USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TAG

Re: USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

ladies and gentlemen, no commercial interruptions on ESPN's coverage today!

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

JordanFiveOh

TAG wrote:ladies and gentlemen, no commercial interruptions on ESPN's coverage today!

It was fantastic!!!!!

theblackangus

TAG wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:51

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ed5ea09 ... id=5210758
That was unbelievable!
If Mothers did that by buying all the commercial time and then not playing commercials.... bravo to them. I'm buying some Mothers car care products.
They should just open the race with a commercial saying - Uninterrupted race coverage brought for your pleasure by Mothers, we are car people too and know you want to see some good racing. Then close with the same. I wouldn't even mind seeing their logo in the corner like it was for the whole race, or a little logo sized item with a product switching every 5 minutes.

SteveRacer

The no commercials was nice.

I still prefer last years broad cast team. These guys do a lot of talking. The first few laps was them non-stop shouting. I could do with a little more quite time to listen to the cars and get a feel for the racing. They also all sound very similar to me.

I also do not feel the audio quality is as good as before. The on track sound and the announcers just seems to come through as "noise". I struggle to hear them. Could be my imagination or my 5 and 3 year old drowning things out!

Tifosi01

ESPN goes commercial-free for rest of 2018 F1 coverage in U.S.
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/231 ... overage-us

Yes!!!!!!

Just saw this, sponsored by Mothers Polish. Of course ESPN doesn't pay anything for F1 but I still plan to pick up a couple Mothers products (I actually need a couple things so this works out well). Hopefully Mothers gets good response to this and wants to keep this going in the future.

zeph

Tifosi01 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 21:47
ESPN goes commercial-free for rest of 2018 F1 coverage in U.S.
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/231 ... overage-us

Yes!!!!!!
And just like that US coverage went from "it sucks" to "it rocks"! =D>

strad

Why do you think ESPN gets it for free?
I would expect they have to pay somebody.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

theblackangus wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 20:16
TAG wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:51

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ed5ea09 ... id=5210758
That was unbelievable!
If Mothers did that by buying all the commercial time and then not playing commercials.... bravo to them. I'm buying some Mothers car care products.
They should just open the race with a commercial saying - Uninterrupted race coverage brought for your pleasure by Mothers, we are car people too and know you want to see some good racing. Then close with the same. I wouldn't even mind seeing their logo in the corner like it was for the whole race, or a little logo sized item with a product switching every 5 minutes.
They should have animated overlay ads in a corner from time to time

strad

Last night watching P1 for the first time ever, I couldn't wait for it to be over.
The commentators are really poor in my opinion.
They prattle on and on over nothing ignoring action on track. They take 1000 words where 100 would do. It's like they just want to hear themselves talk and make private jokes. Only Martin saves it at all.
And at the end, I'd like to know why the audio is out of sync with their mouths. Need some Dramamine.
Does it somehow have to do with the fact it's not traditional TV but some kind of steaming being broadcast on TV?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

I've got a question that I forgot to ask till today when I was watching MotoGP.
Why do these British announcers feel the need to yell. Are they trying to impart excitement or what?
I find it very irritating. They all do it from soccer to MotoGP to F1. I just don't get and I don't see the need.
Sir Stirling Moss

Chuckjr

Just want to say I really enjoy the new ESPN / Sky F1 coverage here in America. It is a VAST improvement over the very tired and out of touch former NBC team. I'm so glad to not have to hear Hobbs talk about clag or his favorite, Lewis, anymore. Matchett was relevant years ago, but he also is past his sell by date. Diffey was horrible bad from the very start. Never liked that guy at all. Varsha was always a better commentator but they ousted him for Diffey years ago.

I enjoy the new format and production value of the new coverage so much better. No commercials is simply jaw dropping fantastic. Never had that spanning 25+ years watching F1 in America.

I actually rather enjoy the Sky commentators, and I enjoy the Brit humor from time to time. Di Resta's Scottish accent is also enjoyable to listen to.

I really like the whole package quite a lot. Thank you ESPN. Great job.
Watching F1 since 1986.

dren

No commercials is great. The 'new' cast isn't an improvement. I much prefer the old NBC crew. Oh well, it's just nice that I can watch everything on the ESPN app. The only issue I have with it is that they show the winning car and the pole setter on the selection icon for the event. Talk about massive spoilers.
Honda!

Gator86

Anyone in the States having issues locating the qualifying coverage for their DVR like I am? ESPN2 lists "SEC Storied" at the 9:00 AM (Eastern) time slot in my guide. Am I missing something? I am going to record whatever this show is just in case my DirectTV guide hasn't been updated properly, but I will be seriously upset if we get left out. I can't even find a delay/ scheduled replay listing. Please help?!?!

strad

The absolutely worst coverage I have seen in decades of watching F1 on TV.
Worst coverage .. worst commentators... and more lies about the coverage than NBC before them. I don't see how the can expect to grow the U.S. market this way.
Sir Stirling Moss