2018 Red Bull vs McLaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who will win between Red Bull and McLaren?

Red Bull
79%
McLaren
21%

Total votes: 178

AJI
AJI

Re: 2018 Red Bull vs McLaren

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 22:58
...I also believe the 5 car will be on the grid next year :wink:
Meaning there will be no #1 on the grid because the driver who wins prefers his number..?
Shame, I miss seeing the number 1 on a car.

Back on topic, McLaren will be lucky to get 5th in the WCC next year. Maybe, if there's a miracle, Alonso can slot into 6th in the WDC, just ahead of RAI. That is realistically best-case-scenario

NathanOlder

AJI wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 00:44
NathanOlder wrote:
...I also believe the 5 car will be on the grid next year :wink:
Meaning there will be no #1 on the grid because the driver who wins prefers his number..?
Shame, I miss seeing the number 1 on a car.

Back on topic, McLaren will be lucky to get 5th in the WCC next year. Maybe, if there's a miracle, Alonso can slot into 6th in the WDC, just ahead of RAI. That is realistically best-case-scenario
100% agree.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

sosic2121

AJI wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 00:44
Maybe, if there's a miracle, Alonso can slot into 6th in the WDC, just ahead of RAI.
I guess he would be 5th then...

hemichromis

Judging by this year, Alonso could easily be ahead of Verstappen!

Jolle

hemichromis wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 16:49
In what? DNF’s?
Verstappens Renault engine almost let him down more often then Alonso’s Honda...

Joseki

I expect Red Bull to finish ahead of McLaren, but in the second part of the season it will become really close.

SectorOne

I think Mclaren could build a faster car than Red Bull next year. But i´m not worried about the cars Mclaren produce, it´s everything else.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

hemichromis

Jolle wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 17:15
hemichromis wrote:
In what? DNF’s?
Verstappens Renault engine almost let him down more often then Alonso’s Honda...
I only mean't Verstappens luck. Alonso's car is where it belongs this year, Verstappens should have double the points he has.

zeph

Jolle wrote:
hemichromis wrote:
In what? DNF’s?
That seems to be the popular view, but it's not fact:

http://www.statsf1.com/en/max-verstappen/abandon.aspx

Looks like only two engine-related retirements, Azerbaijan and Belgium (it says power loss, but for argument's sake we'll assume that is the engine).

Three retirements this year are because of collisions, Singapore, Austria and Spain.

I'm not saying he hasn't had his share of bad luck, mind you, but the idea that it is the PU that lets him down every time is incorrect.

Jolle

zeph wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 19:28
Jolle wrote:
hemichromis wrote:
In what? DNF’s?

Looks like only two engine-related retirements, Azerbaijan and Belgium (it says power loss, but for argument's sake we'll assume that is the engine).

Three retirements this year are because of collisions, Singapore, Austria and Spain.

I'm not saying he hasn't had his share of bad luck, mind you, but the idea that it is the PU that lets him down every time is incorrect.
Not to far off Alonso’s, two engines, two “power loss” (but we all know he retired the car because he was outside the points), twice collisions and some gearboxes and stuff...

http://www.statsf1.com/en/fernando-alonso/abandon.aspx

NathanOlder

zeph wrote:
Jolle wrote:
hemichromis wrote:
In what? DNF’s?

What happened in Canada ? Also the car let him down in Bahrain.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GoranF1

NathanOlder wrote:
If you genuinely believe that, good for you.

I do feel that you will be very disappointed on the evening of March 25th 2018.

There will probably be 6 drivers with faster cars 44, 77, 5, 7, 33, 3.

There will be 3 drivers with equal cars 27, 55 , 2.

So i seriously doubt the 14 will be on the podium at all. I also believe the 5 car will be on the grid next year :wink:
So Redbull can be one of the favorites whit Renault PU but Mclaren will be behind? Based od last 3 years, whit Honda.
Yes Mclaren is behind RB in chassis this year but not by much and things might change next year, they might still be behind but by very little and there is Alonso to compensate for that, because he is a better driver then Ricciardo or Verstapen, better, smarter and faster and as is getting older the better he is, like vine.
I dont think he will win title next year but he will drag that car to podiums.
ONLY problem i see is possible Renault PU integration problems due to late development start but 2 weeks should not couse to many problems.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

sosic2121

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 19:48
zeph wrote:
Jolle wrote:

In what? DNF’s?

What happened in Canada ? Also the car let him down in Bahrain.
Car let him down? IMO he's destroying his car.
Is it true that Riccardo had an issue in Singapore and still came 2nd?

Jolle

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 20:03
NathanOlder wrote:

So i seriously doubt the 14 will be on the podium at all. I also believe the 5 car will be on the grid next year :wink:
So Redbull can be one of the favorites whit Renault PU but Mclaren will be behind? Based od last 3 years, whit Honda.
Yes Mclaren is behind RB in chassis this year but not by much and things might change next year, they might still be behind but by very little and there is Alonso to compensate for that, because he is a better driver then Ricciardo or Verstapen, better, smarter and faster and as is getting older the better he is, like vine.
ONLY problem i see is possible Renault PU integration problems due to late development start but 2 weeks should not couse to many problems.
Ok, I’ll bite:

RedBull pro’s:
-stable management
-no 100 million gap in the budget
-years of experience in the Renault PU
-can work forward from a know platform, with the restrictions of CFD and Tunnel time very important
-two drivers who have more experience the last few years fighting Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg then fighting Wehrlein, Ericsson and Palmer
-understanding how to intergtate the PU with gearbox hardware and software and BBW.

Anything else?

GoranF1

Jolle wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 20:18
GoranF1 wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 20:03
NathanOlder wrote:

Ok, I’ll bite:

RedBull pro’s:
-stable management
-no 100 million gap in the budget
-years of experience in the Renault PU
-can work forward from a know platform, with the restrictions of CFD and Tunnel time very important
-two drivers who have more experience the last few years fighting Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg then fighting Wehrlein, Ericsson and Palmer
-understanding how to intergtate the PU with gearbox hardware and software and BBW.

Anything else?
Mclaren will have more money next year than 100m from Honda via results and new sponsors.
Renault will not give RB same PU as themselfs and Mclaren due to the fact they hate them(not credited enough in title years) and because they are dumping them in 2019.
Ric and Verstapen do not have more experience in anything compare to Alonso.
Renault and Mclaren have signed a works deal and will share technology.
When you underestimate Alonso the way you do people dont get you very serious.
Following Alonso for almost 20 years now and never ever was he this positive about car's handeling like this year....so it must be one hell of a chassis.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."