Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who will have the better car in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda?

Poll ended at 20 Dec 2017, 18:59

1. McLaren-Renault
72%
2. STR-Honda
28%

Total votes: 105

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Re: Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

Andres125sx wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 17:10
There are 29 members wich should be applauded by their optimism and confidence in Honda, but reality told us today Honda is that bad

Wich also means McLaren chassis maybe not the best in the grid as some said, but it´s good for sure and it´s Honda who has been finally exposed
While I have very little faith in Honda, this was one but one event. I mean, I believe you are right, but still too early to conclude anything yet.

Andres125sx

I´d usually think the same, Melbourne is Melbourne, but when one Honda broke down, and the second was dead last, and the only car to be lapped.... sincerely, no need to confirm anything I think

To me yesterday was the confirmation Honda main problem probably is fuel consumption. In qualifying their pace is not that poor, but in race trim they need to save fuel so much they become moving chicanes, and it´s been obvious watching both McLaren progress and STR drop

roon
roon

Wonder how those to bars will change shape over the course of the season. Hopefully the OP did not enable revoting. :)

HPD

Maybe we should vote everything again :lol:

techman
techman

str can finish ahead but need a big push from tr and honda. from what we saw from honda, they are rate of developement is huge hopefully tr can push above it weight also and harltly need to score

AJI
AJI

HPD wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 01:42
Maybe we should vote everything again :lol:
Um, yeah. At first i thought this vote was crazy, primarily because of McLaren's might over STR's limited resources, but also because of the Alonso factor vs STR drivers. However.., STR now have a lot more money to play with and Gasly might just be the next big thing!
A truly astonishing performance today, let's hope it's not an outlier...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

What makes you believe Toro Rosso's results are simply because 'they have a lot more money to play with' ?

Yes, Honda did put a good amount of annual investment @ Mclaren. We didn't really saw any result there though, despite all the money. Additionally, it remains rather questionable whether Honda invests just as much into Toro Rosso (atleast this year) as they did with Mclaren.Especially since iirc, Honda was the one paying alonso's paycheck, which makes up a serious amount of money. which, in the end, comes to the point,how much did they really effectively put into Mclaren, and how much do they put into Toro Rosso now?

I personally really am rather doubtfull about how much money is thrown towards TR from Honda.
First of all, the relationship is still relatively 'brand new', and there really can not have been much result yet from that money in regards to how much time it takes and at what time Toro Rosso started developing the 2018 car. Definately way before Honda and TR took the agreement.

Surely a good investment has been put (from both parties offcourse) to implement the new powerplant into the TR chassis, which was designed for a Renault.

And it's not like Toro Rosso has little money anyway - they ARE Red Bull 2.0 in all reality, and have had the benefits of that partnership for quite a while. I believe any 'progress' @ Toro Rosso is not neccesarily due to the money thrown, but rather the combination of the people that are partnered, which do include some intervening of Adrian Newey if neccesary, aswell as having a healthy relationship with Honda - something Mclaren seems to not have been able
to achieve for whatever reason that may be.

So quite frankly, i'm all the more impressed with Toro Rosso - Honda's result in Bahrain. After all , the entire chassis, thus the car itself has NOT been designed for the Honda engine. Both drivers are essentially still very much 'Rookies' in F1, even though hartley had former racing experience (well, more than Gasly that is, anyway),
both have what, 3, 4 F1 gps under their belt last year? And to pair that to the mayhem of last year with Honda, i'm really baffled at TR coming home 4th.

Meanwhile, Mclaren and Alonso are still way ahead (in points, that is), but this was just the 2nd race!
Last edited by Manoah2u on 09 Apr 2018, 19:38, edited 2 times in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zeph
zeph

roon wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 01:17
Wonder how those to bars will change shape over the course of the season. Hopefully the OP did not enable revoting. :)
The poll has been closed for a while now.

Great result for Gasly, STR, and Honda. But it’s only the second race, and Hartley was nowhere.

I still think McLaren has the edge, but no doubt this Honda PU is much better than last year’s.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

BTW didn't Mclaren claim they were going to be able to battle for podiums right now?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

also, just throwing this one in here again :D

diffuser

Distinct Differences between the first race track to the Second. From a high Down force in Albert Park to a medium Down force in Bahrain, neither of which were really "Aero", we turn our attention to a High Down Force track with a twist in China. We'll know more after this weekend as perhaps a pattern will start to form.

techman
techman

I´d usually think the same, Melbourne is Melbourne, but when one Honda broke down, and the second was dead last, and the only car to be lapped.... sincerely, no need to confirm anything I think

To me yesterday was the confirmation Honda main problem probably is fuel consumption. In qualifying their pace is not that poor, but in race trim they need to save fuel so much they become moving chicanes, and it´s been obvious watching both McLaren progress and STR drop
funny it was alonso who had to back off so much just to save fuel in the end and finish close to vettel . looks at the comments both hulk and sainz said about how much fuel saving they had to do in the race and it was a difficult race for them. i would be suprised if TR beat mclaren. bigger budget than TR and better overall drivers. but still mclaren cant finish or qualy close to redbull and even worse TR

zac510
zac510

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 19:41
also, just throwing this one in here again :D
He looks like his dog died!
But of course I wish McLaren back to success, as much as I am also enjoying Honda's recent success.

PlatinumZealot

The McLaren is only 0.2 seconds faster in the hands of Alonso. Subtract six tenths and then you see the true speed of the McLaren!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AJI
AJI

Perhaps this thread needs a bump, because what was once an absurd comparison is quickly becoming valid...