USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

strad wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 21:19
The absolutely worst coverage I have seen in decades of watching F1 on TV.
Worst coverage .. worst commentators... and more lies about the coverage than NBC before them. I don't see how the can expect to grow the U.S. market this way.
I find it odd that you feel this way. I've been downloading the British broadcasts since ITV had it, because the speed TV and the NBC coverage was riddled with commercials, and out of the loop pit reporting. I find it fantastic that is part of my Xfinity bundle that I have from my internet and cable, that I can now log into my tablet (1080p/no buffer) to watch live and have a far better experience watching the race than I have in the US since I started watching it in 2003. It's nice to not have to wait for them to be posted to download, and dodging spoilers in today's world is difficult to impossible.

Best experience for me.

strad

I'm glad you like it.
I too hated the commercials which I still get on ESPN except during the race and that is nice. Now if only they would have intelligent comments about racing and not their sleep habits and what they had for breakfast and I cannot stand them yelling/screaming their commentary. Doesn't make the race any better. Just annoying.
Different strokes I guess.
As I understand it from friends across the pond the old coverage was better and they don't care for these guys any more than I do.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

strad wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 00:22
I'm glad you like it.
I too hated the commercials which I still get on ESPN except during the race and that is nice. Now if only they would have intelligent comments about racing and not their sleep habits and what they had for breakfast and I cannot stand them yelling/screaming their commentary. Doesn't make the race any better. Just annoying.
As I understand it from friends across the pond the old coverage was better and they don't care for these guys any more than I do.
I like Bundle. Cant stand Crofty or Ted Kravits.

I wish Will Buxton did the F1 gridwalk with scheduled time with the top 10. That would be far better than Sky, IMHO.

TAG

Zynerji wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 21:58
strad wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 00:22
I'm glad you like it.
I like Bundle. Cant stand Crofty or Ted Kravits.

I wish Will Buxton did the F1 gridwalk with scheduled time with the top 10. That would be far better than Sky, IMHO.
Buxton is the one I miss. Still don't know who's who doing the race commentary but they do talk excessively, sometimes about nothing.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Zynerji

I'll try the OTT, but ESPN app has been great other than some time listings being wonky, and easily fixed.

SteveRacer

Anyone in the US know how to watch Ted's Notebook? I used to watch it on youtube but I am finding it difficult to locate feeds this year.

Radley

ESPN's audio started badly and now is the absolute worst I've ever heard. This weekend's coverage from Hungry was nowhere near Dolby standards. Left channel, right channel, left surround, right surround and subwoofer were completely off. The only track audio was a low dribble behind Crofty's non-stop blathering.
Unacceptable!

TAG

^^ Didn't notice it, maybe I'm still too overcome with joy over the commercial free aspect of the airings.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

strad

I'm really upset with ESPN cutting away from post race interviews. This week it was to go to an NFL training camp. :shock:
To me the real problem is the group at SKY do not act like professionals.
I'm sure many are tired of me harping on it but quite frankly it's gotten to where I dread the broadcasts.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Gator86

I'm right there with ya, the majority of the commentary is trash, I watch with the mute on unless something noteworthy happens. #firecrofty

Ringleheim

Why do the Crofty haters hate him? He is technically quite competent at his job, very knowledgable, and a quick witted guy.

He does get a little excited at times, but that's part of his job. Murray Walker used to get plenty excited too.

The Sky coverage this year on ESPN has been the best thing that ever happened to F1 broadcasting in the USA. I am in love with it.

No commercials during races! All 3 practice sessions available on TV or online! Tons of insightful, relevant commentary from people still very much current to the sport. What the hell do you people want exactly!?

Big Tea

When you talk about Crofty, base it on that he was a radio commentator for the best part of 20 years, so has got int the style of stating the obvious, because radio audience do not see the event.
He was also looking to avoid 'dead air'. So it was better for him to talk crap than not talk, and he has not fully adjusted.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

subcritical71

Big Tea wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 16:28

He was also looking to avoid 'dead air'. So it was better for him to talk crap than not talk, and he has not fully adjusted.
This is the part that annoys me the most. I mean, to me Sky is in your face onslaught of, mostly useless, commentary for the whole broadcast. Is it Ted who has to make every start/restart like it's the biggest most exciting start/restart ever. I get why he does it, but it's like the boy who cried wolf to me.

I do really enjoy the commercial free aspect of it. And since I normally watch the ESPN replay everything gets included minus the proper driver interviews.

strad

I wish you guys that are hung up on it would get past the no commercials part. Of course we all like the no commercials. However it doesn't justify the horrible coverage.
I think the one I dislike the most is Paul Di Resta, but actually I could do without all except Martin and he is getting pretty bad at times.
As I have said I cannot stand the BS of every little think being shouted at me as if it's the most exciting thing since 1950.
They start a car,,It a really big deal. A car rolls out of the pits,,, It's a really big deal. What one of them had for breakfast,,, It's a really big deal.
Save the over the top getting excited for something that is actually exciting.
Sir Stirling Moss

SteveRacer

I hate to say it but they all sound the same to me. So it just sounds like constant talking.

Strad- Funny you say you dont like DiResta, he has been my favorite when he is there.

Best part of all is the lack of commercials.

The pre race grid walk can be painful at times but I do miss the post race though.