USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

Re: USA fans: say goodbye NBC, hello ESPN

zeph wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 22:58
dren wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 21:57
I welcome the move to ESPN. It'll let me trim down my cable package or look elsewhere since the only reason I've kept it is for F1 on NBC Sports.
I know ESPN is a part of the base package, but is ESPN2 as well? As that is where most races will be broadcast.

As for Diffey/Hobbs/Matchett/Buxton, they moved from SpeedTV to NBCSN, so I suspect they will move on to ESPN as a part of the deal.
based on the ted's qualies notebook (9:18), will buxton said this is what american audience is going to miss next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l28bkGNZ1w

shame about will buxton cause of the nbc sports broadcasters he was the only that didn't put me to sleep, and i met him in 2015 leaving montreal after the GP.

TAG

NYGIANTS wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 19:07
shame about will buxton cause of the nbc sports broadcasters he was the only that didn't put me to sleep, and i met him in 2015 leaving montreal after the GP.
Couldn't agree with you more. He grew on me a lot. I missed Peter Windsor but Will not only knows his stuff but he's one of the most unbiased guys I've every seen, he loves the sport and everything about it and exudes that into the tv screen every time he's on.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 19:23

Couldn't agree with you more. He grew on me a lot. I missed Peter Windsor but Will not only knows his stuff but he's one of the most unbiased guys I've every seen, he loves the sport and everything about it and exudes that into the tv screen every time he's on.
I feel the same way. I didn't like Buxton at first but he really grew on me. I think it was his enthusiasm. At first it seemed forced to me, but then I realized just how passionate he is.

In my mind the fact that ESPN is likely not gonna keep Buxton just shows you things aren't going to be any better. F1 won't catch on in the states until it is presented better.

TAG

I agree, all too often they take the audience for idiots, explaining every minutia and then make glaring mistakes or gloss over things that you know are much deeper or nuanced, it's as if they don't want to offend anyone so you wind up getting the worst of both worlds.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dren

1158 wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 19:52
TAG wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 19:23

I feel the same way. I didn't like Buxton at first but he really grew on me. I think it was his enthusiasm. At first it seemed forced to me, but then I realized just how passionate he is.

In my mind the fact that ESPN is likely not gonna keep Buxton just shows you things aren't going to be any better. F1 won't catch on in the states until it is presented better.
I agree 100%. I couldn't stand the guy at first because I thought it was forced, but he really is just that passionate. Some of his commentating is comical, in a good way.
Honda!

strad

re: commercial breaks;
The real coming problem I see is the split screen commercials.
You'll see that "they" don't see the split screens as "commercial breaks" and therefor can cram in more advertising while claiming they are break free.
Soon the whole race will be split screen.
I don't understand how they can show MSL and EPL break free, but not racing.
Since advertising money is important how about a half hour of commercials before and after ..fifteen b4 and fifteen after,,and run the race complete...OR stop the race during the commercials so you don't miss anything?
Will was ok at first but as became more full of himself he has gone downhill.
AND I could not agree more about Varsha..bring him back PLEASE.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

TAG

No FP2 being televised live on NBC SN, that's what we have to deal with here. Lost and lots of NASCAR though.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

kptaylor
kptaylor

As said before, log on to nbcsports.com and watch whichever event you want. They have all FPs, Quali and the race. If it's not being broadcast on TV it still shows the FOM feed with no voiceover.

TAG

I'm there but watching online isn't my first choice. I'm old school. ;) Or maybe just old.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

kptaylor
kptaylor

Me too and agreed! Gotta do what you gotta do... ;)

Zynerji

Every tv in my home has a Windows pc attached to it, and my family streams 100% of our content.

We don't even have a "cable" package, just 200mbit internet.

F1NAC

Zynerji wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 20:54
just 200mbit internet.
Damn. I can reach only 10 times less than your speed

Zynerji

Are you near a major metro? I'm right outside my state capitol, and they always get the good stuff first.

holeindalip
holeindalip

Xbox one has the NBCSN app too just a fyi

JAA17
JAA17

In the UK the F1 coverage has flip-floped between a load of TV stations. It has not been too much of a hassle as the presenters have mainly stayed the same. For example we have two previous racers Coultard and Webber, and an ex-team boss Eddie Jordan, and they are really good.

If you like the NBC presenters and they change when you go to ESPN, then that could be a bit annoying.
[Alonso Fan]