USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

Good to see that FOM has apparently picked up Will Buxton as their official commentator. He is in a ton of F1 branded videos this year, and did the on track interview after qualifying.

Im glad he wound up in such a great position!

Radley

"If possible, shut off your center speaker. All the commentary is removed but the race sounds remain. Crofty is worse than Diffey during races which is saying something... " YES! I did.

"Does that Crofty guy EVER shut up?" Please Lord, do we have to live with that "person" all season? First there was Jason Priestly then Leigh Diffy and now Crofty?

I'm also alarmed that ESPN bumped FP3 so easily. Why is it so complicated that we have to jump through hoops just to get a full season of Formula One?

strad

I'm also alarmed that ESPN bumped FP3 so easily. Why is it so complicated that we have to jump through hoops just to get a full season of Formula One?
One has to ask why with so many channels under their umbrella they find a need to bump a scheduled program at all as well as why do they feel the need to make me carefully search 3 or 4 of them for the broadcast at all.
Why can't they just pick one and this is where you can watch F1?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

strad wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:57
Why can't they just pick one and this is where you can watch F1?

Because its the end of March!
197 104 103 7

strad

I assume you are making reference to March Madness?
What it got bumped for here was a college baseball game and they didn't follow it to the end and cut to a rather stupid talk show.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 18:59
I Watched ESPN 2 from 11 til whatever(I'd have to go back and check when it ended) but didn't I notice when they were on so perhaps the commercials I saw were during the time between sessions. I will go back and watch the recording. However no commercials, to me, mean no commercials. I shall check later and get back to you on it. One thing for sure NBC would have packed the whole thing with commercials. I won't make any definitive statement till I watch my recording later.
Sometimes I swear they ,NBC, had 3 minutes of commercials for every 5 minutes of show.
Quite frankly I hated NBC but don't care for ESPN in general any more so.
Yeah I pretty much hate both and am hoping OTT comes soon and is our savior. I'm not holding my breath tho.

I guess no commercials wording needed the during action emphasized. Def less commercials tho than NBC. At times NBC seemed to be more commercials than race. I think your 3 for 5 might even be generous. There were times it seems 3 minutes of race for 5 minutes of commercials.

strad

TRUE
Sir Stirling Moss

SoCalWJS

Zynerji wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:37
Good to see that FOM has apparently picked up Will Buxton as their official commentator. He is in a ton of F1 branded videos this year, and did the on track interview after qualifying.

Was one of the highlights of the Broadcasts for me. I am very happy he's still around.

As far as the Sky coverage on ESPN goes, I guess I'll have to get used to it. Not impressed so far. Not a fan of the graphics they use to show the running order and none of the Commentators have impressed outside of Martin Brundle.

Zynerji

SoCalWJS wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 00:21
Zynerji wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:37

Was one of the highlights of the Broadcasts for me. I am very happy he's still around.

As far as the Sky coverage on ESPN goes, I guess I'll have to get used to it. Not impressed so far. Not a fan of the graphics they use to show the running order and none of the Commentators have impressed outside of Martin Brundle.
I've been watching by downloading the Euro stream of F1 for years (iTV, BBC, SKY). Last year, I split time between that and NBCSN app. Other than the ESPN App not updating the Qualifying stream after the posted 1:55am start time, it ran very smoothly, and zero buffering.

So far, I'm liking it!

Moose

Not liking it at all so far - mostly because F1 TV isn't live yet... Hurry up FOM!

Mr Alcatraz

Ha Ha great freakin' pre race show wtf :lol:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Ringleheim

So we get some seemingly live shots from the racetrack in Melbourne with "ambient sound" but no commentators.

They go to break to sort it out; they come back, same thing. Go to break to sort out. Come back same thing

Someone at ESPN in CT say "F-it, put on the lame ass ESPN show we just finished showing"

And that's where we stand at the moment.

F U ESPN!

Well it does say they are having technical difficulties. The video feed I think proved that. That said, not a brilliant start for the 2018 season from ESPN.

JordanFiveOh

Yikes. Finally seems to be working now.

strad

Technical difficulties F1 grid on the grid will be on when they're fixed
Yeah great coverage. Espn/Sky is just great. and now split screen ads just like NBC.
If you guys in the UK and elsewhere get no commercials good on you but this ESPN is just as bad as NBC or worse
Sir Stirling Moss