Fernando Alonso: Road to the Triple Crown

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Fernando Alonso: Road to the Triple Crown

Alonso was recently rumoured to be taking part in the 2018 Daytona 24 Hours in preparaton for an entry for Le Mans later in the year. He's just confirmed the Daytona race, below. This is in his efforts to win the triple crown after his faled attempt at Indianapolis this year, which he will not be attempting in 2018.

Alonso will race the United Autosports Ligier JS P217 alongside previously announced drivers Phil Hanson and Lando Norris.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/fe ... s-3174620/

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Fernado Alonso: Road to the Triple Crown

Whilst not the biggest fan of Alonso, I must say I applaud his attempt at this accolade. He's unlikely to be in a title winning car in F1 again but he's still fast enough for the other disciplines. A huge amount of luck is going to be needed to carry it off in the time available.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

With his luck it will be the sister car that wins. Glad he's made the connections to make the attempt even possible. I wouldn't necessarily call Daytona a prep race for the 24 Heurs du Mans. It's its own glory and history and the Rolex at the end is icing on the cake.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

marmer
marmer

TAG wrote:With his luck it will be the sister car that wins. Glad he's made the connections to make the attempt even possible. I wouldn't necessarily call Daytona a prep race for the 24 Heurs du Mans. It's its own glory and history and the Rolex at the end is icing on the cake.
I suspect if he wants a Rolex he might be able to afford one

Sevach
Sevach

[media]https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/ ... 0680236033[/media]

He needs to bring a nanny lol.

TAG

marmer wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 23:02
TAG wrote:With his luck it will be the sister car that wins. Glad he's made the connections to make the attempt even possible. I wouldn't necessarily call Daytona a prep race for the 24 Heurs du Mans. It's its own glory and history and the Rolex at the end is icing on the cake.
I suspect if he wants a Rolex he might be able to afford one
It's not the same. ;)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

TAG wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 21:18
I wouldn't necessarily call Daytona a prep race for the 24 Heurs du Mans.
motorsport.com wrote:Speaking at the United States Grand Prix on Thursday after confirming his new deal with McLaren, Alonso said that competing at Daytona was now being weighed up to help him prepare better for Le Mans.
https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news/al ... re-967487/

From what I've read he seems to think his lack of preparation for the Indy 500 was problematic, and that he needs to be more prepared for future similar attempts. The way he spoke suggested that was all he needed to guarantee victory, but I agree with Just_a_fan that there's a huge component of luck involved. You can't do anything about luck though, but you can be more prepared.

zac510
zac510

If he's not racing with Toyota at LM24 then he has no chance, but then again if Toyota do drop out and there is no LMP1 class this year then he has a real chance!

rscsr

zac510 wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 10:08
If he's not racing with Toyota at LM24 then he has no chance, but then again if Toyota do drop out and there is no LMP1 class this year then he has a real chance!
The latest news I've heard are that they are doing at least the super season. And there are quite some private LMP1 sold, as far as I know.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

zac510 wrote:
If he's not racing with Toyota at LM24 then he has no chance
Toyota would be open to talks with McLaren Formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso about a Le Mans 24 Hours drive next year should it continue in the World Endurance Championship.

McLaren has revealed it would allow two-time F1 world champion Alonso to race at Le Mans next year if he commits to a new deal with the team.

Team director Rob Leupen said Toyota was open to talking to top drivers from other series and noted that technical director Pascal Vasselon had previously worked with Alonso.

"We are always interested in talking to top drivers and Pascal has a good relationship with Fernando going back to his days with Michelin in F1," Leupen told Autosport.
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1318 ... mans-talks

zac510
zac510

That is from last month - interesting!
It must be the kind of deal the ACO are trying to broker, to keep Toyota in sportscars for another year.

Jolle
Jolle

ChrisDanger wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 12:26
zac510 wrote:
If he's not racing with Toyota at LM24 then he has no chance
Toyota would be open to talks with McLaren Formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso about a Le Mans 24 Hours drive next year should it continue in the World Endurance Championship.

McLaren has revealed it would allow two-time F1 world champion Alonso to race at Le Mans next year if he commits to a new deal with the team.

Team director Rob Leupen said Toyota was open to talking to top drivers from other series and noted that technical director Pascal Vasselon had previously worked with Alonso.

"We are always interested in talking to top drivers and Pascal has a good relationship with Fernando going back to his days with Michelin in F1," Leupen told Autosport.
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1318 ... mans-talks
Could an interest in Toyota also be part of the problem he had with the Honda PU?

roon
roon

George-Jung wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 22:30
Whois Fernado Alonso?
Why, it is famed Mexican lucha libre luchador Fernado "The Tornado" Alonso, of course. Currently working the celebrity motorsports circuit in his retirement days. Big in Japan.