What's Liberty Media bringing to the table?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TAG

What's Liberty Media bringing to the table?

After this weekend's COTA and the Breast Cancer Awareness joint PR thing (let's leave discussion of that elsewhere please) I started thinking about what's they've been doing this year. Really the first year they get to drive after Bernie's banishment.

We've had the London "show" and that was received well by fans and the media a like, but also HBO with Bryant Gumble released this in depth interview with Lewis Hamilton and it was perfectly timed with the weekend's race at COTA, certainly not by coincidence. Anyone that doesn't know the show's brand and style, it's a very thinking man's sports show that talks about the industry the mega stars and has journalistic credibility. Taking on previously taboo topics such as concussions in football, betting in sports and steroid and drug use. The fact that they got Lewis Hamilton to feature into a Real Sports with Briant Gumble episode is unprecedented.

I think we'll see the sport develop in short order, maybe into something that not everyone will like, I'm cautiously optimistic, but I know where they'd want to wind up in order to make the most money from their purchase. I'd rather not go there, but regardless they are clearly trying to make an impact in what's a completely untapped market, the USA. In Hamilton they're pushing the "brand" they think will sell. Hell, the even ran an ad for Motorsport.com during the F1 race this weekend. Unheard of before, so they're trying to push. Let's see where it goes.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

SectorOne

Re: What's Liberty Media bringing to the table?

Well so far the most notable things for me is way more content on youtube. It´s actually an active channel these days.
Then its also that in 2018 they will launch their own in-house streaming service which is gonna be huge i think.

As for changes to the sport itself i think its way too early for them to make any significant impact.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

notsofast

It's obvious that they're trying things. That's good. Hopefully they'll learn from them. Hopefully next year will be better.

Jolle

I think Bernies view was much more "the car is the star", with large involvement of the constructors, who were of course his original partners. He also took care of them when times were a bit rough.

His original business model, selling TV rights is slowly coming to an end with the diminishing role of TV and he hadn't got a real answer for it.

I think it's wise that Liberty tries to open the market into new media and not with the constructors but with drivers and the other people of interest of the paddock.

Bernie was terrible scared of social media, almost on track action filmed or shared by anyone else then the rights holder of the races and Liberty looks like it they know that the full, live race itself is worth money and the rest is free advertising. Their way of marketing is more of that of a movie, lots of teasers, lots of interviews, talk shows, "making offs" to develop interest of the cash cow: the movie/race itself.

keep it coming I say!!

TAG

They're also introducing CGI California Condors! The interwebz are all lit up. When I saw it I laughed, it's been extinct in the wild and was reintroduced maybe there was some "deal" to tease people with it. I figure it's CGI because they've often done CGI corporate logos and such, so doing something like this stunt would be easy.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

SunsAnvil

Well there was the laughable driver presentation thing with all the posing and Ricciardo being referred to as a honey badger. That was cringeworthy. There was a shadow of a huge bird flying over the circuit which, it transpires, may have been CGI.... And Biggi moustaches! Did I miss anything?

marmer

I can see improvements with what liberty are doing but the drivers running out to Michael buffer needs alot of work to be less awkward perhaps waiting for the drivers to be in the cars starting at the back of the grid before formation the camera could run up passed every car while buffer does his talk

Cold Fussion

The Austin preshow was absolutely awful. Let's just hope Liberty don't Americanise F1 to death.

roon

TAG wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 20:40
They're also introducing CGI California Condors! The interwebz are all lit up. When I saw it I laughed, it's been extinct in the wild and was reintroduced maybe there was some "deal" to tease people with it. I figure it's CGI because they've often done CGI corporate logos and such, so doing something like this stunt would be easy.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7pKe ... 261056.jpg
Probably just a prop plane being lit from behind at an angle by the sun, creating a squat shadow. Note the shadows of the fence and cars in the video below. The sun is casting long shadows, ~45deg angle (or however one would describe that). Right between noon and sunset!

https://youtu.be/Eneq8Cw2EUo

Actually it's probably a bi-plane or barnstormer, which would explain the exaggerated chord-length in the shadow. You're seeing two wings. The 'head' may be the engine or prop nose-cone. There are vintage planes for tourists, which fly over Austin often. Maybe this is one of them.

Here are a couple images I found and distorted if it helps visualize.

JordanFiveOh

roon wrote:
TAG wrote:

Probably just a prop plane being lit from behind at an angle by the sun, creating a squat shadow. Note the shadows of the fence and cars in the video below. The sun is casting long shadows, ~45deg angle (or however one would describe that). Right between noon and sunset!

Actually it's probably a bi-plane or barnstormer, which would explain the exaggerated chord-length in the shadow. You're seeing two wings. The 'head' may be the engine or prop nose-cone. There are vintage planes for tourists, which fly over Austin often. Maybe this is one of them.

It was CGI. They said as much on twitter.

https://twitter.com/f1/status/922584631400157191

California Condors are a magnificent bird, though.

FW17

They would like 2 more changes, and are discussing on the same.

1) 2 Day race weekend

2) 3 grid formation

2 day race weekend would be nice, a single long practice done in the morning 3-4 hrs and qualifying in the afternoon in the usual time. The parc ferme rules taken off and a 1 hr practice on the morning of the race.

3 grid formation was used in the past, however don't know when was last used

marmer

3 wide only makes sense if it's possible at every track. Some 1st corners would be horrific with the cars all bunched up. At the moment your lucky if you get 3 wide into a turn if someone on the 2nd row gets a good start that leads to 4 wide. Very dangerous at some locations.

Also I like the current format of the weekend.

Perhaps 1 practice on a Friday around the time free practice 2.

I would like more support races feature in the main broadcast.

They could expand gp3 and gp2(f2)
So that they cover the whole F1 season. Have gp3 on a Friday practice qualification and race same day.
Same with f2 but on Saturday and have the sprint race before the F1 on Sunday.

roon

JordanFiveOh wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 06:45
roon wrote:
TAG wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/wCrqSxa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HR1btCZ.jpg
It was CGI. They said as much on twitter.

https://twitter.com/f1/status/922584631400157191

California Condors are a magnificent bird, though.
Huh. I guess part of me really didn't want it to be a CG eagle. At least it wasn't a gopher in a miner's hat.

Sevach

Liberty has purchased the Manor 2017 windtunnel model, team led by Ross Brawn will explore windtunnel concepts for the 2021 car.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 80493.html

FW17

Since they own F2, I hope they sponsor 25% of the seats to veterans of F1 and GP2 champions on a rotational basis to improve the quality of GP2 champions. Some of the Champions of GP2 do not deserve it and they just inherit the Champion due to a poor line up.

Also will help provide older drivers a option to stay with European open wheel racing rather than being pushed into Sports and touring cars.