USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

The pre race grid walk can be painful at times but I do miss the post race though.
Agreed.
In his interview Martin say he had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the booth. I think it still shows. Pod Cast is interesting quite honest.
Brundle beyond the grid pod cast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T_Kh1aEbpQ
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

notsofast

The primary improvement in the coverage comes from Sky having multiple people present at the track. They are in a position to tell us about things we don't see on the standard coverage. In previous years, the commentators were simply telling us what we could see with our own eyes, because they were sitting in Atlanta, watching the same TV we were all watching.

Now, if Brundle would start interviewing engineers instead of celebrities during his grid walks, that would make those grid walks a lot less painful.

Big Tea

notsofast wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 11:30
The primary improvement in the coverage comes from Sky having multiple people present at the track. They are in a position to tell us about things we don't see on the standard coverage. In previous years, the commentators were simply telling us what we could see with our own eyes, because they were sitting in Atlanta, watching the same TV we were all watching.

Now, if Brundle would start interviewing engineers instead of celebrities during his grid walks, that would make those grid walks a lot less painful.
Interviews with engineers on the grid would be very very limited. They like to play the cards close, and members of other teams watch too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SoCalWJS

For whatever reason, FP2 didn't record this morning on whichever ESPN was supposed to show it.

Went to the ESPN/Roku channel to catch it. It's listed, but now says that it's "Not Included" with my package. What the heck?

Always was able to get everything in the past. Is ESPN trying to move F1 to ESPN+?

strad

Near as I can tell (I looked for two days before hand) they broke their promise (again) and didn't show FP2.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

It was on the WatchESPN app live.

strad

All I know is it wasn't on any of the 4 ESPNs I get. And I am not supposed to have to purchase another app to watch it.
They said every session would be broadcast live on ESPN. Not on some other app.
As I understand it we missed an exciting FP2.
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

strad wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 01:40
All I know is it wasn't on any of the 4 ESPNs I get. And I am not supposed to have to purchase another app to watch it.
They said every session would be broadcast live on ESPN. Not on some other app.
As I understand it we missed an exciting FP2.
Heineken Italian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, August 31 4:55 AM - ESPN2
Practice 2 - Friday, August 31 8:55 AM - ESPNU
Practice 3 - Saturday, Sept. 1 5:55 AM - ESPN2
Qualifying - Saturday, Sept. 1 8:55 AM - ESPNEWS
On The Grid - Sunday, Sept. 2 8:30 AM - ESPN2
Race - Sunday, Sept. 2 9:00 AM - ESPN2
Encore - Sunday, Sept. 2 8:00 PM - ESPNEWS

Times are Eastern Standard.

strad

I watched FP2 but it was delayed.
Sir Stirling Moss

Ringleheim

strad wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 19:19
Near as I can tell (I looked for two days before hand) they broke their promise (again) and didn't show FP2.
I have noticed that ESPN is somewhat randomly televising the various sessions of a grand prix weekend from race to race.

One thing is for sure: if you include ESPN.com and are willing to watch online, you can see ALL SESSIONS of all races at every weekend. You can't beat that with a stick.

FP1, 2, 3, Quali, pre-race, and race are all available to see every race weekend at ESPN, ESPN2, online, ESPN NEWS, or ESPN U.

Go to the ESPN website on Thursday before a race weekend and you'll see the upcoming schedule for all sessions. Sometimes they are all shown on TV, sometimes some are, etc. It varies.

strad

I should not have to check each race to see where they are going to televise what. There should be consistency. Especially considering they have multiple channels they can use.
Sir Stirling Moss

Tifosi01

Consistency would be nice and an assured way to build a fan base. For me I just use the ESPN app on my Roku and watch the replays there, all sessions in one spot so that helps out.