Respect towards the stewards / better system?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
KeiKo403

Re: Respect towards the stewards / better system?

The thing is though when you look at Charlie in the driver briefing he has no back bone. Someone asks him a question and he deflects it to another driver. A briefing should be, this won't be tolerated etc. The man is old and weak minded, he needs to go.

It's not like he's new to this game, he's been doing it for ages.

When compared to other sports, the rules aren't enforced consistently full stop. Lets continue with track limits, white lines. Look at tennis, video evidence shows in/out. In F1, video evidence can show out but stewards are still allowed to decide if a penalty should be applied or not.

Cricket, LBW's. Fancy magic so show an umpire what would've happened if the leg wouldn't have been there. And yet at the 'pinnacle' of motorsport it's seemingly left to 3 old men in a little box room reviewing video evidence from some poor quality 1950's CCTV system**.

**Surely that must be correct based on some of the decisions we've seen lately.

strad

Nobody has noted that this all starts all the way down to karts.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Edax

strad wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 19:12
In most other sports the referee is supposed to be seen as a neutral authority that everyone is to respect
In most other sports they are but in F1 the FIA has never been seen as neutral. NEVER
I think that is the main problem. The FIA has a reputation of favorism. Whether it is true or not doesn’t matter it is how they are perceived. F1 historically has been a shady organisation where descisions are made in backrooms, ruled by a select few who derive their power from heritage. Many expect that to have spilled over into the officials room.

And the FIA has not been forward in clearing their own ranks. Connely should have lost the power to judge over Verstappen after his shenanigans in Japan. I can understand the lack off respect.

But I expect the new owners to clean house here. So far they seem to have a pretty good idea what they are doing. I think we can see some changes in the referee room next year.

dans79

Edax wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 00:36

But I expect the new owners to clean house here. So far they seem to have a pretty good idea what they are doing. I think we can see some changes in the referee room next year.
Not likely, they have no power over the FIA.
197 104 103 7

Schuttelberg

Max was clearly forced to apologise here. He didn't mean one scent of it, just like Sebastian last year. Anyone who follows the sport half decently knows this. Personally, I'm absolutely cool with all this. The apology is anyway PR jazz. And, very honestly some of these officials in F1 need some telling off. They're incompetent as hell.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 08:57
Edax wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 00:36

Not likely, they have no power over the FIA.
Just like Bernie had no saying? Most of the FIA top officials are/were old Brabham employees from back in the day Bernie was in charge of that team. With him gone, I don’t expect Charlie to stay on for very long.

Ennis

KeiKo403 wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 15:11
The thing is though when you look at Charlie in the driver briefing he has no back bone. Someone asks him a question and he deflects it to another driver. A briefing should be, this won't be tolerated etc. The man is old and weak minded, he needs to go.

It's not like he's new to this game, he's been doing it for ages.

When compared to other sports, the rules aren't enforced consistently full stop. Lets continue with track limits, white lines. Look at tennis, video evidence shows in/out. In F1, video evidence can show out but stewards are still allowed to decide if a penalty should be applied or not.

Cricket, LBW's. Fancy magic so show an umpire what would've happened if the leg wouldn't have been there. And yet at the 'pinnacle' of motorsport it's seemingly left to 3 old men in a little box room reviewing video evidence from some poor quality 1950's CCTV system**.

**Surely that must be correct based on some of the decisions we've seen lately.
I think you're looking to compare different things. And there is better ways to manage people & an audience then acting like a overly aggressive police officer.

I agree that the stewarding in F1 needs reviewed, but this criticism based on how he manages a bunch of multi-millionaires in a drivers briefing is wrong.

KeiKo403

I am comparing different things yes, but the principle remains the same about there is a rulebook and it's not being followed consistently. I agree about better ways to manage the drivers and discussions during the briefings etc but what's going on now is clearly not working so maybe there's a need for a bad cop?

Re the briefings it's like he's trying to be their friends, I know the sport is very political but he's employed by the FIA and has a job to do, he's not their to manage multi-millionaires. He's there to manage 20 of the best (arguably) racing drivers in the world. If he can't be firm with them because he's scared of hurting their feelings or not getting an xmax card then he's in the wrong job. Go in there, tell them to keep within track limits and follow the rules. We either want consistent rulings based on the current sporting regs or a new set of sporting regs which does allow drivers to exceed track limits because it's faster and for that to be ok.

A lot of people have been left confused over why no investigation for Vettel's overtake on Massa in Mexico considering the massive up roar there was for Max vs Kimi in USGP.