A F1 driver thread to rule them all

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: A F1 driver thread to rule them all

if the 2010-2017 point scoring system had been effective at that time.
IF a frog had wings....
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

I find relative driver speed more interesting. There is a guy who calculates this and his results are very interesting. You would be surprised to see how fast.. Or slow some drivers really are..
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

skoop
skoop

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
31 Oct 2017, 06:37
I find relative driver speed more interesting. There is a guy who calculates this and his results are very interesting. You would be surprised to see how fast.. Or slow some drivers really are..
Would you share the results with us? :)

PlatinumZealot

He is on reddit. I will have to find his post. Basically he uses qualifying stats and "keystone drivers" to search for consisitencies. He finds the consistencies than apply it to connected drivers
Fatest at top

lewis
alonso = Nico ~ 1 to 2 tenths behind
Max and Daniel? 1.5 tenths to 2.5
Jenson = Vettel = Bottas? 2 tenths to 3 tenths...
Something like that.. Hope i can find his analysis. It does make sense somewhat.

NathanOlder

04 Nov 2017, 03:15
He is on reddit. I will have to find his post. Basically he uses qualifying stats and "keystone drivers" to search for consisitencies. He finds the consistencies than apply it to connected drivers
Fatest at top

lewis
Something like that.. Hope i can find his analysis. It does make sense somewhat.
Any luck with a link to that guys work ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

04 Nov 2017, 03:15
Fatest at top

lewis
Does he make comparisons between drivers in the same machinery and relate them all through these teammate links?
And yeah, any luck on the link, do you remember the sub? Was it f1statistics?

PlatinumZealot

The google search was very difficult. I am on track to finding that user's analysis but not quite there yet. So here is some other meat to chew on in the meantime. This was another comparison i viewed. It is from another user, "whatthefat." He has visited f1technical before. The raw qualifying info is here. We can ask him to do the cross comparison for us if anything. Trust me on this, this guy is the king of statistical analysis.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... g_records/

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

05 Nov 2017, 07:04
The google search was very difficult. I am on track to finding that user's analysis but not quite there yet. So here is some other meat to chew on in the meantime. This was another comparison i viewed. It is from another user, "whatthefat." He has visited f1technical before. The raw qualifying info is here. We can ask him to do the cross comparison for us if anything. Trust me on this, this guy is the king of statistical analysis.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... g_records/

https://imgur.com/bAXoKiq.jpg
This user is the guy behind https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/

henry

Go Trulli
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

mendis
mendis

Brought it here aus to not pollute the team thread. Not sure if this was ideal, but this was the only driver comparison thread i found in search.
DGP123 wrote: ↑
10 May 2023, 09:48
mendis wrote: ↑
10 May 2023, 05:49
10 May 2023, 01:33

Problem with Max is that he's just like Vettel in 2013 at this point. He hasn't faced a serious rival in the same car to really know how good he is. Sadly Christian would never pair him with Lando or LeClerc.
What fight did Lewis have in his winning years, with those dominant cars? I am really curious.
Agree. Needs a direct teammate battle. Hamilton matched Alonso in his debut season, Hamilton v Rosberg twice went to AD. He had the battle with Vettel throughout the 2017 season. Three world champions.

Premature to put him amongst the greatest, as Max lucked out in, 21’, when he looked beaten by Hamilton, and then he’s beaten a pretty poor Perez. Not even comparable.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hamilton matched a compromised Alonso, where entire McLaren was against him. Nothing went to AD in 2014. It was the reliability problems and the farsical double points in AD that made it look like that. Rosberg was just another poor driver. Lewis lost 2016 because of his own mistakes with poor starts and as a result he got screwed multiple times in the midfield. 2017 he won thanks to Vettel f**** up the season with his driver errors and Ferrari's usual gaffes.

If not for Silverstone take out and a Baku blow out, Lewis wouldn't even be a contender in 2021. He was beaten convincingly in AD21.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

The thread is not about Hamilton.

Leave it out please
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

10 May 2023, 12:17
He was beaten convincingly in AD21.
Er, this is not "beaten convincingly" at all. It's beating your rival convincingly until the race director acts incorrectly and gifts your rival the result.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mcdenife
mcdenife

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
10 May 2023, 18:13
Er, this is not "beaten convincingly" at all. It's beating your rival convincingly until the race director acts incorrectly and gifts your rival the result.

https://ibb.co/pPyQ0Tb
Sigh!! Why oh why do you allow yourself to be baited into a response? Just when we were breathing a sign of relief that the forum idiots have been moved on so we can all get back to enjoying meaningful debates, discussions etc, this response will simply drag the forum back into the gutter.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mcdenife wrote: ↑
10 May 2023, 18:49

Sigh!! Why oh why do you allow yourself to be baited into a response? Just when we were breathing a sign of relief that the forum idiots have been moved on so we can all get back to enjoying meaningful debates, discussions etc, this response will simply drag the forum back into the gutter.
The alternative is to allow false narratives to be promulgated. "Fake news" in modern parlance.

This is a technical forum - the stuff posted here ought to be correct, oughtn't it?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mendis
mendis

10 May 2023, 23:06
mcdenife wrote: ↑
10 May 2023, 18:49

The alternative is to allow false narratives to be promulgated. "Fake news" in modern parlance.

This is a technical forum - the stuff posted here ought to be correct, oughtn't it?
In other words....