Bodywork regulation changes from WMSC meeting 21/09/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

Bodywork regulation changes from WMSC meeting 21/09/2017

There was a WMSC meeting today, and the results have been published online.
These include a number of interesting for fairly complex bodywork regulations changes.

It's difficult to understand without the drawings, so I'll have you all look into the rules yourselves:
https://www.fia.com/file/61680/download ... n=4gFBsnlf

My thoughts:
3.3.2 seems to prevent some creative designs on front wing supports
3.6.5 bans the monkey seat

AMG.Tzan

Re: Bodywork regulation changes from WMSC meeting 21/09/2017

So did they ban shark fins also?? Because last week they said they'll keep them on sponsorship grounds but from the drawings it seems they have banned them!

Edit: Hmm so reading them a bit more carefully and specifically the 3.5.1a section, it seems they really have banned them!! I'm so happy :D :D :D
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Steven
Owner

Indeed, 3.5.1c seems to ban the shark fin, as it says no bodywork can be present in the area above the diagonal line that is now one of the boundary lines of the area where bodywork MUST be present when seen from the side, as defined in 3.5.1a.

That's a pity, as it also means that the regulations DEFINE the exact dimensions of the engine cover when seen from the side.

krisfx

It seems crazy that shark fins weren't a problem until 2017.

Steven
Owner

I think they could have at least allowed some freedom in the size of the engine covers.
It has taken another development opportunity away, and what for exactly? It just results in more identical cars and less advertising space.

Just_a_fan

Did they also ban the T-wings? I can't see where they have, if so.

Monkey seat looks to have been deleted, which is odd as it's not been a source of controversy, has it?

Some changes in the engine regs appear to be targeting certain issues but that probably needs a different thread.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

j2004p

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 10:42
Monkey seat looks to have been deleted, which is odd as it's not been a source of controversy, has it?
Smaller Team TD's (Andy Green at FI IIRC) have voiced concerns that the more complex monkey seats were being used with clever engine maps to get a blowing effect. I think the teams have agreed that rather than the FIA go into the onerous process of investigating engine maps every race they should just delete the monkey seat.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:

Some changes in the engine regs appear to be targeting certain issues but that probably needs a different thread.
The 'monkey seat' or Y100 has been banned to prevent an 'arms race' on exhaust gas manipulation like with the blown diffusers.

I need to have a read but I imagine the T-wing loophole has been well and truly closed. I think it was a mistake/line that wasn't deleted from where the old (2009-16) wings overlapped the rear axle line whereas the new wings start well behind it.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

j2004p wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 10:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
Smaller Team TD's (Andy Green at FI IIRC) have voiced concerns that the more complex monkey seats were being used with clever engine maps to get a blowing effect. I think the teams have agreed that rather than the FIA go into the onerous process of investigating engine maps every race they should just delete the monkey seat.
aah you beat me to it :D
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

ChrisDanger

Just_a_fan wrote:
The T-wing exists because there was no restriction in bodywork being in that little box. If 3.5.1c restricts the sharkfin then it would also cover the T-wing.

adrianjordan

Steven wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 09:49
Indeed, 3.5.1c seems to ban the shark fin, as it says no bodywork can be present in the area above the diagonal line that is now one of the boundary lines of the area where bodywork MUST be present when seen from the side, as defined in 3.5.1a.

That's a pity, as it also means that the regulations DEFINE the exact dimensions of the engine cover when seen from the side.
I'm at work, so can't spend time reading the regulations (and even if I did, I probably wouldn't understand them!!), but how do the regs compare to engine covers we have seen in recent years as we saw a lot of variety in them even then.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

cplchanb

geez....they might as well go spec series.... why are they trying to be such overlords of car design which is a bedrock principle of F1....
does the monkey seat actually give such a huge aero boost like theyre doomsdaying about???

OneAlex

I'm glad the shark fin has gone rather than be kept for sponsors (I know some people like them but I personally think they detract from the car). Also the T-wings are awful so yay for those being killed off.

I'm sad they're banning the monkey seat. Although I can see the logic of doing so, a big part of the thrill of F1 for me are the innovations and designs that come from the less-regulated bits of bodywork.

Is it just me, or are these regs trying to avoid the ugly elephant in the room?

adrianjordan

OneAlex wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 14:17
I'm glad the shark fin has gone rather than be kept for sponsors (I know some people like them but I personally think they detract from the car). Also the T-wings are awful so yay for those being killed off.

I'm sad they're banning the monkey seat. Although I can see the logic of doing so, a big part of the thrill of F1 for me are the innovations and designs that come from the less-regulated bits of bodywork.

Is it just me, or are these regs trying to avoid the ugly elephant in the room?
I'll say it. The nose?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Squid

Count me in those that will be glad if the shark fin goes away. Making a shark fin look good is hard, and most teams get it horribly wrong. I rather not have them than have the eyesores that McLaren and Williams made.