Engine noise and microphone test

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GM7

Engine noise and microphone test

During the last 2 GP, Force India tried a new microphone on Perez's car. The goal of this new microphone is to have a better engine sound on onboard cam.

You can see the first result on this onboard :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_igFuXobNE

What do you think about this new microphone ?

In my opinion the actual onboard sound is not representative of the real engine noise, especially during the downshifting, the real noise is muffled by the sidepode. So the new microphone is an improvment but the sound is a little bit to acute in comparaison with the real noise.

AJI
AJI

Re: Engine noise and microphone test

It sounds pretty similar to trackside to me (obviously without the doppler effect, or reverb, and you only get to hear a single car for a few seconds at the track), but you're right about the down shifts. I've never really heard that so prominently.

GM7

New setup test by Russell during FP1 (50% exhaust mic,50% old engine mic). IMO it's perfect.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

still sounds like a lawnmower.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Now all the technical details from the turbo/mgu and air valves are muffled, not right imo. Also the old exhaust fumes were rich and still burning/expanding after exiting the pipes and the enormous amount of volume caused all kinds of reflections/echos around the track. I still mis that magic.

NathanE
NathanE

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 00:11
still sounds like a lawnmower.
I want your lawnmower!

thedutchguy

GM7 wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 00:01
New setup test by Russell during FP1 (50% exhaust mic,50% old engine mic). IMO it's perfect.
The new mic on its own lacks body, lacks any form of emotion. It might as well be a kitchen blender.
Mixed with the 'old' mic it's a little better, but it's still nothing to get excited about.

Here's some reference of an F1 car could sound onboard around interlagos:

zac510
zac510

They're all just an engine with revs going up and down, they sound the same but for different octaves/frequencies/etc.

nokivasara
nokivasara

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but aside from the natural differencies in the muffled sound from a turbo engine vs the NA engine, isn't there also a different sound from an engine that's near it's rev limit, no matter if it's a 5000rpm redline diesel or a 18000rpm 2.4l V8 in F1?
Todays engines probably are designed for the 15k RPM rev limit but usually hit about 12K, or 80%, no wonder it sounds lame? The first year with these new engines they shifted even earlier, sounding like they didn't even try to race.

If you have a 6000 rpm redline in your car but shift at 4800, does it sound as good as if wringed out to 6000?

I think the engines sound good enough, it's nice to be able to hear the tire squeals and cheering of the crowd.

Maritimer
Maritimer

nokivasara wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 20:16
I may be barking up the wrong tree here but aside from the natural differencies in the muffled sound from a turbo engine vs the NA engine, isn't there also a different sound from an engine that's near it's rev limit, no matter if it's a 5000rpm redline diesel or a 18000rpm 2.4l V8 in F1?
Todays engines probably are designed for the 15k RPM rev limit but usually hit about 12K, or 80%, no wonder it sounds lame? The first year with these new engines they shifted even earlier, sounding like they didn't even try to race.

If you have a 6000 rpm redline in your car but shift at 4800, does it sound as good as if wringed out to 6000?

I think the engines sound good enough, it's nice to be able to hear the tire squeals and cheering of the crowd.
Unless the engine is about to shake itself apart the redline doesn't make a difference in terms of sound other than those few more revs. If the limit was 12k the current units would sound the same as they've already been designed that way, nobody ever intended these ones to actually hit 15k despite the rules allowing it.