Was Verstappen's 5 Second Penalty Fair?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JAA17

Was Verstappen's 5 Second Penalty Fair?

Loads of cars had been going wide in turn 9 and 19 and gaining advantages all race, according to Verstappen (and many of the people shouting at the screen where I was watching the race).

Do you think the 5 second penalty and loss of the podium position was fair on Verstappen or not?

My personal opinion is he was robbed of a fair racing overtaking maneuver. Kimi had lost the position.
[Alonso Fan]

Ozan

Re: Was Verstappen's 5 Second Penalty Fair?

he gained an advantage by cutting the corner too much. end of story.

marvin78

It was fair as the maneuver was against the rules.

TAG

By the rules, it was illegal, therefore the penalty. Should it, could it, would it is a different story.

I mentioned yesterday that from the perspective of "The Show" they should have announced it after the race in an official FiA statement like they have for numerous other incidents in the past. It was weird all around especially in the US where they're trying to sell the sport.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Gerhardsa

Hotheads like Verstappen, Lauda etc sometimes say a lot of stupid things in the heat of the moment... this outcry about the penalty again being one of them.
When you gain advantage or overtake someone by going off track/cutting a corner, you have to give the place back.

Jolle

He gained an advantage to cut the corner, Kimi’s move could have been a problem. But, I think it’s a fair ruling but in the spirit of the race, I wouldn’t of given him the penalty.

Fulcrum

This reminded me a little of Grosjean's pass in Hungary - when driving for Lotus. An excellent move, but it probably wouldn't have been possible within the track limits.

ripper

I think that penalty was correct: he left track limits.

I also think that this penalty should be always enforced when overtaking, or never, for everyone. Simple and fair.

hemichromis

I feel it was fair but I believe Kimi scared Verstappen into tightening his line and going over the kerb. Verstappen was alongside and faster than Kimi so i'm not really sure what he should have done when Kimi tightened his line.

It seems that a 'lasting advantage' is only when a pass is completed while off the track. Bottas was able to defend Ricciardo by charging off track.

Shrieker

You mention turn 9 and 19, but penalties are handed for gaining a meaningful advantage. In maxstappen s case, it was blatant, hence the penalty.

On the other hand, this could and should ve been better managed from the beginning of the weekend. They should ve said "no off track infringements, keep it between the white lines ". Actually it should be done at the start of the season at melbourne as another fellow member has pointed out in the race thread. So the teams drivers know it won't be tolerated. The fact that Charlie et al won't do it reeks of incompetence imo.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

By the way, it is in no way similar with for example Bottas trying and successfully holding on to his place round the outside coming out of T1, when ricci lunged up the inside and pushed him off the track. Had there been a wall there instead of a white line, they would've both retired on the spot; hence the attack wouldn't have taken place to begin with. This and max aren't remotely comparable.
Last edited by Shrieker on 23 Oct 2017, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

marvin78

The point is that you can never ever compare two incidents. If you accept that and look at every case alone you don't get to wonder about this case.

SiLo

If you watch replays, Kimi was quite tight then released the steering. At this point Max keeps it tight, obviously trying to leave enough room for Kimi but going too far.

Fair penalty in my opinion. I think the fact that it was on the last lap was what made it worse.
Felipe Baby!

garyjpaterson

In respect to the rules, yes it was a fair penalty.

I do not however think the rules are enforced fairly enough, this whole idea of 'gaining a lasting advantage' is silly, as its too difficult to define and regulate.

For example, it seems if you cut the track but didn't gain a position, you are not seen to have gained a lasting advantage. Personally I think that is wrong. We saw almost everyone cutting one of the right-handers in the first sector - do you think people wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't an advantage to be gained? Of course not, there absolutely is a 'lasting advantage' to be gained, its called a better laptime!

What I'm getting at is properly enforce track limits, or don't enforce it at all. Don't pick and choose as you see fit.

Shrieker

garyjpaterson wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 14:53

What I'm getting at is properly enforce track limits, or don't enforce it at all. Don't pick and choose as you see fit.
Yes, consistency in application of the rules. Inconsistencies diminish people's trust in justice. I think this is at the root of the problem here.
-Atatürk