems and Alonso managed to finsih in front of them.

At the other 6 GPs of the season McLaren finsihed in front of STR 4 times

I´m not saying this is something to be proud if you´re a McLaren fan, but even with this poor perfomance, they´re still ahead of STR, when past season with interchanged PUs it was the other way around with a much bigger margin for STR.

My bottom line is McLaren is underperforming, but not as much as Honda. For the moment at least.

mrluke
mrluke

Str started last season very strong but they finished it very poorly, they were right at the back of the field. We need to take that into account when looking at this year's performance.

Raleigh
Raleigh

mrluke wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 20:52
Str started last season very strong but they finished it very poorly, they were right at the back of the field. We need to take that into account when looking at this year's performance.
Yes... they suddenly went from middle of the speed trap tables to dead last while also suffering repeated engine failures and complaining Renault was giving them rebuilt components as replacements leading to reduced power and terrible reliability.

Somehow I'm not seeing that happening this year.

techman
techman

TR does not have the budget and neither two good driver, gasly is ok and will get better next year, he has potential but brendon is just too old, i wish him all the best next year but he looks like he is going to be replaced . so its hard for TR to get those points with just one driver

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

techman wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 11:16
TR does not have the budget and neither two good driver, gasly is ok and will get better next year, he has potential but brendon is just too old, i wish him all the best next year but he looks like he is going to be replaced . so its hard for TR to get those points with just one driver
I agree, if both MC and TR had better 2nd drivers they would probably be 4th and 7th.

techman
techman

I agree, if both MC and TR had better 2nd drivers they would probably be 4th and 7th.
vandorne is a way bette driver than hartley. wish had vandorne in TR instead of hartley.

NathanOlder

techman wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 14:14
vandorne is a way bette driver than hartley. wish had vandorne in TR instead of hartley.
I agree, Stoffel is a very talented guy. He's just had plenty of bad luck.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Andres125sx

Sorry to those 29 votes for STR, but reality is Honda powered cars finished second to last, exactly the same to past season when they were powering McLaren :roll:

OTOH, in 2017 STR-Renault finished 7th, while McLaren-Renault finished 6th only thanks to FI name change (should be 7th), so basically with the PU switch both teams switched positions in the WCC too, Honda powered team second to last both seasons, and Renault powered team 7th both seasons (6th but you know the reason)

This basically means both teams perfomances were embarrasing. McLaren, when comparing to the other two Renault powered teams, wich finished 3th and 4th, was pretty poor. But STR perfomance wasn´t stellar exactly, they couldn´t even fight a poor McLaren car with several flaws from the design table.

A season to forget for both teams. And sincerely, Honda still embarrasing theirselves in their 4th season...

HPD

Seriously? Mclaren Honda already finished
Get over

bauc

HPD wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 13:20
Seriously? Mclaren Honda already finished
Get over
Agreed, not this again please!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel