As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough: golfball cameras on the nose!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough: golfball cameras on the nose!

https://wtf1.com/post/the-2018-f1-cars- ... en-uglier/

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

[media]https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/934098144186552321[/media]

Next years F1 cars will feature 360° cameras. They will be mounted on the chassis - right in front of the Halo. Mandatory on all cars.

who is in charge of this stuff!!!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Zynerji

Re: As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough - GOLFBALL CAMS ON THE NOSE

The commercial rights holder.

Its about time we get this, although it could be way more elegant.

3jawchuck

Well that image is clearly a temporary solution for testing, it will get tidier and less intrusive.
As Zynerji says, it is about time this arrived.

Andres125sx

360 cameras rules, they provide unique points of view, and don´t worry about aesthetics, the halo will bring all your attention :mrgreen:

I also guess and hope in next season (or should I say this season at this point?) it will be integrated into the car much better, that´s a bolt on solution for testing

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 09:25
360 cameras rules, they provide unique points of view, and don´t worry about aesthetics, the halo will bring all your attention :mrgreen:

I also guess and hope in next season (or should I say this season at this point?) it will be integrated into the car much better, that´s a bolt on solution for testing
At least we could enjoy 180 degrees of images without the damn halo. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Henne

Wait, they won't integrate these in the T Cam?

Manoah2u

No, these will be placed in FRONT of the halo.

i'm not so sure whether these will be 'flush' fit into the body, i can't imagine that happening as the top of the 'life cell' is not that thick and it would surely influence the rigidity negatively.

that means we will see this horrible bulbeous thing right in front of the halo.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Henne

But they could easily replace the current T cam on top of the cars to integrate this 360 cam... That way the design wouldn't chang that much, and the aero flow would hardly be impacted compared to the current T cam.

marmer

current t cam looks awful with the halo as its basically all you can see

OneAlex

Why would you bother putting a 360 degree camera in front of the halo. Who in their right mind would want to rotate the camera around for a close up shot of those monstrosities.

ajprice

Here's the 360 'hamburger' camera used on indycar, a similar unit is mounted on the roof on the Australian V8 supercars series

Image.

I'd be happy with one of those replacing the roll hoop t bar, maybe add a forward facing camera into the halo bar.

Manoah2u

OneAlex wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 11:46
Why would you bother putting a 360 degree camera in front of the halo. Who in their right mind would want to rotate the camera around for a close up shot of those monstrosities.
i think it's rather established that @ the FIA, there's nobody in their right mind over there.

santos

People just like to say bad about everything... Even about a camera mounted on the car. It was the nose, then the livery of Mclaren, the halo... always bashing about something. Unbelievable..

Manoah2u

santos wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 13:09
People just like to say bad about everything... Even about a camera mounted on the car. It was the nose, then the livery of Mclaren, the halo... always bashing about something. Unbelievable..
oh wait, i was mistaken that we live in a dictatorship where you need to bend over and accept everything and like everything no matter what. :roll:

go ahead and tell me the double wiener nose, the platypus nose, the weird caterham nose, the halo, and now this complete ball right on the nose like rudolph the rednosed reindeer is making f1 cars look better? #-o :roll:

they don't, they make it look worse, it's that simple.

'somebody has a different opinion than me. unbelievable!'

santos

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 13:18
santos wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 13:09
oh wait, i was mistaken that we live in a dictatorship where you need to bend over and accept everything and like everything no matter what. :roll:

go ahead and tell me the double wiener nose, the platypus nose, the weird caterham nose, the halo, and now this complete ball right on the nose like rudolph the rednosed reindeer is making f1 cars look better? #-o :roll:

they don't, they make it look worse, it's that simple.

'somebody has a different opinion than me. unbelievable!'
I don't care that much about the aesthetic of the cars. Althought, i agree that some of the solutions over the years could be better. But that was something about the design of the car. This is just a camera... I understand the people who doesn't like the halo, but about a camera? No, sorry. Even more, it will give images that we never had before.